Office-themed media in German

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
SvenFromSkyrim
Languages: Polish (N), German (B2), Spanish (beginner), French (beginner), Norwegian (beginner)

Office-themed media in German

Postby SvenFromSkyrim » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:16 am

Hi, I'm studying German for work-related purposes (among other things). In my new job I'll be speaking with clients in German and also write e-mails in this language. I'd like to immerse myself with work-related business German. I already made an Anki deck with various phrases that might come in handy in the workplace, but of course it'd be nice to also consume some media, that will provide both entertainment and education. I'd like for you to recommend me mainly German books or TV shows (I'd like something that will last longer than say a single movie or a 20-minute YouTube video - I've watched a lot of those anyway). Btw, I've watched already a German TV Series called Bad Banks so don't recommend me this one since I know it. Aside from that, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Office-themed media in German

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:02 pm

Not quite as fun as a novel or drama, but Salesforce has an extremely extensive free learning site called trailhead that is available in many languages including German. I learned a lot of French business jargon from it.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:49 pm

Besides scripted TV and movies, I've always found German formal writing textbooks to be really good at giving the vocabulary examples you need to communicate certain things. One example is the Duden Ratgeber series. I first read through one of their books about formal letters in 2016 or so, and just saw that they've continued to publish new editions. They're more expensive than other "Briefe Schreiben" type books on Amazon, but I would go for Duden quality every time.
3 x

SvenFromSkyrim
Languages: Polish (N), German (B2), Spanish (beginner), French (beginner), Norwegian (beginner)

Postby SvenFromSkyrim » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:41 pm

Axon wrote:Besides scripted TV and movies, I've always found German formal writing textbooks to be really good at giving the vocabulary examples you need to communicate certain things. One example is the Duden Ratgeber series. I first read through one of their books about formal letters in 2016 or so, and just saw that they've continued to publish new editions. They're more expensive than other "Briefe Schreiben" type books on Amazon, but I would go for Duden quality every time.

Thank you for your reply. I'll look into Duden Ratgeber series, especially since I see already that they have a book about effective communication at job interviews - since I'll be applying in the near future, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

I still wait for recommendations of books and TV shows. I'd want to have a try at transcribing German B2/C1 audio since I heard this is one of the most effective ways of gaining fluency at targeted language. Since you need to have someone proficient to look at your transcriptions to make sure you're doing it well, I had to think about a little modified process since I self-learn German. I wanted then to find a book in German in both traditional and audiobook versions, transcribe from audiobook and then check if there are any omissions in the traditional book :) I know this might sound a little elaborate and needlessly complicated, but I liked this idea of mine. Of course the same can be done with TV shows - if they have subtitles provided in German, of course and nowadays a lot of them do on various streaming sites.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:26 pm

What's the field you'll be working in? There are a lot of different office jobs out there... The normal "office vocabulary" may be the smaller thing compared to your actual field of work. But that depends on what field/type of job it actually is.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

SvenFromSkyrim

Postby SvenFromSkyrim » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:54 am

tiia wrote:What's the field you'll be working in? There are a lot of different office jobs out there... The normal "office vocabulary" may be the smaller thing compared to your actual field of work. But that depends on what field/type of job it actually is.

To be frank, I'm still not sure in which field I'll be working - it can be finance or IT, but if I don't find a job there, I'll simply look elsewhere, like in logistics. The key is to feel comfortable with formal Deutsch when applying for a job, so I'd prefer taking a more general approach. Feel free to recommend any books or shows that involve formal, business setting (but of course modern, not from 19th century for example lol) :D
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:35 pm

------------------------------------------------
https://academy.europa.eu/search/index. ... r+business
--------------------------------------------------------------
https://a2-b1-beruf.vhs-lernportal.de/
A2-B1-Deutschkurs Beruf
https://a2-b1-beruf.vhs-lernportal.de/w ... 0Sd8bc67f2
---------------
higher level:
https://b2-beruf.vhs-lernportal.de
and a phone app:
App B2-Beruf
Last edited by Kraut on Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

SvenFromSkyrim

Postby SvenFromSkyrim » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

I appreciate your reply, but I asked about books or tv shows explicitly. A2-B1 level course isn't something I'm searching for anyway since you can see I know German at around B2 level.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:24 pm

Well, I suppose every single public German TV station has a Mediathek of sorts - couldn't you get lots of business oriented programs from B2 and up from them?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:52 pm

General Business:

Manager Magazin: [Search for Manager Magazin online] (Similar to Forbes)
Handelsblatt: [Search for Handelsblatt online] (Similar to The Financial Times)
WiWo (Wirtschaftwoche): [Search for WiWo online] (Focuses on economics and business)
Impulse: [Search for Impulse online] (Management magazine)
Führungskräfte Magazin: [Search for Führungskräfte Magazin online] (Leadership magazine)
Die Welt (Wirtschaft): [Search for Die Welt Wirtschaft online] (Business section of the daily newspaper Die Welt)
Focus Money: [Search for Focus Money online] (Personal finance magazine)
€uro am Sonntag: [Search for €uro am Sonntag online] (Sunday newspaper with a business section)

Specific Industries:

Brandeins: [Search for Brandeins online] (Marketing magazine)
automotive: [Search for automotive online] (Automotive industry magazine)
electronic engineering: [Search for electronic engineering online] (Electronics and engineering magazine)
LOGISTIK HEUTE: [Search for LOGISTIK HEUTE online] (Logistics magazine)
MM Maschinenmarkt: [Search for MM Maschinenmarkt online] (Mechanical engineering magazine)
TextilWirtschaft: [Search for TextilWirtschaft online] (Textile industry magazine)
Bauernzeitung: [Search for Bauernzeitung online] (Agriculture magazine)

Additional Resources:

German Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DIHK): [Search for Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag online] (Offers business resources and publications)
StartUp Magazin: [Search for StartUp Magazin online] (Focuses on startups and entrepreneurship)
Deutsche Bundesbank (German Central Bank): [Search for Deutsche Bundesbank online] (Provides economic reports and publications)

I don't know German, but my Google-fu is strong.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”