puzzling over Pimsleur, translation, and a bit of frustration

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
miket12
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17198

Re: puzzling over Pimsleur, translation, and a bit of frustration

Postby miket12 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:46 am

leosmith wrote:
miket12 wrote:I've been using Pimsleur Italian and reading a grammar book as I work to learn some Italian for a trip. I'm on level 3 and find it to be increasingly difficult to come up with the responses in the allotted time.
Did you mean lesson 3? Level three would mean you already did 60 lessons, so it would be strange if you just began to have these issues now imo.

Nope, that's what happened. Things were going great and I was thinking "I've got this" and then 60+ lessons in all of a sudden I didn't...
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Re: puzzling over Pimsleur, translation, and a bit of frustration

Postby leosmith » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:16 am

miket12 wrote:
leosmith wrote:
miket12 wrote:I've been using Pimsleur Italian and reading a grammar book as I work to learn some Italian for a trip. I'm on level 3 and find it to be increasingly difficult to come up with the responses in the allotted time.
Did you mean lesson 3? Level three would mean you already did 60 lessons, so it would be strange if you just began to have these issues now imo.

Nope, that's what happened. Things were going great and I was thinking "I've got this" and then 60+ lessons in all of a sudden I didn't...
Like I said, it sounds like a problem with the course. It was graduated the proper amount, then it became too aggressive, for example. You could increase your effort, but if it were me I'd drop it and use the time for real conversation at this point. I end up straying from it quite a bit after conversing for some time, so no need to spend too much time on Pimsleur. 60 is enough imo.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”