Arabic writing program

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Alis
Languages: French (B2), Arabic (A1)

Arabic writing program

Postby Alis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:27 am

Hello! I am learning Arabic and I would love to install the Arabic keyboard on my computer in order to type in Arabic. I downloaded (Jordanian) Arabic in the language settings but I can't seem to access it in a document...(I use Libre Office writer, an open source alternative to Word).
Is there a way to forego the language settings? Does anyone know a writing program I could download in order to access the arabic keyboard?
Tips/advice would be very much appreciated!
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Arabic writing program

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:05 pm

If you're on Windows, and assuming you've set up the Arabic language setting(s) correctly, you should be able to switch the keyboard to Arabic. On my system I have it in the lower right hand corner of the screen with a short code (ENG for English in my case). If you click that you can switch to other language keyboards.

I'm not sure how the Arabic keyboards are set up though. It could be by phonetics ('a' on a typical Latin keyboard = alef) or more likely, it is set to a physical Arabic keyboard setting (alef = one of the Latin keyboard keys, perhaps 'y' for example). So you might have to either set the On-Screen Keyboard on, or randomly figure out which key is equivalent to which Arabic letter.

This is all for Windows, however. If you're on Mac or Linux this probably help much (if at all). (I'm assuming you're on Windows, as you talk about Word, but for all I know Word is now available on Mac and/or Linux :P )
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:31 pm

0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:39 pm

Alis wrote:Hello! I am learning Arabic and I would love to install the Arabic keyboard on my computer in order to type in Arabic. I downloaded (Jordanian) Arabic in the language settings but I can't seem to access it in a document...(I use Libre Office writer, an open source alternative to Word).
If you have a Windows machine, simultaneously pressing the Windows key and the space bar should display the dialog for switching keyboard layouts. Simultaneously pressing the left Alt and Shift keys should also toggle the keyboard layout.
You should also be able to click on ENG button left of the Wifi strength indicator.
You also might find the Yamli Editor website helpful, which allows you to type Arabic phonetically.
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Doitsujin wrote:If you have a Windows machine, simultaneously pressing the Windows key and the space bar should display the dialog for switching keyboard layouts. Simultaneously pressing the left Alt and Shift keys should also toggle the keyboard layout.
You should also be able to click on ENG button left of the Wifi strength indicator.

Thanks for adding that bit to what I said above. I had meant to say that, but couldn't remember the keys to press. :)
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”