Listening-Reading materials for French

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
alexidsa
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1?), French (beginner)

Listening-Reading materials for French

Postby alexidsa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 am

I've started following the Listening-Reading method for French. The first book was obviously Le Petit Prince. At first I was working with two books (English and French) and I did not like it (hard to follow at my level, you can not check this or that word/phrase in other column, etc.). Then I found a bilingual edition and I'm very happy about it.

Now I'm concerned about next bilingual books' choice. Based on the books available here, I'm considering Le Rouge et le Noire, Germinal and Madame Bovary. But in the reviews and comments I see again and again people mentioning the significantly outdated language used in these books.

What books would you recommend?

P. S. I'd like to use available parallel texts, not to create my own ones at the moment.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Listening-Reading materials for French

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:52 pm

First, let me welcome you to the forum. When you have a chance check out our French language group, Les Voyageurs [shameless self promotion :lol: ].

You did not say what level of French you are at, so it is a bit difficult to recommend books. When you have a chance please give us some background on your self.

Personally, I have not seen a lot of dual-language, dual-column books. Most of the dual-language books for English speakers who are learning French have a format that is French paragraph then English paragraph. Other members may have more information on this than me.

My way of using the listening-reading method is to first read the English version, followed by reading the French version while listening to the audio of the French version. Currently, I'm working on L'île mystérieuse by Jules Verne. I find most of material I use on Project Gutenberg and Librivox.

I look forward to following your progress,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

alexidsa
White Belt

Postby alexidsa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I've been learning (very intensively) French for a couple of months, so I suppose my level is A1-A2. But as I understand, it should not be a problem for Listening-Reading method as it is supposed to be used at the Beginner phase by reading huge novels. Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:12 pm

I almost forgot, there is a discussion about extensive reading here: Extensive reading. :D
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:58 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm

reineke wrote:
alexidsa wrote:I've started following the Listening-Reading method for French. The first book was obviously Le Petit Prince. At first I was working with two books (English and French) and I did not like it (hard to follow at my level, you can not check this or that word/phrase in other column, etc.). Then I found a bilingual edition and I'm very happy about it.

Now I'm concerned about next bilingual books' choice. Based on the books available here, I'm considering Le Rouge et le Noire, Germinal and Madame Bovary. But in the reviews and comments I see again and again people mentioning the significantly outdated language used in these books.

What books would you recommend?

P. S. I'd like to use available parallel texts, not to create my own ones at the moment.

I would not worry about Stendhal's language. You may wish to consider The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's easier to read and some 60 years fresher than Le Rouge et le Noire.

To add on to this: it might first seem counter-intuitive to read translated fiction, but it does tend to be easier for learners, and I find translations use more modern language and constructions than the originals, so they might be a good choice.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:21 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

alexidsa
White Belt

Postby alexidsa » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 am

Thank you guys for The Picture of Dorian Gray recommendation. I've read it long time ago and watched the film recently, so I think that will be a good choice for my next L-R book. I was also considering Master and Margarita as I'd read it many times both in Russian (my native language) and in English. But unfortunately http://www.farkastranslations.com does not have it in English while I prefer to use English as L1 to increase my English exposure.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:02 pm

alexidsa wrote:I was also considering Master and Margarita as I'd read it many times both in Russian (my native language) and in English.

Would this parallel text of M&M work for you? I know no Russian, so I am not 100% sure what it is. I found it by searching for 'Master and Margarita parallel' (but without the quotes).

Best wishes.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:05 am

I bought "Un Coeur Simple" in a wonderful interlinear text format at www.interlinearbooks.com
The audio is free online too.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”