Office-themed media in German

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Re: Office-themed media in German

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:25 am

SvenFromSkyrim wrote:I appreciate your reply, but I asked about books or tv shows explicitly. A2-B1 level course isn't something I'm searching for anyway since you can see I know German at around B2 level.
There's a German adaptation of the UK TV show "The Office" called "Stromberg," which obviously features a lot of office terminology.
It's definitely not my cup of tea, but you might find it helpful for the terminology.
Here's a short clip.

It has been released on DVD and some episodes are also available online.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:21 am

The clip from the Office which Doitsujin links is not accessible in my country, so maybe it isn't in SkyRim either. Or you have to be an elder yourself...
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 am

Last edited by DaveAgain on Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:30 am

Iversen wrote:Well, I suppose every single public German TV station has a Mediathek of sorts - couldn't you get lots of business oriented programs from B2 and up from them?

This is a great idea. Watching business oriented new or documentaries would help you work on your German for business, but also help your general knowledge so you know what you're talking about when it comes to interviews.
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

SvenFromSkyrim
Languages: Polish (N), German (B2), Spanish (beginner), French (beginner), Norwegian (beginner)

Postby SvenFromSkyrim » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:32 pm

Yes, thanks for this idea of watching business-related shows on mediathek. I used it already, but mainly for quizz-shows in German (which I love) and some documentaries.

And yes, I also don't see the video of the German version of The Office, but it's no problem, I should be able to find it on my own. I watched already American and (the original) British version of this show, so why not try the German one?

DaveAgain, I'm not sure why you crossed off your recommendations (maybe because they're not strictly business-oriented?) but I appreciate your input nonetheless. I'm considerin giving Schwarzwaldklinik a try - it's pretty retro series but that's exactly its charm and Schwarzwald is a beautiful region, so watching this series might also bring in some aesthetic values, not only purely educational ones.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:19 pm

Iversen wrote:The clip from the Office which Doitsujin links is not accessible in my country, so maybe it isn't in SkyRim either. Or you have to be an elder yourself...

Nor here in the USA.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”