Intensive German and "conversations" course in a different schools?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
evandro
White Belt
Languages: Português (N), Français (C1), English (C1), Español (C1). Deutsch (practicing), Nederlands (beginner, studying)

Intensive German and "conversations" course in a different schools?

Postby evandro » Tue May 16, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm gonna take intensive German classes this summer for a month. Since these classes are 4 days a week, I'm thinking of doing an extra "conversations" course every Friday.

I could do this both in the school where I'm doing my classes, DeutschAkademie, or at Kapitel Zwei, which also seems like a good school.

Is it a good idea to do it at the different school so I get to know both schools?

PS.: if someone else is coming to Berlin this summer, hmu! :)
0 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Re: Intensive German and "conversations" course in a different schools?

Postby german2k01 » Fri May 19, 2023 1:49 pm

well, save your money and probably use that money wisely for buying a subscription to a tool like LingQ or Readlang. You need to build your vocabulary through reading. There is no hiding away from it.

I am 100% sure whatever ABCD school you enroll in, you will learn about the mechanics of the language. Remember there are other students in the class so teachers can not follow a different syllabus on the basis of every student's needs. It will heavily be inclined toward teaching grammar rules; less listening and speaking.

I mean, even if you opt for a conversational course, you should do it online on Italki, etc. This way you will get 1 hour of speaking session with your teacher solely for yourself.

In Germany, both private and public language schools follow the same old drills-based teaching methodology. Easy to test grammar knowledge and grade your competency for the next level.

It does not matter to teachers how fluent you are or not.

If your level is beginner, to be frank, there is nothing much you can do apart from speaking a couple of sentences here and there, for the most part, struggling a lot.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”