The usage of "mistrust"

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Mike373
Languages: Farsi is my mother language and I'm learning English.

The usage of "mistrust"

Postby Mike373 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:45 pm

Hello everyone
I wonder if this sentence and the usage of "mistrust" in the sentence is correct.
By the way English is not my first language.

Code: Select all

The continuation of this action will mistrust countries to the UN resolutions.
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: The usage of "mistrust"

Postby tastyonions » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:01 am

It’s incorrect. “Mistrust” means “be suspicious of,” so try substituting that into your sentence:

“The continuation of this action will [be suspicious of] countries to the UN resolutions.”

Makes no sense. I think you meant something like:

“The continuation of this action will cause countries to mistrust (the) UN resolutions.”

Whether the last “the” works depends on whether you’re talking about some specific resolutions or UN resolutions in general.
7 x

Mike373
Languages: Farsi is my mother language and I'm learning English.

Postby Mike373 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm

tastyonions wrote:It’s incorrect. “Mistrust” means “be suspicious of,” so try substituting that into your sentence:

“The continuation of this action will [be suspicious of] countries to the UN resolutions.”

Makes no sense. I think you meant something like:

“The continuation of this action will cause countries to mistrust (the) UN resolutions.”

Whether the last “the” works depends on whether you’re talking about some specific resolutions or UN resolutions in general.

Thank you so much for your explanation. I knew there was a problem but I didn't know how to fix.
I have another question, how can I avoid such syntax mistakes in the future? This happened because I used a new word that I haven't used before (mistrust).
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:27 pm

Mike373 wrote:...I have another question, how can I avoid such syntax mistakes in the future? This happened because I used a new word that I haven't used before (mistrust).

You can search google by using the term "mistrust in a sentence"

If you don't have a native speaker around, which if you are in Iran or Afghanistan is unlikely, then use google to search for good patterns of usage. "Use ______ in a sentence" is a good prompt to start with.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”