When to learn L4, and how to choose?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: When to learn L4, and how to choose?

Postby Cainntear » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:29 pm

tiia wrote:But I do disagree, that the numbers would automatically lead to assumptions such as mentioned here:

You're disagreeing with something subtly different from what I said.

"automatically lead to" implies that everyone would do it, but what I was trying to say was that it is inevitable that some people will interpret it that way.

I thought it would be clear, that one would not even do such a comparison between two people and assume according to the order of aquiring a language that one would be better than the other.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but it is very dangerous to generalise from us to the general population. Is your average desk-bound HR drone filtering CVs and application forms going to be well up on what particular language descriptions mean.
Let's make a simple example and assume both of them have one native language and one learned one:

Victoria:
* L1=Spanish, L2=English
Albert:
* L1=French, L2=English

We simply would not know who speaks better English, because it is normal that not everyone is at the same level. Only because we know they both learned English, we know nothing about their level. I may have thought that this would be obvious.

Yes, but the problem is that people can and do interpret these sort of things incorrectly -- it's not obvious to everyone!
That's why we need scales such as CEFR.

Yes, and that's in very wide use on CVs, and is the best option (despite it's fuzziness and lack of clarity).
But again, doing away with the L1, L2, L3,... thing is with the goal of eliminating something that can absolutely be misinterpreted and has been on a number of occasions across the world. I'm pretty certain I've heard native multilinguals complain that they were rejected because they couldn't have "native level" command of language X because it wasn't at the top of the list.

This is something that has been mostly eliminated now.
A major part of that is because of more exposure to international travel, but don't underestimate what effect the elimination of the L1,L2,..,Ln habit has done for this. And while I major part of that is down to the wide adoption of CEFR, that doesn't mean it's safe for us to start bringing back the L1, L2, ..., Ln. People will misunderstand it, becuase they just don't know any better.

But why do I think a term such as L3 would actually make sense?
Simply because when starting a foreign language it often makes a difference, whether someone has already aquired (or tried to aquire) another foreign language.You may be familiar with gramatical terminology, learned, that certain methods worked out or not and all those things that make it easier to learn a second or third foreign language. It doesn't really mean that you can use the language or have very high skills in it, but you may be aware of issues or concepts, that you would otherwise need to understand first.

Yes, but ...
If we're numbering languages, then Victoria first foreign language is arguably Polish, her L5, so L2 wouldn't specifically mean "first foreign language" anyway, and any academics that want to genuine study differences between first-foreign-language and subsequently learned foreign languages would still have to define their own terms to do so.
It's really something that is only of academic interest, because it's not an indicator of relative strength, it's more about the choice of teaching/learning process that will be most effective. And as I said, it's even of very little academic use.
And the big one: the L1, L2, L3, ... thing was actually kind of offensive and Eurocentric, because it built on the notion of monolithic "national" languages. This disregarded the reality of multilingualism in many parts of the world, including parts of Europe where local language users were being suppressed in an attempt to do national myth building. I'm sure as a German you've heard local language being called "just a dialect".

But mainly I just continued using the terms the op was already using, without giving it too much of a thought.

Yes, and I'm sorry about dragging this massively off-topic, but I kind of felt compelled to post, because the L1,L2,...,Ln thing was stopped for very good reason, and the fact that it's starting to gain traction again is concerning to me and something I feel I should speak out against. When I say it's gaining traction again, I mean both online and in education spheres -- the Scottish 1+2 language policy uses L1 to mean the pupils' own language, L2 to mean the first foreign language at primary school and L3 to mean the language started in later years of primary.

A kid from an Urdu-speaking family who goes to an English-speaking primary and is taught French from P1 an Chinese from P5... what's he going to be described like? He's in a school where L1 is English, L2 is French and L3 is Chinese... what number does Urdu, the language of his first words get?

Worse: even Gaelic-medium education officially places English as L1 and Gaelic as L2, which has practical reasons behind it, but isn't particularly complimentary to kids who are native Gaelic speakers and whose English is weaker because it's just less used in their lives.

It's a reinstatement of language that reinforces the notion of monolingualism as the normal thing.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:44 am

L1 as the term for any native languages and L2 as the common name for everything else is definitely better than a mindless numbering according to chronology or some chaotic combination of chronology and skill level. It does not remove the problem of distinguishing the native languages from the rest. For instance a child may live in a multilingual town, but still just use one language in the family and the school. As I wrote above my family got a TV when I was in the 1. or 2. class and 7-8 years old - and from that moment I could hear English and German and pick up some words - but we never spoke anything than Danish in our family. So I don't count those two as native languages, even though I have lived with them from a tender young age and to some extent could understand them. And among my L2's there are some passive ones I just learned to read or understand orally - like Low German from the television channel NDR. So trying to do anything more sophisticated than a simple separation of L1's and L2's according to learning age would be futile.
2 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:50 am

Jj3511 wrote:Is it a terrible idea to start an L4?

I personally wouldn't do it if I were you. You are A2/B1 in two language now - that low level is brutally time-consuming to maintain. And even if you have the time, you may experience a lot of interference, which is common when at least one of your languages is in the A's. I try to study consistently until I reach B2ish before adding a new language. But whatever you decide, good luck!
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”