Word count maximums in language exams

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Word count maximums in language exams

Postby jeffers » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:31 pm

I know minimum word counts are important, but does anyone know if it's a problem to go over the word count on the written portion of DELF exams? For DELF A2 the writing question instructions say "de 60 à 80 mots", but does anyone know if it a problem to go over 80 words?
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Re: Word count maximums in language exams

Postby Irena » Mon May 01, 2023 12:33 pm

I don't know about DELF in particular, but it is my understanding that for language exams in general, you should not go over the word limit. If you do, then you can lose points, and it's possible the examiners will simply stop reading upon reaching the word limit. So, if you addressed some point that you needed to address after your 80th word (the word limit for your exam), then that's treated as your not having addressed it at all, which means that you lose points. Again, each exam will have its own precise regulations, but the basic point is: don't go over the word limit.
4 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Tue May 02, 2023 7:54 am

My two cents based on a DELE preparation course:

Examiners don't count the words. If you write a bit more or a bit less, it's not a problem. A significant difference is a problem, though. It's a good idea to write sample essays on the official answer sheets (they can usually be downloaded and printed) and see approximately how many lines or pages you need to write. From that point on you don't need to count anything, you know for example that with your usual handwriting Task 1 is one whole page, and you go for one whole page (give or take 2-3 lines).

If you write significantly more, you risk:
- committing more grammar errors
- using the same words over and over again (repetitive vocabulary)
- producing a less coherent, badly structured text
- not fulfilling the communicative requirements (e.g. an unnecessarily long formal letter is impolite and irritates the reader)
All these might (and probably will) affect your score.
3 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Tue May 02, 2023 8:54 am

I've been preparing for DALF and one of my resources, "Production écrite DALF C1" by Stéphane Wattier says: "Attention, le respect de la consigne de longueur fait partie intégrante de l'exercice (fourchette acceptable donnée par la consigne). Dans le cas où la fourchette ne serait pas respectée, on appliquera une correction négative : 1 point de moins par tranche de 20 mots en plus ou en moins."

My other book says that 10% below or above word limit is acceptable, so if they ask you to write 250 words you can write between 225-275. But if they already provide the "fourchette", like 60-80 in your example, I guess you should really try to write in this limit to avoid deduction of points.

Here is the explanation how the words are counted for DALF-DELF: "Règles de décompte de mots : est considéré comme mot tout ensemble de signes placé entre deux espaces : c'est-à-dire = 1 mot, un bon sujet = 3 mots, , je ne l'ai pas vu depuis avant-hier = 7 mots."
5 x
corrections are welcome

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat May 06, 2023 12:39 am

Varies from exam to exam. Studying on the OU, we had minimum word counts for exams, and no maximum. The logic is that you can't really have a thorough plan and re-edit your essays, so it's hardly fair to have the same conditions as a standard essay. However, other exams (as above) have a target range.
0 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Sat May 06, 2023 11:08 pm

see the marking schema in this document:

GRILLE D’ÉVALUATION DE LA PRODUCTION ÉCRITE B1

looks like you only get penalized for too-short answers - "Respecte la consigne de longueur minimale indiquée".

but really, why write more than you have to?
1 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”