Language Logs not using flashcards/SRS

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Language Logs not using flashcards/SRS

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm also a member of that group. They just bore me.
2 x

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Oops forgot to subscribe to this topic.

Thank you for the replies.
1 x
Gone

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:21 pm

People may have noticed that I make a lot of this "----No srs" topics. I do so that I can look at past replies when ever I get into a slump. I still look over my first post here about studying without srs when ever I need that boost to see that it is possible. I know people were learning languages without srs back in the day but now it's all you see online :( Anytime you looking for tips, someone going to say "Just use srs". No one mentions how it was done before, unless they mentioning a book (iguanamon/mult-track).

I wish I had started learning a language easier so I wouldn't have to go 20 pages deep in a Google search without seeing the words anki/srs...
3 x
Gone

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:27 pm

I confirm that I don't use SRS. I tried it briefly and when I dropped it altogether it was a real feeling of relief. What I did wrong next was do only extensive output, and not paying much atention to what I was reading/watching. Nowadays iguanamon's multitrack approach (though there aren't those many tracks for each language on my vinils) is how I work for ensuring I'm learning grammar and vocabulary in a focused AND intensive AND present way and being exposed to the content as often as necessary in order to learn in the long run (I also dislike any repetition, not just SRS).
5 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:19 pm

I use srs, but very rarely. It is definitely not the backbone of my study, and I don't log about it much. I get sick of it pretty easily, too. Like spoonary, I don't log so much about techniques because my main technique is to throw caution to the wind and dive straight into native materials. So my log might not be much use either.
2 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 pm

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm

I tried to but it was more an exercise in getting 100% on the reviews than learning a bloody language. So now I don't. I just learn shit and if I don't or do well then...
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:51 pm

My log is SRS-free as of now, and I'm unlikely to post about it unless I discover something mindblowing (or unless someone asks about my experience with SRS). In any way, it's never going to be a major topic for me, though it feels stifling to promise I definitely won't write about it. And you make me wanna go back to SRS :lol: (I have some cards but I don't remember when I last did any repetitions)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Rotasu wrote:I know people were learning languages without srs back in the day but now it's all you see online :( Anytime you looking for tips, someone going to say "Just use srs". No one mentions how it was done before, unless they mentioning a book (iguanamon/mult-track).

I wish I had started learning a language easier so I wouldn't have to go 20 pages deep in a Google search without seeing the words anki/srs...
google "learning languages -anki -srs" :) Although on here all experienced members agree that SRS is not enough.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Serpent wrote:google "learning languages -anki -srs" :) Although on here all experienced members agree that SRS is not enough.

Yeah, the French half of my log is pretty much SRS free, because it's just a list of cool things I'm reading and watching. But the Spanish half is pretty much "All SRS, All the Time", so that won't help you much. Sorry. :-(

Iversen's log is always interesting, and he doesn't do SRS at all (he does word lists instead). Bakunin's log is great, and he only does a very tiny amount of SRS. I'm not aware of any Listening/Reading-focused logs at the moment, but you could look around—it's a great technique, and it has been very popular in the past on HTLAL.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”