n+1/2, n+100 & n-1

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: n+1/2, n+100 & n-1

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:50 am

language2015 wrote:Would you watch television in your TL that you couldn't understand well instead of watching easy TL TV.

I won't tell you what I would do, I'll tell you what I have done and still do. I watch the easier content (like Serpent, I'm a massive fan of the Moomins) and harder content, and feel gratified and amazed when they reinforce each other. I study transcripts and watch with subtitles when they're available (and look up words if I have to), and I watch other things without any help at all. I listen to different types of media. As Serpent pointed out, easier does not mean 'made for children' or 'boring'. Audiobooks are easier, because they are slower and clearer. They have the added plus of coming with a premade transcript and then you get LR which is extremely powerful for improving aural comprehension and for picking up new vocabulary and getting used to TL structures. Radio shows and podcasts don't come with the aid of visual clues, but there is usually a lot less going on in them than in most TV programs. Documentaries have all the visual clues, but presenters tend to speak more slowly and carefully. When I started doing these things for Swedish, I was in a much weaker position than you were in for Spanish. I hadn't made it even halfway through any textbook, although I had used FSI and Lingq a bit, and I didn't know most of the words, much less understand them when they were spoken. But I did make progress through doing the things above, through rewatching content until I could hear the words I was reading, through getting my ears used to the easier stuff.
5 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: n+1/2, n+100 & n-1

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Aww, muumimamma approves :D
I do pretty much the same stuff as Elenia, though I don't bother downloading subtitles. I also find GLOSS really helpful :) There's a recording and translation for every lesson (click "source").
As for audiobooks, it depends on the narrator. The more artistic/dramatic, the more fun AND challenging it gets.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”