What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Postby leosmith » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:04 pm

And what exactly do you need to do to "focus on comprehension"? I hear this a lot, but honestly do not know what it means. Does it just mean pay attention? Only consume level-appropriate material (comprehensible input)? When you encounter something you don't understand, does this principal suggest you repeat it/look it up/ask a native speaker until you comprehend it before continuing your studies? Or is this a more general "only do activities that enable you to comprehend" principal?
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: What does "focus on comprehension" mean?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:55 pm

Perhaps "listen actively" (and not just have the audio in the background). Or "do your best to understand" (but don't translate).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:03 pm

In what context is it said? On the face of it, it probably just means that you should focus on trying to comprehend (grasp the meaning of) the text you're reading/listening to, instead of analyzing other linguistic elements like grammar, phonology, etc.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:15 pm

You could also be focusing on things like pronunciation, and then the meaning is less important. Or on grammar or vocabulary, but then you also to some extent have to try to understand the meaning of whatever you are listening to. But even here you may be trying hard to understand everything, which is different from just trying to guess the general meaning of something from scattered clues.
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:45 pm

leosmith wrote:And what exactly do you need to do to "focus on comprehension"? I hear this a lot, but honestly do not know what it means.

I'm not sure you're going to get a useful answer here. People are effectively just saying what they understand when you say those words without any context, which could be very different from what the phrase is being used to mean by the people you've heard and/or read saying it.

I think there's a deeper problem that people might be using it believing they understand it when really they don't. My assumption is always that if someone can't say something clearly, they don't really know clearly. That's why I'm always asking questions -- because I want to know whether they actually do have a clear idea that they're trying to express, and because if they don't, I'm hoping that in trying and failing to find an answer to my question, it might make them realise that they really doing have a clear idea in their head.

It's not a put-down -- I'm not trying to make them feel bad or look bad -- I'm just hoping to get them more open to discussion, because it's through open discussion that we can collectively move towards a better common understanding.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:56 pm

OK, second attempt. Focus on comprehension is NOT focus on pronunciation or external circumstances - then it must be on meaning somehow. Within meaning it can't be relying on sloppy guesswork (I hope), so it has to be the same as trying to understand everything.

Others may have other definitions, but this is mine.
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:42 pm

I find there are situations in spoken language where I understand all the individual words but don't understand the meaning of the sentence. Sometimes, of course, it is because of idioms and strange expressions, but it also occurs in simple speech, often as the result of word order. In other words, it is colloquial. Native speakers have ways of saying things that other native speakers instantly recognize. The meaning could have been expressed in a more straightforward way that non-natives would find easier to understand. But that is not the way natives speak to each other "colloquially".
So how could you "focus on comprehension" of colloquial speech or text? I guess you record the speech, do some STT, translate it so you understand what was said and meant. And then listen to the recording until you can repeatedly understand it. But it takes lots and lots of practice listening and trying to understand native speech. Not easy.
Last edited by tommus on Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:48 pm

tommus wrote:I find there are situations in spoken language where I understand all the individual words but don't understand the meaning of the sentence. Sometimes, of course, it is because of idioms and strange expressions, but it also occurs in simple speech, often as the result of word order. In other words, it is colloquial. Native speakers have ways of saying things that other native speakers instantly recognize. The meaning could have been expressed in a more straightforward way that non-natives would find easier to understand. But that is not the way natives speak to each other "colloquially"...

This is actually a great response and seems to me the 'answer'. In short that comprehension is more than the sum of the parts.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Iversen » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:11 am

tommus wrote:I find there are situations in spoken language where I understand all the individual words but don't understand the meaning of the sentence.

But you tried, and that's the core meaning of 'focus'. You don't have to succeed, and you don't have to produce a translation.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:18 am

Iversen wrote:
tommus wrote:I find there are situations in spoken language where I understand all the individual words but don't understand the meaning of the sentence.

But you tried, and that's the core meaning of 'focus'. You don't have to succeed, and you don't have to produce a translation.

It's not the core meaning of comprehension though!
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”