how to utilize from youku? may just listening help?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

how to utilize from youku? may just listening help?

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:52 pm

Hi,

I am still waiting a chance to go to china to learn mandarin in its natural way,though , the existing result is I AM STILL WAITING.
so, while waiting, may I ask whether mandarin speakers recommend me just listening on youku would work even if it would be very difficult?
and are there such learners who started in this way?

Thanks.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Re: how to utilize from youku? may just listening help?

Postby allf100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:40 am

Would it be fair to say there's no major difference when it comes to learn any other languages which are not mother tongues, and learning Mandarin is not an exception?

If you mean how you improve your listening and speaking (in Mandarin), (almost) everyone on the forum knew that the tip is always keep listening and shadowing.

Both intensive listening and extensive listening are important. Stop at the words that you fail to understand, and keep listening again and again, until you figure out what native speakers are talking about.

If the resources are too difficult for you to understand, personally I would suggest you try anything easier for you, otherwise, you might lose your interest and patience in the target language (Mandarin) pretty soon unless you are so perseverant, and target driven very much!

I have no idea what resources you refer to on Youku.

Youku is not that popular now among Chinese Internet users. I hardly use it now.
Just two my two cents.
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm

hi allf100 ,

welcome.

actually I believe I am ambitious & perseverant. But I also know that I am full time teacher here. So, all the time does not belong just to me.
all in all, I know some lovely words from rdearman, he speaks somwhat like this:

"Though, it is better to work even at least 10 minutes a day than not."

actually I also believe I was hardworking but ...as said once the time is being shared with my students , family and other people and so on, then it is really difficult to make the time management

I know that working even 10 minutes a day that not is better but it is also insuficient.

and are you willing to share some more popular but useful sources?

I shall presumably try to get memorize (and draw some caharacters and see how do chinese people pronunciate them (trying to catch characters)

and I think one will not imply that the grammar would be difficult ,so , the biggest part is in fact laying on listening. that is what I thought.
(btw,I tried to use we chat but could not. because it requires someone from china to confirm/authenticate me.)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:35 pm

Hello Jimmy,

https://www.bilibili.com/
Tiktok

These are most popular video sharing Apps in China. Bilibili is both available for website and App.

In China, bilibilli is often short for 'B 站' among Chinese Internet users. B=bilibili, 站=网站, website.

Bilibili is for long videos.

Tiktok is for short videos. There are two versions of Tiktok, one is for domestic Chinese users, and the other is for International users.

The videos there cover almost everything i.e. music, fitness, sports, movies, English learning, computer program learning, etc. Those are very similar to Youtube.

I don't think videos on Youtube will help me much in learning English. Likewise, I'm not sure if these Chinese Apps are very useful for you for the purpose of learning Mandarin.

Youku is a video-sharing website and App, and is similiar to Bilibili, is outdated in my view.

I assume it will be more helpful if you ask some Mandarin learning people who can share you with resources they use. I don't learn Mandarin that much now, because I am a native speaker of Chinese, and I am neither a teacher nor linguist of Mandarin, so I don't know much of the resources that will possibly help you.

I can be of assistance on our forum, if you encounter specific questions on Mandarin.
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm

There's an active forum member whose username is Gaoling97. S/he is American and has been living in the mainland of China for years. Her/his Mandarin is intermediate. You can approach to her or him for resources if s/he would like to recommend.

The feature of @ doesn't work on our forum, and I think you will have to PM her /him.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”