How to learn french?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: How to learn french?

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:50 pm

leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Well, given that the OP is in France according to the first post,
and he is yet another one-hit-wonder :lol:

Might have already learned by now. It has been over a month! Probably already at C1.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Tumlare
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Swedish (B2+, main focus)
German (dabbling; goal: A1 by August)

Studied in the past but can no longer speak: French, Japanese, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19877

Postby Tumlare » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:43 pm

dubendorf wrote:I'm curious about the advice to sign up for an in-person course for someone hoping to learn on a short timeline. I guess it depends on the quality of the course/teacher and the motivation of your fellow students. My only experience with language courses was through middle school/high school, which taught me some, but seemed pretty slow since most people weren't fully engaged in the material. (By slow, I mean after 4-5 years, I was probably A1/A2). I might have the opportunity to take free or cheap(er) courses through work, but I feel like I might be able to make faster progress and use my time more efficiently through self-teaching. By which I mean, why sit through a 3 hour lecture twice a week when I could possibly learn faster and more fruitfully by going through a textbook on my own for 40 minutes a day? Does anyone have an opinions of one or both?

The right language class can make a world of difference. I had a fantastic experience taking intensive, immersion-based Swedish classes which were nothing at all like the slow, boring language classes that I did in middle school/high school in the US. I can say with certainty that I wouldn't have progressed as quickly with self study alone; the class was conducted at such a fast pace I really had to push myself to keep up with the exercises and readings. The classes also dedicated a lot of time to speaking in small groups which I found to be hugely beneficial. And finally, they encouraged me to step outside of my comfort zone with exercises/assignments I wouldn't do if left to my own devices (e.g. writing assignments, which had the additional benefit of being corrected by the teacher).

That being said, finding the right course is important. And if you don't study outside of class time, your progress will be slow.
4 x
SC Swedish listening: : 374 / 18000 374/18000 minutes
SC Swedish reading: : 82 / 10000 82/10000 pages

SC French listening: : 0 / 4500 0/4500 minutes
SC French reading: : 0 / 2500 0/2500 pages

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:34 pm

Le Baron wrote:
leosmith wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Well, given that the OP is in France according to the first post,
and he is yet another one-hit-wonder :lol:

Might have already learned by now. It has been over a month! Probably already at C1.

Now just needs to do another 11 languages within the next year. ;)
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”