Training your listening: state of the art?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Training your listening: state of the art?

Postby Cainntear » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:36 pm

jeffers wrote:I agree, and would argue that easier material isn't simply taking a break. The point when you feel like you're not learning anything new is the crucial point for assimilating the language. When you no longer have to ask "what does this mean?", "why is it said like this?", etc, you are absorbing and ingraining the language patterns. The more you listen to native material without having to ask those questions, the more native material you will be able to listen to without asking those questions.

I think there's a mindset thing at play here.

I tend to look on things that are easy as "taking a break" so as to stop myself treating it the same as intense work, and to kind of make myself not look at it as "working"... cos it isn't.

I should also point out that our brains never really take a break. Commonly, research into teaching and learning methods involves an "immediate post-test" after the teaching (or maybe a day after) followed by a "delayed post-test" a week or two later. Subjects typically do better in the delayed post-test than the immediate post-test, because their brain's working away in the background and still learning even in the absence of any subject stimulus.

If you can learn when literally taking a break of lying on a beach for a week, why shouldn't we condition ourselves to view watching a really good film that just happens to be in the language we're learning as a break?
1 x

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Postby Picaboo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:Hello peeps

1) what I understood easily didn't teach me anything
2) what I couldn't understand and had to go back to, try again a few times and finally turn on the subs to understand (to then discover it was words I totally knew), took a disproportionate amount of time compared to having had that same line on Anki through Subs2SRS.

1) I'd be careful with this conclusion. Even if it doesn't "teach you" anything it is engraining common patterns into your brain. It is very good training--you become more and (imperceptibly) more fluent with common patterns and words. There are diminishing returns, of course, but returns nonetheless. Repetition is the road to fluency and may be the main reason everyone is so good with their native language...they've spent decades listening to and understanding "easy things" with a slight stretch here and there.

2) I swear by Language Reactor. You can have two sets of subs going, and blur out one or both. With a mouse over the subs pop up. So you can do it real time with a flick of the wrist. While enjoying the show.

Also, if you pay you can get subs to match the dub which is huge for me as dubs are easier to understand (simpler language, clearer speaking). Not sure if Norwegians ever bother to dub though...
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:40 pm

All, thanks for the various replies. For days I couldn't access the forum, it would load forever and sh!t.

I'll reply in the next days, but many thanks already!
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”