Is Dreaming Spanish massively inefficient?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Is Dreaming Spanish massively inefficient?

Postby Cainntear » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:20 am

rowanexer wrote:
luke wrote:
rowanexer wrote:There seem to be a lot of people on reddit who are convinced that it is "settled science".

You may want to let them know that those in know know that "settled science" is pseudoscience.

Well, perhaps they are thinking of a scientific consensus?
I don't read a lot of research for this. And they are perhaps looking for some sort of research paper explicitly comparing different methods to find out which is the best. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

No, they genuinely believe in infallible science, which is a really dangerous thing. People who don't understand that science is nothing more the current best explanation of observed data are prone to view the scientific process of constantly re-evaluating itself as somehow disproving science: "science proved wrong again," as many creationists would put it.

I reckon that's a big part of why people don't accept language teaching as a scientific discipline: there are no provable facts in it, so they think in can't be science, but science never proves anything anyway! Did Newton "prove" Newtonian mechanics? Did his theories of gravity become useless once universal gravitation was understood? And even if it you don't think it's a science, that doesn't reduce the value of taking a scientific approach to it.
4 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:18 am

Cavesa wrote:Some people don't like it, when I point it out, but: the quality of research articles in language learning/teaching is enormously inferior to that in medicine and science. The articles I've read were clearly biased, many variables not taken into account, samples chosen based on the desired results, etc.

[...]
You would need to do a long term experiment, which is already hard (just imagine getting a funding for that!).

From what I noticed there is also the issue, that even if some variables are taken into account studies often miss a comparison how well a method does when learning different languages.
I'd say that input based methods may work well with beginner stages of rather closely related languages. But what about more grammar-heavy ones?
If someone tells you "the best thing for my English/Spanish/French was to watch videos" I wonder how they would cope with Hungarian, Finnish or Basque etc, where grammar is way more crucial to understand even basic sentences. Or what about the influence of a different script?
So far I probably know only one person, who may have succesfully be learning also unrelated languages by mostly watching videos. (But still practicing at the language cafe.) I definitely know way more people, who learned a language with textbooks or a mix of materials. The same goes for people, who were succesful by going to classes (+ doing something outside the classes)...

And then there's the question how to measure the results. If you mainly test people on vocabulary, then SRS will probably get you good results, but the best learning methods for beginning stages and more advanced stages of learning are most likely to be different. Some mistakes may be acceptable for beginners but not for advanced learners. So long term studies would be really interesting in order to see whether a method would be able to get you to the higher levels or not. But that would probably just lead to either people not following the method or dropping out of the study. Considering the dropout rate of this study here (see tables page 116-117) one would need thousands of participants to get a decent number through the program to have any data to actually compare the methods.

If the dropout rate is so significant one can also ask, why everything has to be as efficient as possible, if as a consequence too many people cannot follow the method. A less efficient method that keeps people studying may even lead to better results, if it means that students will be less likely to drop out.
(I still think only listening for hundreds of hours without doing anything else doesn't make sense for most learners.)
13 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:17 am

tiia wrote:I'd say that input based methods may work well with beginner stages of rather closely related languages. But what about more grammar-heavy ones?
If someone tells you "the best thing for my English/Spanish/French was to watch videos" I wonder how they would cope with Hungarian, Finnish or Basque etc, where grammar is way more crucial to understand even basic sentences. Or what about the influence of a different script?
So far I probably know only one person, who may have succesfully be learning also unrelated languages by mostly watching videos. (But still practicing at the language cafe.) I definitely know way more people, who learned a language with textbooks or a mix of materials. The same goes for people, who were succesful by going to classes (+ doing something outside the classes)...

Yes, that's very true. But unfortunately (and partially logically), the market is heavily obsessed with Spanish for anglophones. But the things that might work in that situation get overgeneralised and will set anyone else, such as a francophone learning Hungarian or a Czech native learning Japanese, up for a failure.

And then there's the question how to measure the results. If you mainly test people on vocabulary, then SRS will probably get you good results, but the best learning methods for beginning stages and more advanced stages of learning are most likely to be different. Some mistakes may be acceptable for beginners but not for advanced learners. So long term studies would be really interesting in order to see whether a method would be able to get you to the higher levels or not. But that would probably just lead to either people not following the method or dropping out of the study. Considering the dropout rate of ... one would need thousands of participants to get a decent number through the program to have any data to actually compare the methods.

Yes, the long term and the result measurements are big issues. For example, I saw an article, that claimed to compare extensive and intensive reading. They were using a sophisticated looking method on vocab retention, which really fooled a lot of people into thinking "this is exact science, and anyone disagreeing about extensive reading being useless is dumb". But the problem was the whole experiement being skewed. The author, perhaps in well meant search for objective comparison, created an experiment that went against the whole point of extensive reading. It was a similar number of hours spent either intensively or extensively reading. Of course the extensive reading was bound to fail, it's in the name of the method :-D

You need to set the experiment right, you need to do long run experiments, you need to evaluate the results right. It's not easy, and no wonder most people seem to fail. I have yet to see a single article, that would methodologically be as sound as average articles in medicine.

All that in a world, where we do not get access to even such basic information as the amount of people taking and passing official exams! Exams like DELF/DALF, TCF, Goethe Zertifikat, and so on are organised or co-organised by public founded, or partially public founded and surely public supported organisations. Nevertheless, you never get an answer even to such simple questions like:
-how many people took exam X last year?
-what were the average grades?
-were they mostly school goers or was there a significant % of independents?
-did people with some native languages do better than people with others?
-were the results different in various age groups?
-do people in general do better at this or that part?

This would be an excellent source of information on language learning, I would love to read research based on that. Much rather than the usual dumb quantifications of word retention. It would be a much better sample for surveys, than the usual worthless (for our purposes) sample of average college class goers.

But nope, we don't even get the % of pass/fails info :-(

If the dropout rate is so significant one can also ask, why everything has to be as efficient as possible, if as a consequence too many people cannot follow the method. A less efficient method that keeps people studying may even lead to better results, if it means that students will be less likely to drop out.
(I still think only listening for hundreds of hours without doing anything else doesn't make sense for most learners.)

That's a very good point, but the word "dropout" needs to be used well. Duolingo uses it in their marketing material (which they generously call "research" in their PR), to label critics as drop outs, who surely would have had awesome results otherwise.

In case of Dreaming Spanish, I see an unpleasant tendency of the zealots to do a similar thing. In their world, you failed because you dropped out (even if it is after hundreds of hours), or because you did the logical thing of also normally studying.

Cainntear wrote:
rowanexer wrote:
luke wrote:
rowanexer wrote:There seem to be a lot of people on reddit who are convinced that it is "settled science".

You may want to let them know that those in know know that "settled science" is pseudoscience.

I don't read a lot of research for this. And they are perhaps looking for some sort of research paper explicitly comparing different methods to find out which is the best. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

No, they genuinely believe in infallible science, which is a really dangerous thing. People who don't understand that science is nothing more the current best explanation of observed data are prone to view the scientific process of constantly re-evaluating itself as somehow disproving science: "science proved wrong again," as many creationists would put it.

I reckon that's a big part of why people don't accept language teaching as a scientific discipline: there are no provable facts in it, so they think in can't be science, but science never proves anything anyway! Did Newton "prove" Newtonian mechanics? Did his theories of gravity become useless once universal gravitation was understood? And even if it you don't think it's a science, that doesn't reduce the value of taking a scientific approach to it.

The thing is, that people in some fields are used to considering these questions (and more) all the time: "is this good science" "how is this biased" "is the sample well chosen" "is the sample big enough to balance out some variables" "is this a good way to measure this" "what are the limits of these results" "how are these results aplicable" "what else has been published and how do these pieces of the puzzle relate". In medicine, where a lot of things are easier measurable than in language learning, we are used to following the results and also doubting them, to think critically about them.

When I see discussions about LL research, they are usually extremely childish. Like "you don't agree with this SCIENCE? You are just a moron that knows nothing. This article is the truth!". And I am afraid it is not just the random amateurs on the internet. When discussing it with a few people working in the field of language teaching and using "science" based arguments, they were behaving the same way, perhaps just with more polite words. It's really sad, because they were supposed to be university educated people, but it didn't show.
5 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:27 am

Cavesa wrote:You need to set the experiment right, you need to do long run experiments, you need to evaluate the results right. It's not easy, and no wonder most people seem to fail. I have yet to see a single article, that would methodologically be as sound as average articles in medicine.

I would say that there is a much wider problem throughout education. I once heard an academic who taught school teaching comment that a proposal was "quantitative data" and that is wasn't really appropriate because education wasn't a "quantitative discipline" but a "qualitative discipline". I was pretty stunned by that. Quantitative and qualitative research can and should be mutually supportive, and they are absolutely reliant on each other. Qualitative research that isn't backed up by quantitative numbers is untrustworthy; quantitative research that isn't explained qualitatively can't prove that it's not the result of random chance or of a fishing expedition.

Oh yes, and speaking of fishing expeditions... why are fishing expeditions so immediately dismissed? Fishing expeditions don't prove anything, fair enough, but they do identify possible hypotheses that are worthy of further investigation.

All that in a world, where we do not get access to even such basic information as the amount of people taking and passing official exams! Exams like DELF/DALF, TCF, Goethe Zertifikat, and so on are organised or co-organised by public founded, or partially public founded and surely public supported organisations. Nevertheless, you never get an answer even to such simple questions like:

This would be an excellent source of information on language learning, I would love to read research based on that.

That's actually a really really good point, and definitely something that would be worth pushing people involved in language research to push. I think you've given me a new obsession and I'm going to have to seed the idea among people in the right institutes/departments to get the idea some momentum. I reckon that the first targets would have to be publicly funded groups... I expect private entities like Cambridge English will be resistive until and unless they're pushed to it by creating a new norm through French, Spanish and German.

Cainntear wrote:
rowanexer wrote:
luke wrote:

The thing is, that people in some fields are used to considering these questions (and more) all the time:

Yes, but I wasn't suggesting that scientists don't understand what science is/means; I was saying that the public doesn't.
When I see discussions about LL research, they are usually extremely childish. Like "you don't agree with this SCIENCE? You are just a moron that knows nothing. This article is the truth!". And I am afraid it is not just the random amateurs on the internet. When discussing it with a few people working in the field of language teaching and using "science" based arguments, they were behaving the same way, perhaps just with more polite words. It's really sad, because they were supposed to be university educated people, but it didn't show.

Yes, but I'm trying to identify the source of the problem here. A public misperception about what science means is leading to the erosion of scientific practices within various disciplines, because today's public are tomorrow's professionals.

In fact, I think this actually raises a previous disagreement with Le Baron (I'll make a quick quote to invite him to join in!)
Le Baron wrote:...

Now I think he was arguing recent that language teaching isn't a science, but I suspect I may have argued that it was... when what I should have said is that it should be science. Indeed, there are a reasonable number of researchers who treat it as one, but not really a majority.
In fact, I believe one of the major contributory factors in this is the public misunderstanding of what science is. If readers expect scientists to be certain, the press is going to favour pseudoscience over science, putting universities under a perverse pressure to take on pseudoscientists in order to raise the uni's profile.

Note that I think of it as a "soft science" rathe than a hard one, because there's a lot that can't be measured.

I'd also note that language learning can rarely perform quantitative studies because of the size of classes and the number of researchers it would take to replicate a study over a large number of people.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:04 pm

Cainntear wrote:I would say that there is a much wider problem throughout education. I once heard an academic who taught school teaching comment that a proposal was "quantitative data" and that is wasn't really appropriate because education wasn't a "quantitative discipline" but a "qualitative discipline". I was pretty stunned by that. Quantitative and qualitative research can and should be mutually supportive, and they are absolutely reliant on each other.

That's a very good thought, which I think should be much widely known. Just because you invent a method to generate some numbers, it may not mean anything really proven at all.

That's actually a really really good point, and definitely something that would be worth pushing people involved in language research to push. I think you've given me a new obsession and I'm going to have to seed the idea among people in the right institutes/departments to get the idea some momentum. I reckon that the first targets would have to be publicly funded groups... I expect private entities like Cambridge English will be resistive until and unless they're pushed to it by creating a new norm through French, Spanish and German.

Thank you. If you have any opportunity to spread the idea, it would be awesome.

I am still suprised, over and over again, that the data from these institutions isn't publicly available. Normally, you have to back up and publish results of pretty much anything you get public money for. Here, we have an ugly exception.

Now I think he was arguing recent that language teaching isn't a science, but I suspect I may have argued that it was... when what I should have said is that it should be science. Indeed, there are a reasonable number of researchers who treat it as one, but not really a majority.
In fact, I believe one of the major contributory factors in this is the public misunderstanding of what science is. If readers expect scientists to be certain, the press is going to favour pseudoscience over science, putting universities under a perverse pressure to take on pseudoscientists in order to raise the uni's profile.

Note that I think of it as a "soft science" rathe than a hard one, because there's a lot that can't be measured.

The problem is, that there are always three kinds of public. The researchers, that's one. Even those unfortunately seem to show a lot of sloppiness and misunderstanding in the articles I've seen, but sure, they are knowledgeable about some parts and are somehow trying to do their jobs. It's surely hard to be a "soft scientist" and do the job well.

Then the other extreme is the general public. It is normal, that the general public misunderstands what science is. It is a big mission of everyone in academia (even the loosest attached piece) to improve this. But overall, misunderstanding of this group is understandable.

The middle ground, the public in the field, who are not necessarily researchers, is the main problem in the LL industry imho. In medicine or in any other more scientific field, the random professionals need a basic understanding of how the science part of the field works. How to read and interpret science. In language teaching, I've heard professionals say things at the level of the general public, but with such conviction, as if they were researchers or even more: some omniscient beings in their field. The lack of critical thinking and normal judgement of how to interpret an article (and how to not just get stuck on two or three key words you'll use as you like and use as a shield against learners) was disturbing.

I'd also note that language learning can rarely perform quantitative studies because of the size of classes and the number of researchers it would take to replicate a study over a large number of people.

This is very much true. Another huge issue is, that contrary to for example medicine, you have very limited options to eliminate other factors. A patient in a double blinded oncologic medication trial isn't going to just buy a different treatment and use it randomly with yours. A person in your language teaching trial can easily do whatever they like, making their results much less about your tested method.

Also hard to include people in long term teaching experiments. Not unless you're a milionnaire researcher, who will pay them :-D And not in the current publish or perish and publish as often as possible atmosphere.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:00 pm

Cainntear wrote:Note that I think of it as a "soft science" rather than a hard one, because there's a lot that can't be measured.

This already captures my general view. Not only that those studies would be difficult, but the quantity of variables that would need to be accounted for; which is is what makes it the sort of thing where conclusions always have to be tentative and results are difficult to apply broadly.

Somehow it works best in small settings. You get these teachers or a group of teachers who are very tuned-in with their particular classes and also able to put all their students into a particular receptive frame of mind. Then they develop a method for whatever they are teaching (let's say harmony, or mathematics or Spanish..) and it is so successful they think they might well have hit upon a 'method' that would be beneficial beyond those walls. I say this because at the music-based school I attended there was a teacher who had been on a research experiment in teaching harmony, as a student at Keele University, and he wanted to do the same thing for us. Yet found that the same successes at Keele didn't meet ours 1:1. Yet we were doing the same things. Apparently the same 'method' was used elsewhere with success. So the failure of replication in one or more instances is offset by the success of replication in one or more instances. The seeds you sow may be proven, but you need to know the different conditions into which they are sown and that's not at all easy.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:28 pm

Cavesa wrote:Another huge issue is, that contrary to for example medicine, you have very limited options to eliminate other factors. A patient in a double blinded oncologic medication trial isn't going to just buy a different treatment and use it randomly with yours. A person in your language teaching trial can easily do whatever they like, making their results much less about your tested method.

Also hard to include people in long term teaching experiments. Not unless you're a milionnaire researcher, who will pay them :-D And not in the current publish or perish and publish as often as possible atmosphere.

The other thing is that the protocol for your oncological patient is going to be pretty simple. Sure, it may be high tech and what not, but you're only going to do a couple of things to the patient. You are not going to do 37, with a little bit of this here, a lot of that there, etc., which you absolutely are going to do if you hope to reach a high level in a language. This is why you can do trials for cancer treatments (though medical research still has a ton of problems), whereas it's much, much more difficult to do solid research on things like nutrition or exercise. Sure, you can take a few guinea pigs (people) into a research center, and then monitor every bite they take over a two-week period, and then compare before and after measurements of whatever you'd like to measure (weight, cholesterol level, etc. etc.), but you cannot do that for a period of months or years (let alone decades). As soon as the guinea pigs are set loose, they start eating a little bit of this here, a lot of that there, then they go on a random diet, then they stress eat for a bit, and they don't even remember what they ate when (or often enough, what they ate yesterday) - and there goes your lovely study. It's even worse with language learning. At least people eat something every day (well, most of them). With languages? Study intensively with a textbook for a month. Then take a break for two weeks. Then watch some stuff on YouTube occasionally (how often? don't remember!), then take a break to study another language, then move to the country where your original target language is spoken and do some frenetic studying, and then... Yeah, that's gonna make one fine research paper...
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Cavesa wrote:All that in a world, where we do not get access to even such basic information as the amount of people taking and passing official exams! Exams like DELF/DALF, TCF, Goethe Zertifikat, and so on are organised or co-organised by public founded, or partially public founded and surely public supported organisations. Nevertheless, you never get an answer even to such simple questions like:

This would be an excellent source of information on language learning, I would love to read research based on that. Much rather than the usual dumb quantifications of word retention. It would be a much better sample for surveys, than the usual worthless (for our purposes) sample of average college class goers.

But nope, we don't even get the % of pass/fails info :-(

I don't know about the other exams, but I knew they do some research using the data from the national language exams in Finland (YKI). I know there is more data available than I put into this post, but still I would hope they would publish more. But I have at least some results here :)

Finnish intermediate level (test date January 2014)
yki2014.png

Source: in Finnish (I did some calculations based on those tables there to get the percentages of all participants. There are rounding errors in my diagram.)

And here is a similar graphic for Swedish intermediate level (2015, unclear which test date)

"under 3" means "below B1" (=failed), "3" is B1 and "4" is a B2 result. The intermediate exam does not test skills above B2. The order of the skills is the same as in the other diagram.
Source: in Swedish

Both sources include more info about the background of the participants, though the one in Finnish includes way more data.
There's data on how long the participants learned the language and how long they lived in the country and what influence that has on the results. (They state that the influence of the time living in the country is surprisingly small, but that the time learning the language is clearly visible.)
What is also visible, is that writing is usually the weakest skill. (I think I once read more about that. And I find that also logical as writing is neglected all the time.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:18 pm

You see these test results sporadically, but not necessarily in a usable form. Some DELF/DALF test centers will publish the results from their test center, for a given test date. Some of them publish results with candidates' codes, but others publish full names, which I would consider personal information. But, no good aggregate data that I've seen. I remember seeing the pass rate for CCE (Czech exams), but I believe they only posted it on their Facebook page, so good luck finding it now. I do recall that the B2 exam had the lowest pass rate (30% or so), which was interesting. A1-B1 and C1 all had higher pass rates.
2 x

usernameTaken
Languages: English
Spanish

Postby usernameTaken » Fri May 12, 2023 11:42 pm

I just wanted to weigh in here since Dreaming Spanish has played significant role in my language learning journey for the past three years. A previous post made a good point about separating the Dreaming Spanish methodology from the Dreaming Spanish content, and I think this is spot on based on my experience so far. I prefer Pablo's style of speaking and presentation but that's just a personal preference.

At this point, I rate myself at level B2 in reading/listening comprehension and upper A2 in speaking. I'm not concerned with this variance because I decided when I started my journey that I would prefer to be able to understand a complex idea that a person is explaining to me even if I have difficulty responding instead of uttering sentences and misunderstanding the other person.

I find actively consuming the videos and comprehending the content to be extremely acquisition-rich activities similar to reading. However, I had to utilize other resources and establish a solid foundation in the language before I could derive maximum value from watching Dreaming Spanish videos. These resources included Language Transfer, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, El Método classes on Udemy, and Coffee Break Spanish. Otherwise, my brain would zone out and I would dis-engage due to boredom and discouragement. Pablo's advice to just sit there and "patiently let the language wash over you" doesn't work for me.

Could one become fluent by consuming Dreaming Spanish alone? Maybe in 5 years, but that's equivalent to growing up in a rural area with no neighbours, being home schooled and with minimal exposure to TV, radio, internet or the outside world.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”