Question about the spanish word Tabien

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Paul_Moechner2022
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Question about the spanish word Tabien

Postby Paul_Moechner2022 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:08 am

As someone who is living in Mexico(in Jalisco), and learning to speak Spanish, I'm at the point in my level of knowledge/skill, where I'm starting to understand a third of what people are saying when I overhear conversations when I go out on walks everyday for exercise, and pass people who are talking, I am even able to have short conversations with people now.

But yesterday I heard the word tambien used in a way I never heard before. Unfortunately I didn't know enough spanish to ask the person to explain what they meant, but was able to take a mental note of it.

As far as I know, tambien = also, me too, etc.

But the way that I heard someone use it yesterday was interesting. When I went to a store, and while having a little small talk in spanish with the person at the cash register, I made a comment about how nice and warm it was outside. And she replied, with, "Si, tambien!"

Also in the conversation, she said that she didn't know that I spoke spanish. I then explained to her in spanish that I'm working hard to learn the language, but I still have a lot to learn. She responded to that also, with "Si, tabien.".

I'm a little confused because from my perspective as someone who is still learning spanish, tabien means also. So is she saying she also thinks it's nice and warm outside, and also working hard to learn spanish? I think I'm misunderstanding something because she sounded like she's been speaking spanish all her life.
0 x

Pikaia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (a bit), French (a bit less)

Re: Question about the spanish word Tabien

Postby Pikaia » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:26 am

Could she have been saying "Está bien"? Sometimes the initial es gets swallowed, so it'll sound more like "ta bien."
3 x

Paul_Moechner2022
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Paul_Moechner2022 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:47 am

Pikaia wrote:Could she have been saying "Está bien"? Sometimes the initial es gets swallowed, so it'll sound more like "ta bien."

Come to think of it, yes, she may have been saying that. If so then the entire conversation makes sense now. Thanks! :)
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:28 am

(yo) toy bien
(tú) tas bien
(él, ella, eso...) tá bien
(nosotros) tamos bien
(ustedes, ellos, ellas...) tán bien