What advice do you give to people IRL when language learning comes up?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: What advice do you give to people IRL when language learning comes up?

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:35 pm

Irena wrote:
Cainntear wrote:This is a discussion forum, not so-called social media. Here, people with different opinions discuss things and generally show tolerance towards people they think are wrong.

And that's exactly what Cavesa does not do. Anyone who disagrees with her is an idiot and maybe even immoral.

The nested quote gave me a right old chuckle. :lol: I want to believe it is satire or irony or something.
4 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:46 pm

Irena wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
Irena wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Regardless, taking negative statements as effectively proof of a personal failing isn't particularly helpful.

It's not a "negative" statement.

It is a negative statement.
It's an aggressively disparaging and rude statement.

That is also quite probably true. It does not make my statement false.

This is technically correct, but it misses the point. The point is that saying something negative is perfectly fine, even if I may disagree. Aggressively disparaging and rude statements, on the other hand, are not fine.

No, there is no definition of negative statements as being limited to statements that are judged as "perfectly fine". Negative statements range from telling someone why you didn't like a particular film to statements of racial prejudice with criminal intent. Hell, a murderer saying "he deserved it" is a negative statement. I'm not saying "negative statement" here to suggest she wasn't rude.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:27 pm

When this thread turned from discussing learning methods to the definition of "negative" it effectively derailed for good. Could someone please return to the topic of the OP, please? I would prefer not to delete messages or parts thereof, but any message that discusses the notion of "negative" from now on can lead to the thread being closed OR the message being deleted. :evil:
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:18 am

My advice depends on the language pair: if an English speaker wants to learn French, Spanish, German or Italian, I always point them to Michel Thomas as a first stop, and I would say to follow on with book of verb drills like Practice Makes Perfect (which I used for Spanish verb drills) or similar.

I say "English speakers", but there's lots of people I've met whose non-native English was good enough to do it, but when someone says they want to practice their English while learning Spanish, they get quite angry at me when I say that MT is supposed to be effortless in that you should be able to understand him without even thinking so that you can think about the target language.
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Cainntear wrote:I say "English speakers", but there's lots of people I've met whose non-native English was good enough to do it, but when someone says they want to practice their English while learning Spanish, they get quite angry at me when I say that MT is supposed to be effortless in that you should be able to understand him without even thinking so that you can think about the target language.

:) :) :) hahaha :) :) :)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Iversen wrote: I would prefer not to delete messages or parts thereof, but any message that discusses the notion of "negative" from now on can lead to the thread being closed OR the message being deleted. :evil:

haha , this is why I mostly enjoy this website. :) :)
and there are rdearman's some personal wordings which are quite lovely. These are alike real life opinions and generally based on experiences.
interestingly not all of the domains in U.S. where the relevant websites are available allow users to express themself reliefly.
:)
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:01 am

People generally don't ask me for advice, mostly because I hang out with multilingual friends. ;) People also don't ask me for advice because I offer it freely. :lol:
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:55 am

Xenops wrote:People generally don't ask me for advice, mostly because I hang out with multilingual friends. ;) People also don't ask me for advice because I offer it freely. :lol:

yeah , it seems like learning one's idea on an issue is better than taking advice.
don't offence by this, because this is not my personal idea , rather than that, I would say that it was a modern approach/idea.

but of course especially when I consider my humanist character. YOU ARE IMPORTANT , I GIVE IMPORTANCE TO EVERYONE I SPEAK WITH.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”