Who are your favorite motivational speakers?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Who are your favorite motivational speakers?

Postby luke » Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 am

A good motivational speaker not only can be a good model of communication, they can also have a positive message.

Do you have a favorite speaker?

I'm hoping people will share there choices in various languages. (especially Spanish ;))

One that I like for his message is Zig Ziglar:

He was born to a poor family. His father died when he was about 5 years old. He wasn't born into privilege yet became a successful salesman, then speaker and writer.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Re: Who are your favorite motivational speakers?

Postby Sae » Sat May 27, 2023 3:18 pm

For me, I was a teenager who really got into listening to Henry Rollins speak and I've seen him on stage 3 times now and still listen to him from time-to-time. I don't think he considers himself a motivational speaker, but he still is.
(Warning: Bad language)

The dude is pretty eloquent and sometimes intense, but I always find he has interesting and valuable things to say.

However, as you mentioned you hoped for choices in other languages, I don't have motivational speakers as such, but I found myself enjoying the music of "Đen", who is a Vietnamese rap artist, but often he carries strong and positive messages in his music. And I translated one of his songs this week as an exercise and I think it fits.

And this is my translation (translated against the Vietnamese subtitles & looking up words I didn't know):

Code: Select all

Cooking for You - Đen ft. PiaLinh

Behold the clouds overhead,
Behold the many mountains
Together all the way
Winding roads through hills
See you smile in your round eyes
And the world follows in your steps

Many children go to school wearing a white cloud
Step into the sun, smiling lips and sunny cheeks
Smiles that makes a messy heart tidy
Seeing you stand, I see my self lucky

The yellow sun is like a fried egg.
When you hold oneself, the mountains and hills tilt
Winding roads you soar like a bird's wing
You grow swimming against a generation, you swim well like Anh Vien.

Although no longer a student
I see myself still learning
Like a rising tree from dirt, enough nutrients so it grows new branches
Learn to grow more happiness, from branches grow things to heal
Because I think fate is always watching, not controlling
So I hope you will not give up
Because I know you are small, but bravery cannot be small
Cannot be small

Behold the clouds overhead
Together all the way

Cooking for you although I am not a good chef
Also the way I help myself, to think less and untire my thoughts
I want to see small guests, eat every delicious thing
Because I know these children will build our country
Cooking for you, you gather strength to pick up each word
When you have knowledge, tigers are no longer ferocious
And you will be bigger than a plum tree in a garden
At the time when a deep crack is only a dense painting
We want to become good people and are learning to do it
We experienced childhood, they need to have full stomachs at the end of the day
I am practicing how to give because I know I will accept more
Because giving smiles, many bothers will drift away
Giving happiness will receive two, three times more
Giving happiness will receive two, three times more

In the eyes I see the sky, I see mountains and clear lakes
I hope my feet will be hard and the rocks soft on roads everyday

The sun is in your heart, echoes a chicken's cry
Hope for trees to rise, hope good weather with wind and rain

Behold the clouds overhead
Together all the way

And for a bit of fun to see why tone is important in Vietnamese. The song title is "Nấu ăn cho em", which means "cooking for you".
It's only one tone away from: "Nấu ăn chó em", which means "cooking your dog".
0 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat May 27, 2023 4:57 pm

I simply don't get the point with motivational speakers - they demotivate me...
8 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat May 27, 2023 6:20 pm

I don't know that motivational speakers are even a thing in the UK. They might be now, but not when I was growing up. The ones that draw crowds now tend to be lunatics (David Icke) or selling something.
Though it may be an elastic definition. Whatever the 'motivational' part stands for could be anything you take from it. I saw the almost-Labour-Party-leader Tony Benn speaking. I saw him a few times. His oratory was magnificent, needed no notes and drew on a lifetime of experience and deep values. He was great and unwavering until the end. His voice quality helped.

I'm slightly wary of motivational speakers of today because they tend to be salesman-rhetoricians, for not only products, but certain views. Dramatic struggle tales which audiences find irresistible, but they narrow the reality and make it seem that the main tool to 'get there' is with thought manipulation or 'positive attitudes'. I can't listen to that sort of thing.
8 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat May 27, 2023 9:05 pm

Le Baron wrote:I saw the almost-Labour-Party-leader Tony Benn speaking. I saw him a few times. His oratory was magnificent, needed no notes and drew on a lifetime of experience and deep values. He was great and unwavering until the end. His voice quality helped.

I'm slightly wary of motivational speakers of today because they tend to be salesman-rhetoricians, for not only products, but certain views.
It is a difficult genre to pen down. I was trying to avoid derogatory remarks about any specific "motivational" speaker who failed to touch my heart, for instance Tony Robbins. I am hoping that there will be more suggestions.

But expanding it to more general speakers, as you and Sae did, is perhaps a helpful approach. My sister recently remarked that I'd become quite pessimistic. With the times, it seems more realistic than pessimistic, but I understand that people don't like to spend too much time talking or hearing about how far things have gotten off track. So, my goal was to find "good happy talk" to fill my time and hoping that the sentiment would carry over to conversations with my sister.

One of my favorite recordings of Zig Ziglar had about 21 "things to do"' or "behaviors to manifest" that I'd found useful. Was thinking that something fresh in my TL would fit the bill.
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:15 am

I basically don't watch any programmes of Chinese motivational speakers, because I am a person who generally can motivate myself with some quotes, poems, books I read, music I listen, my own experiences, excellent people I know etc.

I would like to watch, read the successful stories of ordinary people who are perseverant, instead of those of professional motivational speakers with commercial purpose.

Mostly I do the things I like and have passion with. I know how to give myself positive feedback with the things I do. I like English/languages, and physical exericises, so I can keep on learning and/or doing.

I know about Tony Robbins. I thumbed through a few pages of a book he wrote but didn't find it interesting. I watched a few minutes of his video, however I couldn't help keeping analysing what techniques he used as I thought he was doing waking hypnosis to his audience all the time, instead of being motivated by his speech.

Le Baron wrote:I'm slightly wary of motivational speakers of today because they tend to be salesman-rhetoricians, for not only products, but certain views. Dramatic struggle tales which audiences find irresistible, but they narrow the reality and make it seem that the main tool to 'get there' is with thought manipulation or 'positive attitudes' .

I see eye to eye with you above.

I know motivational speakers do help out some people, but generally their speeches don't work for me, because I always tend to analyse what they try to do, out of my control.
4 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed May 31, 2023 5:04 am

I hate them all equally. I hope that answered your practical question. :lol:
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed May 31, 2023 9:01 am

luke wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I saw the almost-Labour-Party-leader Tony Benn speaking. I saw him a few times. His oratory was magnificent, needed no notes and drew on a lifetime of experience and deep values. He was great and unwavering until the end. His voice quality helped.

I'm slightly wary of motivational speakers of today because they tend to be salesman-rhetoricians, for not only products, but certain views.
It is a difficult genre to pen down. I was trying to avoid derogatory remarks about any specific "motivational" speaker who failed to touch my heart, for instance Tony Robbins. I am hoping that there will be more suggestions.

But expanding it to more general speakers, as you and Sae did, is perhaps a helpful approach. My sister recently remarked that I'd become quite pessimistic. With the times, it seems more realistic than pessimistic, but I understand that people don't like to spend too much time talking or hearing about how far things have gotten off track. So, my goal was to find "good happy talk" to fill my time and hoping that the sentiment would carry over to conversations with my sister.

One of my favorite recordings of Zig Ziglar had about 21 "things to do"' or "behaviors to manifest" that I'd found useful. Was thinking that something fresh in my TL would fit the bill.

Motivational speakers are not for me, but I can relate to what your sister feels is pessimism, given I feel as you do - it's hard to view the world positively sometimes especially if following the news or trying to dig for the truth behind mainstream news trends. It wears you down and can leave one with a very pessimistic outlook.

However, while motivational speakers might interest you, I find some positive books out there can help, whether fables, spiritual, or psychology-based (? 'self help'). Think The Power of Positive Thinking, and The Power of Now, . They give me lots of hope in a world that seems keen on destroying itself. Such texts have really injected optimism into my attitude when I have felt almost helpless in a seemingly predominantly negative(ly directed) world.
2 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 pm

Sgt. Johnson from Halo - his increasingly absurd motivational speeches for the UNSC Marines brought tears to my eyes.

Also Optimus Prime is usually good for a motivational speech ;)
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed May 31, 2023 10:51 pm

me wrote:Can you write a 300-500 word motivational speech for a language learning forum?
chatgpt wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed language learners and enthusiasts,

I stand before you today, inspired by the power and beauty of languages, to deliver a motivational speech that will ignite the flames of passion within each and every one of you. Language learning is not just about mastering vocabulary and grammar; it is an exhilarating journey of self-discovery, cultural exploration, and personal growth.

In this interconnected world, the ability to communicate in different languages is more vital than ever. By embracing the challenge of learning a new language, you are opening doors to endless opportunities. You are broadening your horizons, connecting with diverse cultures, and building bridges of understanding across continents. Language is the key that unlocks the treasure trove of human experiences.

Yes, the road to language fluency can be daunting. There will be moments of frustration when words seem elusive, grammar feels like an unsolvable puzzle, and pronunciation appears to be an insurmountable hurdle. But remember this: every great achievement begins with a single step. Every fluent speaker was once a beginner, just like each one of you.

Embrace the process of language learning with perseverance and determination. Treat each mistake as a stepping stone towards success. Remember that failure is not a setback, but rather an opportunity to learn and grow. It is through the persistence to overcome obstacles that we truly blossom into our full potential.

Surround yourself with a community of fellow language learners who share your passion. Join forums, language exchange programs, or virtual study groups. Engage in conversations, practice speaking, and immerse yourself in the language. Embrace the richness of the language, its nuances, idioms, and cultural expressions. Embrace its music, its rhythm, and the joy it brings to those who speak it fluently.

Challenge yourself to step outside your comfort zone. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, for they are the stepping stones to progress. Embrace the unfamiliar, for it is through discomfort that we truly grow. Immerse yourself in the language, whether through books, movies, songs, or conversations. Embrace every opportunity to practice and expand your linguistic horizons.

Celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Each new word learned, each conversation held, and each cultural insight gained is a triumph worth acknowledging. Reward yourself for your efforts and remember that every step forward is a testament to your dedication and perseverance.

Language learning is not a destination; it is a lifelong journey. Embrace the beauty of continuous learning and improvement. Challenge yourself to explore new languages, to unravel the intricacies of their grammar, and to unravel the depth of their cultures. Each language you learn will enrich your understanding of the world and empower you to connect with people on a deeper level.

So, my fellow language learners, let your passion burn brightly. Let the pursuit of language fluency ignite your spirit and inspire others along the way. Remember that with dedication, perseverance, and a hunger for knowledge, you can conquer any linguistic challenge that comes your way.

Embrace the power of languages. Embrace the power of your potential. And together, let us embark on this remarkable journey of language learning, uniting cultures, bridging divides, and making the world a smaller, more interconnected place.

Thank you, and may your language-learning endeavors be filled with joy, growth, and the endless thrill of discovery.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”