Language Logs not using flashcards/SRS

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Language Logs not using flashcards/SRS

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Montmorency wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Montmorency wrote:I don't use an automated/computerised SRS system, but I do use Huliganov's "Goldlist" system which is a manual & handrwritten one. It could be described as an SRS, but it's much more flexible than ANKI-type systems and leaves it up to the individual much more.

However, my log isn't really about techniques, and at the moment is mostly a list of podcasts / radio programmes I listen to plus a few other things.

I have also used Iversen's wordlists.

I'd not heard of "Goldlists" before, so I had a read... How do you find it? (I need to re-read the methodology to fully grasp it- too tired to take it all in now). And how did you find Iversen's wordlist approach?

Goldlists: - Well, first of all, the method always appealed to me. You are in control and it is low-stress, or it should be. Actually, because David James says you should only work for about 20 minutes at a time, I was making it stressful for myself, trying to write down 25 words in 20 minutes, especially if I hadn't "gathered" the words somewhere already in advance. David is probably a quicker writer than I am and is obviously more used to it, so maybe he could always do it in 20 minutes. But anyway, I learned just to take it easy and take a bit longer if necessary, or do it in two or more chunks. Also, I wasn't as well-organised as I could have been; David is an accountant and good organisation is probably second nature to him. He does say he applied some ideas from accountancy to this method.

Does it "work"? Well, let's say I still have an open mind on this.

I must admit that for the moment, I'm not actively Gold-listing, although I do have two "Bronze" books that I can go back to and resume at any time. Although I put Goldlisting proper on hold, I did carry on writing down words and phrases in another notebook (now books), but not in Goldlist style, and I haven't been reviewing them, and I made no effort to "learn" them. In principle, when I resume Goldlisting, I'll use the words/phrases in these books as my source material (or some of it), but only if necessary. Because I'm hoping that I will find I know a lot of them by then, and in David's way of doing this, you don't bother to Goldlist what you already know (or even half-know). The principle is to minimise repetition.

However, I haven't been rushing to get back to Goldlisting, partly for various domestic reasons, but also because I've been kind of wandering around other ideas. I often keep coming back for example to Professor Arguelles, and have watched a lot of his videos many times and read his old postings on HTLAL. I am intrigued by the way he says when he is learning a new language, he doesn't really have a way of explicitly learning vocabulary, and he certainly doesn't/didn't use SRS. He starts off with things like Assimil, and then goes on to other parallel texts, and carries on reading texts of increasing difficulty (more or less on the Krashen i+1 principle, I guess).

Then there are people like emk (and others I've read about on HTLAL) who have done incredibly well with massive reading. I'm not doing massive reading at the moment, but I am doing fairly massive listening, and I hope to increase my reading gradually in the near future. Either way, the aim is massive exposure to vocabulary from native sources.

So my ideas are fairly fluid at the moment. I definitely do not have the strong work ethic and devotion to language that Professor Arguelles has (nor half his talent, probably), and I don't have the up-to-date technical knowledge that emk uses to augment his studies, although I do use technology to a certain extent.

Iversen-style wordlists

Well the first thing to say is that they definitely work if you use them. However, I found them fairly stressful, even if it was only self-inflicted stress. The first stress is when you have to consciously memorise it, and come up with some mental mnemonic or whatever. And the second stress is when you come to self-test (and you might repeat this one or more times).

The one thing I have kept from my wordlist days is Iversen's tip to delay writing down the meaning of a word for as long as possible. He writes down usually 7 TL words at a time, and looks them up one by one (or he might be working from a dictionary), but he only writes down the L1 translations after he has written the full list of 7 TL words, so he's holding all 7 meanings in his short term memory for that time. His theory is that this helps it to move to long term memory.

David James also has theories about short and long-term memory, and claims that the thinking behind his Goldlist is based on the research of Hermann Ebbinghaus (learning curves and forgetting curves). From what I've read of Ebbinghaus, I'm not actually convinced that his work supports the Goldlist method. But having said that, if it works, I don't care about the theory, and after all, Ebbinghaus was just one researcher, his work was done a long time ago, and on a very small sample. And GL seems to work for David...

Thank you montmorency,

I genuinely appreciate this well thought out reply to my inquiries.

I've realised I believe that flashcards do not do what I hoped they would do. I mean they probably help for recall and drilling phrases etc, but they don't seem to be giving me much of a feel for the language. I think I'm too slow- I analyse far too much and stop and start too much losing all flow. Plus I'm wanting to draw away from technology a little- whether it happens so much is another thing. Still right now I like the idea of writing over typing, of doing over stopping and entering and of large dusty dictionaries occasionally utilised on the desktop to looking up every word i don't know in my electronic dictionary. Of course we change our ideas constantly and I may return to flashcards, who knows, but for the time being I think i'd like to set them aside for a good while.

I'm not a fan of mnemonics. I used to use them a lot, and it felt natural to me, when i was a child, but now, it feels unnatural, even slow.

I really appreciate the breakdown and experiences on the Goldlist method you discussed. However I'm gravitating towards Professor Arguelles methods. I think if I use a decent course (Assimil currently), translations are provided, and review in second wave expected, so why use flashcards? Combine that with some extensive reading (sometimes easy readers, sometimes bilingual, sometimes electronic with perhaps a little dicionary use) AND some intensive reading with word lists contained down the columns (French learning mag's), then I think it will all tie together naturally. A good mix. I can't necessarily see a desperate need for SRS using these combined materials, i'd have some intensive study and some extensive, and i'd be using some short term memory with the translated word lists in the columns of the articles of my french learning mags calling on short-term memory, but the rest would rely on long-term memory.... I'm just not sure yet whether I will write down some word lists. Perhaps I'll create my own method or do an emk style list in which if by the end of the book/chapter/whatever point i'm still not picking up the meaning of some words, i could look them up from a list created while reading....

We'll see, thanks again for your great reply montmorency... Good luck with your studies!
3 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 am

You're welcome Peter!

And your mix of Arguelles-style and other things seems perfectly logical and rational to me, and if I were starting a language truly from scratch I think I'd probably go in much the same way now.

I really enjoyed graded readers when I was starting to read German, and I've had success with them more recently in Welsh.
One regret is that I don't think I used them as intelligently as I might have done back then with German.
I think I've done better with Welsh, but there aren't all that many of them, so I had to move on to "real books" probably a bit sooner than would be ideal. This is not an insuperable obstacle, and I'm tackling it (or would be if I was better organised :) ) in a number of ways.

When you wrote about perhaps following the emk approach of only looking up words still not known by the end of the chapter/book/whatever...reminds me of something I quoted this evening from a Krashen paper I had read, in another thread. Something like: when we acquire words naturally, (e.g. in L1), we only pick up about 5% of their meaning every time we encounter them, so the more times we encounter them, the better we know them. If this is true - and why not? - then it also supports Iversen when he says (with wordlists), don't bother with all the secondary meanings of words you are trying to learn (and David James says something similar). The "completist" part of me always does want to write down every single possible meaning of a word, and this is something I have to resist (for sheer practical reasons, if nothing else. :-) ).

Thanks for your good wishes, and likewise to you. :-)
3 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:54 am

Wow Montmorency and PeterMollenburg thank you for keeping this topic going. Those are some great post from you two. Peter you might be interested in this method as well Reading Strategies (Vocabulary Acquisition without Anki). I'm testing it now.
2 x
Gone

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:53 am

Rotasu wrote:Wow Montmorency and PeterMollenburg thank you for keeping this topic going. Those are some great post from you two. Peter you might be interested in this method as well Reading Strategies (Vocabulary Acquisition without Anki). I'm testing it now.

Interesting article, thanks Rotasu. It helps boost my confidence that this can and has been done before- in a language less transparent than the one i'm studying. I really should have no worries considering my base vocabulary is rather large now 2 years into learning French. I found the "vocabulary-centric reading" also interesting, thanks again :)
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:01 am

We also have an article on reading strategies :)

Montmorency wrote:The one thing I have kept from my wordlist days is Iversen's tip to delay writing down the meaning of a word for as long as possible. He writes down usually 7 TL words at a time, and looks them up one by one (or he might be working from a dictionary), but he only writes down the L1 translations after he has written the full list of 7 TL words, so he's holding all 7 meanings in his short term memory for that time. His theory is that this helps it to move to long term memory.

Have you tried doing it with less words? 7 is magical and all, but 5 is good too. Also, I find that the list of words has to be balanced. There should be some variation in difficulty, topic, part of speech, phonetics. I think this method works best when some of the words can be grouped but there are deviations from each pattern.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am

Serpent wrote:We also have an article on reading strategies :)

Thanks Serpent, some food for thought there. What do you do by the way, for vocabulary acquisition? Do you use SRS?
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:33 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Thanks Serpent, some food for thought there. What do you do by the way, for vocabulary acquisition? Do you use SRS?
I've done SRS before and I'm open to doing it when needed (sentence cards only), but currently I don't use it. I've also liked Iversen's wordlist method, but I think I burned out on it. At one point I added my lists to SRS :shock: (I numbered them and reviewed entire lists, which probably isn't a bad idea per se)

I mostly just use native materials nowadays, as well as materials on etymology etc. I also like the playing with vocab technique that's a lesser-known part of the LR method, but in practice I don't use it much if at all.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Serpent wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Thanks Serpent, some food for thought there. What do you do by the way, for vocabulary acquisition? Do you use SRS?
I've done SRS before and I'm open to doing it when needed (sentence cards only), but currently I don't use it. I've also liked Iversen's wordlist method, but I think I burned out on it. At one point I added my lists to SRS :shock: (I numbered them and reviewed entire lists, which probably isn't a bad idea per se)

I mostly just use native materials nowadays, as well as materials on etymology etc. I also like the playing with vocab technique that's a lesser-known part of the LR method, but in practice I don't use it much if at all.

Thanks Serpent! (I was just curious about your methods given your passion for language learning and your experience).
2 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:33 pm

I had to stop Anki. It became a false friend for me or a crutch. I would look up at the end of the day and all I had done was Anki. No reading or listening or writing.

It is a good program IMO. But pulling vocabulary words from a novel or short story and manually working an Iversens word list worked better for me.

BOLIO
4 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

anki was a big part of my life about 18 months. Something happened to me and I *can't stand* it right now. I think that anki-ing more 10000 sentence cards was overkill. I probably should have been doing extensive reading at the same time.

I will use anki again, when I see something that makes it worthwhile. I also did Iversen word lists in anki; it felt very useful at first, and then as the reviews piled up, it got boring. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere...

Now I just read.
3 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”