The meaning and usage of "anh" in Vietnamese

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DylJEme
Languages: Studying various languages for singing, I like to know the meaning of each word to properly convey emotion.

The meaning and usage of "anh" in Vietnamese

Postby DylJEme » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:54 pm

Hello, I hope all who read this are well. I'm currently learning a Vietnamese song titled "Vết chân tròn trên cát". Whenever I learn a song in a foreign language, I like to break down the meaning of each word. The word "anh" has been giving me trouble because its use in the song doesn't seem to match any definitions I've found. Does anyone know how it is being used in the following lines?

Anh thương binh vẫn đến trường làng

Bài hát có ngọn núi quê anh xa vời

Như bài ca anh viết trong thầm lặng
0 x

An;
Languages: Vietnamese(N), English(B2), German(A1)

Re: The meaning and usage of "anh" in Vietnamese

Postby An; » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:27 am

"anh" can be literally translated into "he" in english.
In Vietnamese, "anh" is a pronoun used to refer to an older brother or a male person of similar age.
It is also used as a polite form of address for a man, similar to "you" in English but used specifically when speaking to someone older or in a more formal context.

So, in the song, 'anh thương binh' is a polite way to address the wounded soldier, instead of using 'người thương binh.' 'Người' sounds more distant and unfamiliar. Vietnamese typically refers to soldiers as 'anh,' like brothers in the same family, to express gratitude.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”