Learning Greek through its Romanized form

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Nimai
Languages: English

Learning Greek through its Romanized form

Postby Nimai » Sat May 27, 2023 9:19 am

Hello, I would like to start leaning Greek but through a romanized form - is there such a program, website or app that can help me? - if so where can i find it?
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Learning Greek through its Romanized form

Postby Iversen » Sat May 27, 2023 5:06 pm

I think that's a totally wrong plan, bordering on disastrous. After all some of the Greek letters are known already from physics and mathematics, and many resemble something you already know (though maybe with another pronunciation) so it's dead easy to learn the Greek alphabet. I would advise you to transcribe some pages of text, even if it sounds boring -maybe as short snippets, maybe as long passages, that's up to you. And you can choose texts where an audio version is available if that helps you. But just do it - you will get a much more flexible and natural access to Greek materials if you can read Greek texts in their own alphabet instead of being limited to a very narrow selection of purely pedagogical or touristical sources.
11 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat May 27, 2023 5:29 pm

Why? Learning a second language is, in essence, challenging one's self. Greek has an alphabet, similar to our own. It ain't Hebrew, Arabic, or Mandarin. You won't be reading from right to left. You can learn to read in Greek in short order. It won't take that much time. A small challenge like learning to read in the Greek alphabet will be a lot of fun and worthwhile.
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sat May 27, 2023 6:54 pm

Just learn the alphabet. It will take you all of a couple days to get the basics down, then maybe a few weeks to iron out the smaller nuances. It's really not that tough.
4 x

The Slithy Tove
Languages: English (N)

Postby The Slithy Tove » Sat May 27, 2023 9:47 pm

You might want to try Pimsleur. Since it's all audio, you wouldn't have to worry about the alphabet. And you can get a free lesson at their website.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”