Spanish Testing and Credentials for US Employment for CV/Resume

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
zjfict
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (Inter)
German (Beg)
French (Beg)
Portuguese (Beg)

Spanish Testing and Credentials for US Employment for CV/Resume

Postby zjfict » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:09 am

I know CEFR is used in Europe and in some non-European countries. However, what are some experiences of those here in the United States for Spanish?

Some jobs have general assessment tests in English (not necessarily language tests) for various skills that serve along with interviews to ferret out folks not fluent enough in English. However, has anyone noticed or experienced the same for the Spanish language? Has anyone taken or is there a CEFR-like exam accepted by most US companies?

Thanks,

Zack
0 x

zgriptsuroica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Advanced, especially reading), Spanish (Advanced), Brazilian Portuguese (Advanced), Japanese (beginner), Icelandic (just starting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17372

Re: Spanish Testing and Credentials for US Employment for CV/Resume

Postby zgriptsuroica » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:30 pm

I haven't really encountered much in the way of formal credential checking in my work in manufacturing. For the most part, it's been a plus on resumes, but if I actually get through to the interview process, they'll just have a native speaker come in and talk with me to see if I'm actually competent. YMMV with other industries and by location, I suppose. As much as I would like to get my C1 or C2 certificate for personal satisfaction, I doubt many of the certs mean much to anyone outside of a few particular industries, like translation or teaching, where you might expect them to be more aware of those options, anyway.
3 x
Genki I: 0 / 12

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:25 am

My understanding is that in a job market (as opposed to education/immigration) setting, the main thing that these certificates can do for you is increase your chances of being invited to a job interview. And once you've been invited to an interview, they'll evaluate your language skills (if they need you to have them). That being the case, it probably doesn't matter too much if you put DELE-B2 or DELE-C2 on your resume, though your underlying skill level will obviously matter.
1 x

David27
Green Belt
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:18 pm

Depends on your field. For me, any generalized exam would mean nothing as they likely don’t know what it means. They had their own internal Spanish exam and conversation test to show proficiency. During an interview I also had someone just start speaking Spanish with me.
1 x

deekin
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (DELE B2), French (beginner, started Oct 2023)

Postby deekin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:55 pm

I agree with David27 - it depends a lot on your field or on your specific circumstances. In my field (law), my practical ability to speak Spanish has been more important than the DELE certification I have - but the DELE results might have prompted the interviewers to ask about my ability and for them to start speaking in Spanish. In the background, the exam helped fuel my study and get me to that useful level. And you never know when having credentials might open doors - having my DELE B2 allowed me to do an exchange program in a Spanish-speaking country without a ton of hassle of proving my ability.
2 x

zjfict
White Belt
Spanish (Inter)
German (Beg)
French (Beg)
Portuguese (Beg)

Postby zjfict » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:30 am

Thank you all for the responses. It seems the consensus is that a certification may open doors but would not likely be used to prove anything by itself. One could get away with, in the USA, just putting Spanish proficiency on a job application. I may still pursue a B2 or C1 diploma as personal goal but not as a necessity.
0 x

Maria465
Languages: N

Postby Maria465 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:06 am

hi guys.Nrega Job Card List
Spanish language proficiency is a valuable skill in the US job market. Obtaining certifications such as DELE or OPI can enhance your CV/resume, showcasing your ability to communicate effectively. Employers appreciate bilingualism, opening doors to diverse opportunities and demonstrating your commitment to professional growth.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”