Quizlet and Anki for each their purpose

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Quizlet and Anki for each their purpose

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:08 pm

Hello everyone
I have been pondering if it makes more sense to use Quizlet for drilling (since it makes quick cards with audio and has multiple mini games). By drilling I mean such things as learning to conjugate verbs for instance, whereas creating one for each conjugation in Anki seems a daunting task just by immagination. Anki on the other side makes more sense for vocabulary, context, general rules etc.... What are other peoples' findings?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Re: Quizlet and Anki for each their purpose

Postby Lisa » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:29 pm

I couldn't figure out quizlet, but https://www.linguno.com/ is useful for conjugations exercises and they have some rather fun crosswords.
But I've been creating anki cards for my french conjugations and that's working for me; since I whip through cards much faster than is possible with a next-and-click online routine. I like to think the act of creating the cards acts as study time; it takes less time to make the cards than to study them. https://conjugator.reverso.net/ gives me all the tables I could ask for, but it's faster for me generally to type.

That said, it does end up being a lot of cards (passe compose was not an issue, but present in french is kind of a free-for-all, and I'm starting on imperfect and simple past)... I'm just now getting to where I have to actively manage that. Once I've learned them pretty well, for maintenance and spot checks I think I'll need to toss the anki and go to linguno. Also a couple of times I've made mistakes in typing - I catch the nous endings on vous pretty quickly, but another case I typed in a random consonant between stem and ending and since french also does that randomly, I only found out when I got something wrong on quiziq. So that's a potential problem.
4 x

miket12
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Italian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17198

Postby miket12 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:10 am

If you have any experience with Python it may not be hard to cobble together a script to quiz yourself on a list of verbs that you know or are learning. For Italian I found an existing script for conjugating a verb called ItalianVerbConjugator and I use that, along with a list of verbs I typed in, to quiz myself. I use pyttsx3 to create spoken output using the voices built into Microsoft Windows.

I didn't find Anki useful for the kind of drills I want since if you mark a card as good it will keep increasing the interval. I wanted a random selection of verbs and tense as if I was plucking a card out of a deck of index cards.
3 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:34 am

Linguno says they're customisable conjugations but still lock you behind specific languages. A shame because it sounds like something that would make a good language independent tool.

Though I do use Quizlet myself, I prefer it to Anki. But I've only used it for vocab so far because I tend to practice things like conjugation by writing sentences with them in
But I think it principle it could work if you're looking for something quick fire with spaced repetition. And I guess Quizlet is good in that it can create quizzes for you to assess your answers.
2 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:00 pm

Thank you for your input! I Ithink I'll give it a go. Earlier I was weighing pros and cons of quizlet and Anki against each other, but I think in this way they can supplement each other quite well.
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”