Questions Brazilian Portuguese

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Diomedes
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N); English (advanced, esp. reading); French, Spanish (intermediate); German, Italian (beginner)

Re: Questions Brazilian Portuguese

Postby Diomedes » Sun May 14, 2023 11:30 pm

Sonjaconjota wrote:So, I’m translating a fictional text (from English to German) with a character who’s from Brazil, and I have two questions about Brazilian Portuguese.
I don’t know any Portuguese, and I’m quite sure the author of the text doesn’t either, so I’m suspicious.
First there’s an endearing term used for the Brazilian man in the story. It’s used by his mother, sisters and the woman who’s in love with him when they speak to him. It’s supposed to mean something like “darling, honey, my love”.
And the author writes “mea amor”.
First, I would like to know if it’s really “mea amor”? My intuition says it should be “meu amor”.
Second, I’m wondering if this really is a usually way to address somebody, or if it is just a word-by-word-translation of the English term “my love”.
If it’s not used, what would be more appropriate?
The second thing is that this character refers to his mother as “mamma” when speaking about her. This looks Italian to me. Does this form exist in Portuguese?

I second the other answers. The most intuitive choices should be 1) "meu amor" and 2) "mamãe".
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”