LINGUATHOR'S new app

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: LINGUATHOR'S new app

Postby emk » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:13 pm

Leif wrote:I would like an app that allows me to listen to YouTube videos, while reading the transcript, with the facility to look up an word in a dictionary. LingQ is the only one I know of, but it has serious useability issues. I use an iPad for la guage learning i.e. not a PC, not Android.

There are at least two pretty good browser-based tools that I've tried for this, which might work on an iPad with a larger screen. Language Reactor allows you to play a YouTube video or Netflix show, and displays subtitles in two languages. You can look up words. Migaku doesn't give you a big, scrollable list of subtitles, but it's better if you want to make flashcards, because it can capture actual audio from the video, and because it has a surprisingly good "explain what this word means in this context" feature using a GPT model.

I don't know if either of these would work in the iPad's Safari browser, but it might be worth trying their free demos?
4 x

LinguaThor
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Spanish (C1), Mandarin (B2), Swedish (B1), Italian (B1), French (B1), Portuguese (A2), Polish (A2)

Postby LinguaThor » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:57 pm

Leif wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Personally, I think the best approach is to do things with a browser plugin, and there are already browser plugins for learners that let you look up individual words with a quick mouse-over or click. The commercial problem is that it is pretty hard to get people to pay a subscription to a browser plugin, so you have to build a web app that is kind of awkward to use -- copy and pasting entire articles is a right pain, and increasingly, sites (especially news sites) are building in JavaScript that prevents copying and pasting articles wholesale, so this app is going to be less and less use over time.

I would like an app that allows me to listen to YouTube videos, while reading the transcript, with the facility to look up an word in a dictionary. LingQ is the only one I know of, but it has serious useability issues. I use an iPad for language learning i.e. not a PC, not Android.

Hi Leif, you can do EXACTLY that with T3 :) We allow you to import a text and then link it to a YouTube video to watch it directly in T3 while reading along with the bilingual transcript. Please check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_40QwaCilw0 where I demonstrate how it works and let me know if you have any questions!
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phk9bOT3cdE
AI CHATBOT Conversation Practice
In this video, I show you how to import any text (even video transcripts!) into our cutting-edge LinguaThor AI Chatbot and turn it into an interactive vocabulary builder. Just copy and paste the content, and the AI will start drilling you with contextualized example sentences and definitions.
0 x

Rumi
Languages: English, Japanese, Hindi

Postby Rumi » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

@LinguaThor....great work on this project..GB WhatsApp...and thanks for the guide too.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”