Create subtitled videos in Lithuanian and study them with Perplexity

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Create subtitled videos in Lithuanian and study them with Perplexity

Postby Kraut » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:36 pm

There are a lot of Lithuanian videos here:
https://www.lrt.lt/
mostly without any subtitles.
To get the subtitles (in SRT together with a translation file) for free, use :
https://freesubtitles.ai/ if the size is less than 300 MB.

If the video has more than 300 MB, reduce it with
AVS Video Converter and put it in https://freesubtitles.ai/. You will then have your video plus two subtitle files. SMPlayer can play them very comfortably.
------------------------
Since Lithuanian is very complicated, you must study the grammar alongside the video. I use a combination of two apps:
"Perplexity.ai" with "Leung's pop-up-dictionary"
Put a good prompt for Perplexity to work with in Pop-up's settings:

Mine reads
https://www.perplexity.ai/?q=paraphrase the expression in Lithuanian and explain the declension or conjugation of each word, and give 3 example sentences for each word with its translation:$$

Put the text that you want to study online in Google search to make it available (= clickable) for Perplexity's search.
Here is an example of what Perplexity may come up with, it's very impressive.
---------
"Ko labiausiai bijo drambliai"

short answer

The expression "Ko labiausiai bijo drambliai" is a Lithuanian proverb that translates to "What do elephants fear the most?" It is used to refer to a situation where someone is afraid of something that is not actually threatening or dangerous. The declension of each word in the expression is as follows:

"Ko" is the accusative case of "kas," which means "what."
"Labiausiai" is the superlative form of "labai," which means "very" or "most."
"Bijo" is the third person present tense form of "bijoti," which means "to fear."
"Drambliai" is the nominative plural form of "dramblys," which means "elephants."

Example sentences for each word with their translation:

"Ko" - "Ko tu nori valgyti?" (What do you want to eat?)
"Labiausiai" - "Jis labiausiai mėgsta žaisti futbolą." (He likes to play soccer the most.)
"Bijo" - "Aš bijau aukščio." (I am afraid of heights.)
"Drambliai" - "Drambliai yra didžiausi žemės ūkio gyvuliai." (Elephants are the largest farm animals.)

Overall, the expression "Ko labiausiai bijo drambliai" is a colorful way to describe irrational fears and can be used in a variety of contexts.

large answer

The given expression "Ko labiausiai bijo drambliai" is a Lithuanian proverb that translates to "What do elephants fear the most?" in English. The first word "Ko" is a pronoun that means "what" in English. It is in the accusative case, which is used for the direct object of a sentence. Example sentences: "Ko tu nori?" (What do you want?), "Ko jie mėgsta valgyti?" (What do they like to eat?), "Ko jūs ieškote?" (What are you looking for?) The second word "labiausiai" is an adverb that means "the most" in English. It is in the superlative form. Example sentences: "Jis labiausiai mėgsta sportuoti" (He likes to do sports the most), "Labiausiai man patinka keliauti" (I like to travel the most), "Ką labiausiai mėgsta tavo mama?" (What does your mom like the most?) The third word "bijo" is a verb that means "fear" in English. It is in the third person singular present tense form. Example sentences: "Aš bijau aukštumo" (I am afraid of heights), "Jis bijo gyvūnų" (He is afraid of animals), "Mes bijome prarasti" (We are afraid of losing). The fourth word "drambliai" is a noun that means "elephants" in English. It is in the nominative case, which is used for the subject of a sentence. Example sentences: "Drambliai yra dideli gyvūnai" (Elephants are big animals), "Drambliai mėgsta valgyti vaisius" (Elephants like to eat fruits), "Drambliai yra labai protingi gyvūnai" (Elephants are very intelligent animals).

----
expressions in Perplexity's definitions can be further studied with a click

"Labiausiai" is a Lithuanian adverb that means "most" or "mostly." It is an indeclinable word, meaning it does not change its form based on the gender, number, or case of the noun it modifies. Example sentences:

Labiausiai mėgstu žiemos sportus. (I mostly enjoy winter sports.)
Jis labiausiai domisi mokslu. (He is most interested in science.)
Labiausiai noriu keliauti po Europą. (I most want to travel around Europe.)

Note: In Lithuanian, adverbs do not decline or conjugate, so "labiausiai" remains the same in all contexts.

Last edited by Kraut on Mon May 01, 2023 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

språker
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A2), Lithuanian (B1 -- studying)

Re: Create subtitled videos in Lithuanian and study them with Perplexity

Postby språker » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:26 pm

Nice, but wouldn’t “ko” in the examples indicate genitive, not accusative?
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm

språker wrote:Nice, but wouldn’t “ko” in the examples indicate genitive, not accusative?

Yes, could be this rule, but I'm not sure.

Die Funktionen des Genitivs im Deutschen und Litauischen ...
https://www.vdu.lt/cris/handle/20.500.12259/118081
page 37

4.1. Der adverbale partitive Genitiv ist entweder Objektsgenitiv oder
Subjektsgenitiv. Als Objektsgenitiv findet er sich im positiven Satz bei
transitiven Verben, als Subjektsgenitiv bei Existentialverben und anderen
intransitiven und reflexiven Verben intransitiver Bedeutung sowie einigen
unpersönlichen Verben. In beiden Fällen bezeichnet er eine unbestimmte Menge
einer Materie oder eine unbestimmte Anzahl von konkreten Einzeldingen oder
abstrakten Begriffen. Im Deutschen wird in diesen Fällen einfach der
Artikel weggelassen, z. B. pieno, vandens gerti - „etwas Milch, Wasser
trinken“, radau svečių - „ich traf Gäste an“, turėti nuostolių – „Verluste
haben“.
0 x

språker
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C1), German (B2), French (A2), Lithuanian (B1 -- studying)

Postby språker » Mon May 01, 2023 11:53 pm

The examples gives a lot of expressions, most with ko (genitive) but also some with (accusative). What I find is a bit odd is the sentence:
"Ko" is the accusative case of "kas"
I would have expected that
"Ko" is the genitive case of "kas"
In the examples the genitive seem to be because norėti/nori or bijoti/bijo always takes genitive as objects.

If a preposition demands the noun to be in a certain case (mit + dative in German) or (dėl + genitive in Lithuanian) I would say that the noun is now in that new case, even if it normally would be in accusative if it hadn't been for the preposition.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”