What is Burning Out and What are its symptoms?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
diaconia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1 in 2004), Russian (beginner), Ancient Greek (beginner), French (needs refreshing)

Re: What is Burning Out and What are its symptoms?

Postby diaconia » Sun May 14, 2023 5:54 pm

For what it's worth, more psychology stuff:

Burn out has a lot to do with personality, and as Irena mentioned and others have hinted, it has less to do with what method of study is used. Personal stress patterns (what drives us) develop during childhood. These are things that our parents said to us that still drive us (albeit indirectly) today:

1. be perfect!
2. be strong!
3. work harder!
4. try to please everyone! (the inability to say "no")
5. hurry up!

Each of us has one or two of these that's considered to be our invisibile driving force. It's what helps us to get things done! But our driving force can be overwhelming if not kept in check. How to keep it in check? By being aware of it. If you find yourself pushing yourself beyond your limits it would not be surprising if one day the language gets dropped. It happened to me with Mandarin and I even went out of my way and got the HSK 2. I burned out after I saw my crappy scores. False expectations on my part: "hurry up!" :lol:

One of my favorite solutions for avoiding stress (and burnout is the result of intense, prolonged stress) is increasing self-efficacy. Basically find out where you are just wasting time and where efforts should better concentrated. Here's where one could argue study methods. But it's not just study, increasing self-efficacy includes all facets of a persons life: family, work, etc. The modell "Circle of Influence" by Stephen R. Covey is just one idea, but I won't go into it because it would go too far beyond the scope of this thread. Just food for thought.
2 x

Saudalmansour
White Belt
Languages: I speak Arabic. I study English

Re: What is Burning Out and What are its symptoms?

Postby Saudalmansour » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:25 pm

Burning out is basically when you're mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically drained due to prolonged and excessive stress, often from work or daily responsibilities. I've personally felt it – the constant fatigue, lack of motivation, being irritable, and the feeling of being overwhelmed even by small tasks. It's like running on empty without knowing how to refuel.

I became concerned when I started to notice these symptomps. I opted for a health optimization package that provided an in-depth test offering insights into over 230 biomarkers and covering 92 genes related to digestion, energy, and cognitive performance. The package highlighted the difference between my biological and actual age and concluded with a tailored lifestyle and diet plan. It really gave me a clearer understanding of my body and its needs.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”