Advice for minimizing my accent in German?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: Advice for minimizing my accent in German?

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:26 am

Le Baron wrote:The usual theorising about oral production using things like IPA etc. which has next to limited value for people working on their own and doesn't even cover the nuances of oral production.

People who study IPA (instead of reading about it without knowing what they're doing) actually practice it both in production and reception. It is immensely useful for people working on their own once they figure out what all those "high-mid front rounded vowel" and "voiced palatal affricate" mean (although, of course, it seems pretty much nonsensical in the beginning).

Le Baron wrote:People may well learn to hear the difference, but this is no guarantee of reproduction. A common reproduction 'error' in Dutch I hear a lot is pronouncing the 'ui' in e.g. the word 'huis' as the German 'eu' such as in 'Freud'. I've tested it by asking such people if they think these sounds are different and they correctly say 'yes', but still can't reproduce the difference. Someone I know has been doing it for 21 years.

As far as I know the pronunciation of the /œʏ/ diphthong in modern Netherlandic Dutch has practically turned into [ɐ̜ʏ] or even [aʉ]. The unrounded starting point is markedly different. Even pronouncing it like in German "Haus" would be closer than like in "Häuser". Although, more conservative varieties still have it rounded (so that it sounds actually like [œʏ]), and I don't know the situation in Belgian Dutch, which, I guess, still has predominantly the more conservative pronunciation for this diphthong?
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:45 am

Dragon27 wrote:People who study IPA (instead of reading about it without knowing what they're doing) actually practice it both in production and reception. It is immensely useful for people working on their own once they figure out what all those "high-mid front rounded vowel" and "voiced palatal affricate" mean (although, of course, it seems pretty much nonsensical in the beginning).

Yes. It's a useful too.
Dragon27 wrote:As far as I know the pronunciation of the /œʏ/ diphthong in modern Netherlandic Dutch has practically turned into [ɐ̜ʏ] or even [aʉ]. The unrounded starting point is markedly different. Even pronouncing it like in German "Haus" would be closer than like in "Häuser". Although, more conservative varieties still have it rounded (so that it sounds actually like [œʏ]), and I don't know the situation in Belgian Dutch, which, I guess, still has predominantly the more conservative pronunciation for this diphthong?

The sound of 'ui' in 'huis', 'muis' or whatever is not markedly different to what it was. It's nothing like the German 'Haus' at all. The diphthong can be seen in isolation since it is also the word for 'onion', but that's an altered sound with a strong 'y' accent on the end. This shouldn't be taken to represent what it sounds like within words (something very common in French). Relying on diphthong sounds in isolation is okay for checking, but is sometimes a colossal waste of time for learning how they sound within words.
I wanted to mention Belgian pronunciation(s), but it seemed like adding extraneous information. The general sound of a word like 'huis' in Vlaanderen is closer to the word 'heus' (= real-lly), but not identical. This is diversionary though, because the point is about hearing things and being able to hear and discern them, whatever the sound is. Plopping the IPA charts in front of someone with the corresponding audio is just reproducing the very same problem for those who have trouble distinguishing sounds. The IPA isn't a solution to that, it's just another tool and possible help.

There are things in the language learning community which bother me. Chief among them is the tendency to assume everything can be quickly solved with academic methodologies and in an isolated autodidactic way. With everyone marking their own homework and beating every natural obstacle. No-one wants to hear (pun) that they might not (or never) be able to distinguish the fine nuances between sounds, or not be able to ever accurately reproduce them. At least not without some work and being given guidance. Those who manage to imitate sounds better will always fare well, but shouldn't be the yardstick for every learner.

The insistence upon self-correction and being able to self correct sounds is a vast mistake. For so many reasons. I used to hang around with a fellow round about 2005 and we would speak French. He used to say 'cheveux' as 'chevaux' and it seems like no-one had ever mentioned it to him, so he never saw/heard a problem. It was such an easy correction. And the interesting question is whether he couldn't hear the initial difference or if he just muddled up words. Other eyes and ears are always invaluable, it's why writers have editors and people to read their manuscripts; and why self-published books so often contain errors.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:46 am

Le Baron wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I don't know how much looking at phonetics and 'theoretical' oral production actually works.

Theoretical oral production... what even is that?

The usual theorising about oral production using things like IPA etc. which has next to limited value for people working on their own and doesn't even cover the nuances of oral production.

OK, I see what you're trying to say. The core of the misunderstanding is that I don't see IPA as "theory" but merely "notation" -- theorising has to be talking about the whats and whys -- it seems to me you're not talking about theorisation at all, but actually about people who mistakently believe they're talking about "theoretical" stuff, when they're really talking about technicalities while totally ignoring theory.
Cainntear wrote:
Le Baron wrote:In the final analysis it's about how much you can attune your ear to sounds you hear and reproduce them - essentially imitate them.

How can you attune your ear to a sound you can't reproduce?

That's why the bit I've put in bold: 'how much', is relevant. Someone might not be very capable of doing it at all. Some people are very capable of imitating sounds heard.

And an ability to imitate sounds doesn't necessarily mean getting good at doing things right. As I've said before, I had a Spanish teacher who wouldn't correct anyone who pronounced /d/ as either an English alveolar D or an English dental TH, but would "correct" me when I pronounce /d/ as apico-dental [d] where it should have been the apico-dental [ð] allophone. I was saying the correct phoneme, and they weren't; I was "corrected", and they weren't. They were picking up on what the pronunciation sounded like, I was picking up on the theoretical stuff based on my own study of linguistics. I doubt any of them were ever mistaken for native speakers.
Cainntear wrote:Personally, I feel that if I know (approximately) how to carry out the physical motions to reproduce a sound, then I'm more likely to recognise that a sound I hear relates to a particular sound I'm trying to produce for myself. I'm also more likely to detect the subtle differences that set me apart from the native speaker.

Okay, that's you then. Its completely in line with what I described. Someone who is not Cainntear might not do any of that or even be able to.

So someone who is not me might not be able to follow instructions to touch their gumline while saying "D" in Spanish? I find that very hard to believe.
Cainntear wrote:So I suppose it all hangs on what you mean by "theoretical oral production". If you mean failing to engage in practical oral production; sure -- that's a problem. But who even does that?

Lots of people do it.

OK, and again, as I say, I was mislead by your talk about "theoretical". The way I see it, you seem to be believing people who claim to be talking about theoretical linguistics when they do no such thing. As such, I see no reason to suggest theoretical linguistics is valueless, and holding up examples that are not dealing with theory doesn't prove that point.
Cainntear wrote:
Le Baron wrote:This is part of the reason why in another thread I dismissed the notion of total self-correction. There are things you will be able to hear and things you won't be able to hear (yet) no matter how much they are described.

No, but if you're able to say it right even though you can't hear the difference, your brain at least knows that two sounds that might seem the same to your ear are different, and it builds the "boxes" to put the sounds in. If there's a meaningful difference in production, you will learn to hear the difference; if there's no meaningful difference in production, you might never see the need to start learning the distinction.

I don't know what the underlined part means.

What it means is basically what the introduction to Colloquial Hindi told me. Where many languages have a T and a D, Hindi has 4 of each, representing 3 variables of difference. You have t, th, d, dh, T, TH, D, DH; the first four are (IIRC) apico-dental, and the remaining four are retroflex. Anything notated with an H is apirated; anything without is unaspirated. The t/d part is voicing as a phonemic distinction. A European language speaker will likely never hear that there are 8 phonemes where their own language has only two, and the teacher who wrote the book stated that you can't learn what you don't ever notice. Her line was that even if you never hear the difference, it's important that you make the distinction in your speech, because you will not be understood if you don't.

If there's something that I am capable of doing that others aren't, it's that I can learn to link received sound with my own produced sound. If other people can't do this, then they still have the fallback to the book author's line that being able to pronounce something you can't hear means you'll at least never by misunderstood.
We say things correctly when we can identify the sound, hear the difference and have the ability to reproduce them (which might only be a matter of practise).

So you are saying that someone who can correctly produce sounds in English perfectly cannot "say things correctly" if they can't hear the difference? That seems like a bit of a stretch.
It's perfectly possible to hear things, but not have the ability to reproduce them.

"Hear things", yes. But the lack of ability to reproduce them is because you do not perceive them correctly, or rather that you do not perceive what exactly they are doing.

The fact that most English people can understand but not imitate a Scottish accent is because they don't know the fundamental differences between the sound systems north and south of the border. How do you learn the fundamental differences without looking into theory?
That's how a massive audience can instantly recognise the voices Rory Bremner does, but can't do them.

Funny you should name a Scotsman who studied modern language at an English university to me of all people. I do strongly suspect that Bremner's career as an impressionist was a result of him consciously studying the "theoretical" side of phonology....
I can recognise musical notes sung and played, I can name them, but I can't always reproduce them vocally. I'm not a trained a singer, I don't practise to be one.

I thought you were arguing that learning to consciously produce was a waste of time, and implying that production might come as a result of input...? You're losing me here.
Some people do better than me, some people do worse. Some people can't even hear the notes, they are unlikely to reproduce them, because in fact what are they reproducing? They can't hear anything.

There is no way to accurately describe the physical act of producing a C# with your voice. However, I can describe how to produce T or D. Also, I can accurately describe the physical act of producing a C# on a piano.
There are very few people on the planet who are literally tone deaf. For most people, the act of playing an instrument develops their musical ear far more than listening non-stop to MP3s or popular, folk or classical music, or any mixture of them. But even a genuinely tone-deaf individual would be able to reproduce a song on a piano with direct instruction.

People may well learn to hear the difference, but this is no guarantee of reproduction. A common reproduction 'error' in Dutch I hear a lot is pronouncing the 'ui' in e.g. the word 'huis' as the German 'eu' such as in 'Freud'. I've tested it by asking such people if they think these sounds are different and they correctly say 'yes', but still can't reproduce the difference. Someone I know has been doing it for 21 years.

Do they know what the difference is? That's where I think theoretical articulatory phonology comes into things: tell someone what the difference is and they'll be able to do it.
Last edited by Cainntear on Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:51 am

You'll have to fix the quoting or I can't make out who wrote what.
1 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:00 pm

Le Baron wrote:There are things in the language learning community which bother me. Chief among them is the tendency to assume everything can be quickly solved with academic methodologies and in an isolated autodidactic way. With everyone marking their own homework and beating every natural obstacle.

That bothers me too.

What bothers me more is when people assume I'm assuming things.

Imagine we were discussing economic theory and I went off on one and suggested that the problem with internet economics was the tendency to assume everything can be quickly solved with academic methodologies. Would that not come across as pretty insulting to you...?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Cainntear wrote:That bothers me too.

What bothers me more is when people assume I'm assuming things.

Imagine we were discussing economic theory and I went off on one and suggested that the problem with internet economics was the tendency to assume everything can be quickly solved with academic methodologies. Would that not come across as pretty insulting to you...?

I saw in your previous post that you think I'm simply rubbishing linguistics as a study. I'm not doing that. I'm addressing how (some) language learners who are working on their own fall into problems by assuming they can simply do a thing and get the desired result. Or that they don't even know something is wrong and will never address it.

With regard to economics, it could indeed be said that a huge problem exists because of the application of blind academic methodologies. Usually mathematical modelling without really thinking about what is being modelled.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:41 pm

Le Baron wrote:I saw in your previous post that you think I'm simply rubbishing linguistics as a study. I'm not doing that. I'm addressing how (some) language learners who are working on their own fall into problems by assuming they can simply do a thing and get the desired result. Or that they don't even know something is wrong and will never address it.

So what you're saying is that in the middle of a discussion with me about specific points, you decided to go off on a tangent and talk about the mistakes other people who are not involved in this conversation make...? Do you not see how people who are involved in this conversation might think you're having a go at them...?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:06 pm

Cainntear wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I saw in your previous post that you think I'm simply rubbishing linguistics as a study. I'm not doing that. I'm addressing how (some) language learners who are working on their own fall into problems by assuming they can simply do a thing and get the desired result. Or that they don't even know something is wrong and will never address it.

So what you're saying is that in the middle of a discussion with me about specific points, you decided to go off on a tangent and talk about the mistakes other people who are not involved in this conversation make...? Do you not see how people who are involved in this conversation might think you're having a go at them...?

Well no, because that's not what has happened; who are the 'not involved' people? The topic of the thread is clear, to which I offered an answer on page 1 and in which I'm primarily interested. In the meantime it drifted a little in reference to sitting around listening and never talking (for +/-4 years) which I was moved to address because I think one has to put in physical effort to 1) develop good pronunciation and 2) to facilitate more fluency with speaking. I was also misrepresented by german2k01, so I addressed it.

When you quoted me I answered, but this discussion is really about how to help develop a reasonable TL accent and (from my perspective at least) possible/probable pitfalls in doing so. From a position of having gone through the process a few times; as many here have done so the varying opinions are being offered.

I'm not sure why you're put out. Please explain.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)
Italian (beg)

Postby leosmith » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:35 pm

Le Baron wrote:The insistence upon self-correction and being able to self correct sounds is a vast mistake.
Not for me. For example, I checked the tts for two of the words you were saying sounded similar (heus German and huis Dutch) and don't find them similar. Am I the exception, or are you? If you don't feel confident about your pronunciation, then you are free to work with a speech therapist, but I wouldn't assume that most learners need to.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:31 pm

leosmith wrote:
Le Baron wrote:The insistence upon self-correction and being able to self correct sounds is a vast mistake.
Not for me. For example, I checked the tts for two of the words you were saying sounded similar (heus German and huis Dutch) and don't find them similar. Am I the exception, or are you? If you don't feel confident about your pronunciation, then you are free to work with a speech therapist, but I wouldn't assume that most learners need to.

Heus isn't German it is Dutch (as well as 'huis'). The point wasn't that they sound the same or similar, they absolutely don't, but that Belgian Dutch pronounces 'huis' like 'heus'. You've misunderstood.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”