Mismatches between narrations and texts of Persian BIble translations

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Mismatches between narrations and texts of Persian BIble translations

Postby Khayyam » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:55 am

I've been reading and listening to the Bible in Persian, and I've hit some snags. I started with www.wordproject.org, which, according to Wikipedia, hosts the Old Persian Version. Everything was going fine until I jumped ahead to Revelation, and then I found that the audio does not match the text. I could understand it well enough to know that it was telling the same story, but was a different translation. So I googled "Bible translations into Persian" to see if I could find the correct text to match the audio (or the correct audio to match the text--whatever, I just want them to match). I found that the Today's Dari Version is actually what the narrator of Revelation on wordproject.org was reading, so I printed that off. However, some of the spoken words are still different from the text--so, I guess there's more than one Today's Dari Version? It's one curveball after another.

Does anyone happen to know (I don't really expect anyone to--this is mostly just a rant) why this is all so screwed up?

Dubious bright side: I get to practice reading-while-listening, but with both of the translations being in the TL rather than one in English and one in the TL.
3 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Re: Mismatches between narrations and texts of Persian BIble translations

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

Can't speak to the specific issue in Persian, and the switch in translations is odd unless the audio project is incomplete and they switched translations until they finish the whole Bible.

That said, audio and translation don't always match up in modern Bangla Bible translations becuase the Bible Society makes minor changes and updates to the text without notification or a change in copyright or edition number. These are usually minimal, but online and print editions vary.
3 x
Bangla Pages: 8453
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”