Resources for learning Doric Scots

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Yunus39
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Bangla (Advanced Low ACTFL 060723)
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 20#p217017

Resources for learning Doric Scots

Postby Yunus39 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:57 am

I am looking into learning some Doric Scots to help me read some novels partially written in the language.

Could anyone point me to resources?
0 x
Bangla Pages: 8453
Ancient Greek Pages: 2194
Scots Pages: 449

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Resources for learning Doric Scots

Postby Cainntear » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:49 pm

If you're specifically aiming at Doric, that's pretty much it. David Purves's book A Scot's Grammar: Scots Grammar & Usage is good for general Scots as I recall, but it's not restricted to Doric and it's hardly really a book with a tutorial purpose.

Curious aside: the name "Doric" originates in a time when Edinburgh politicians got obsessed with the fact that Athens had 7 hills and decided to pain Edinburgh as "the Athens of the North" (yeuch!) This was why Calton Hill ended up with half a fake parthenon on it.

The dialect of Edinburgh was therefore pompously branded "Attic" and the way people spoke in the country was branded "Doric". Not sure if Aberdeen really counts as a rural place or if people had also dreamed up Ionic and Aeolic names for other local variants.
5 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:30 pm

That is about the only true textbook that exists. There's also the dubiously named "Teach Yourself Doric" by Douglas Kynoch, but whether that's an actual language course is debatable.

I've had a copy of Luath: Scots Language Learner for awhile now, and hold it in high regard.

Depending on how your Gaelige is, there's also a course called Búnchúrsa Albainise by Gabhán Ó Fachtna, but I'm guessing that wouldn't be of much use to you. I'd be happy to be wrong, though. I have a copy of this as well, and it's a solid course, though my level of Irish doesn't make it easy for me to use at the moment, nor do I know if it's Doric specific.

Cainntear wrote:Curious aside: the name "Doric" originates in a time when Edinburgh politicians got obsessed with the fact that Athens had 7 hills and decided to pain Edinburgh as "the Athens of the North" (yeuch!) This was why Calton Hill ended up with half a fake parthenon on it.

The dialect of Edinburgh was therefore pompously branded "Attic" and the way people spoke in the country was branded "Doric". Not sure if Aberdeen really counts as a rural place or if people had also dreamed up Ionic and Aeolic names for other local variants.

That actually is interesting. I was curious where the term Doric came from. Thanks for sharing!
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:03 am

księżycowy wrote:There's also the dubiously named "Teach Yourself Doric" by Douglas Kynoch, but whether that's an actual language course is debatable.

I am used to the Teach Yourself books, and was able to find this, so I may give it a spin first. Got to finish some current language learning projects first. Thanks for the help.
0 x

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:09 am

I would love to take a look at the Luath book, but I am in Asia and need to be able to buy an ebook or find it in a digital library.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:20 am

Yunus39 wrote:I am used to the Teach Yourself books, and was able to find this, so I may give it a spin first. Got to finish some current language learning projects first. Thanks for the help.

Just to clarify, "Teach Yourself Doric" is not from the Teach Yourself publisher (Hodder Education). It is a completely separate thing. I would highly recommend the Luath book over the "Teach Yourself" book any day of the week
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:13 pm

księżycowy wrote:
Yunus39 wrote:I am used to the Teach Yourself books, and was able to find this, so I may give it a spin first. Got to finish some current language learning projects first. Thanks for the help.

Just to clarify, "Teach Yourself Doric" is not from the Teach Yourself publisher (Hodder Education). It is a completely separate thing. I would highly recommend the Luath book over the "Teach Yourself" book any day of the week

Good to know. Thanks!
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:04 pm

I don't think it's part of the "Teach Yourself X" series.

I bought my copy many years ago, just a few months after its first release. Then I studied it to some extent, and many years later (←last week) it was in a floor to roof pile of books going into boxes. It is now somewhere in the house.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Yunus39
Orange Belt
Spanish (dormant)
Ancient Greek

Wishlist:
Scots
Ancient Hebrew
Aramaic
German
Latin
Hindi

Postby Yunus39 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:27 am

Thanks! Yeah, księżycowy let me know above and quick perusal shows this is indeed the case.
I did manage to find a scan of Luath in an online library, so I will probably buy a hard copy of that and ship it to a relative in the states, and use the scan.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”