Does Translation versus Original Work matter with a genre?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

Does Translation versus Original Work matter with a genre?

I prefer Original Works.
84%
I prefer translations into my Target Language.
16%

Total votes: 37

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Does Translation versus Original Work matter with a genre?

Postby Iversen » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:25 pm

Crojo wrote:I used to think that 'extensive reading' meant reading quickly, and that slowing down made it 'intensive reading'.

Speedreading can only be extensive, but extensive reading doesn't have to be fast. You can be slow because you are thinking about your next meal, the weather or whatever enters your mind because of the things you read about.

And 'intensive reading' can't be fast, but it's the intention of squeezing the last drop of information out of a text that makes it intensive, not the slowness in itself - the lack of speed is just the result of trying to understand everything.

But at the end of the day (and even before) 'extensive reading' is almost inevitably faster than 'intensive reading'
4 x

Crojo
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate?), Mandarin/中文 (pre-beginner)

Postby Crojo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:18 pm

Iversen wrote:Speedreading can only be extensive, but extensive reading doesn't have to be fast. …

And 'intensive reading' can't be fast, but it's the intention of squeezing the last drop of information out of a text that makes it intensive, not the slowness in itself …."

But at the end of the day (and even before) 'extensive reading' is almost inevitably faster than 'intensive reading'

That's a great way to put it, Iversen. I wasted a lot of time thinking extensive reading = speedreading. There's a lot between the two poles. This may have influenced my early preference for reading translations of familiar novels. These can be read more quickly, even at a loss of detail, because the overall story is already in my head. I'm really hoping that by slowing down I'll be able to enjoy the original Spanish texts. If so, my answer to the poll might change.
3 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:13 pm

For me, it depends. There are so many factors that go into translated works.

In my strong languages (German and English) I prefer to read original authors, ie, if it was written in German, I don't want to read it in English, and vice versa. For stuff originally written in other languages, I'm fine reading those translated into either English or German, since I can't read them in the original at all.

Before I was comfortable reading in German, though, reading familiar texts in German helped, or having the English nearby to cross check the translation when I got stuck on a strange word choice (usually idiomatic language). Picture books really helped for this, since I'm an elementary school teacher. The Rainbow Fish was the first book I successfully read in German, but really it was due to the fact that I'd read it a million times before, and even taught it a few times in classes. It can definitely boost the confidence, though, and that's important.
5 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
: 22 / 100 SC Books 22.3/100
: 31 / 100 SC Films 30.7/100

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:48 pm

I remember reading "The Power of the Dog" by Don Winslow in spanish as a excruciating experience.

At first, the translation seemed ok, as the novel is localized in Mexico, and the characters speak like mexicans... later, the action change to two irish brothers living in the USA, and the characters keep speaking like mexicans so...
2 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:42 am

I prefer original work for the reasons as below:

Because of undesirable quality of translation, I just cannot understand what some translated words refer to in books. And I finally decide to read the original books. When I fail to understand, I will post my questions on language forums.

e.g.1 some English book authors use the Biblical references in their writing, those are easy to native speakers of English even if people don't have to be Christians, because it is a part of mainstream culture in English speaking countries. In constrast in China, Christianity culture/knowledge is not widely understood. I just knew a few quotes of it. (Though we have considerable Christians in China too.)

Sometimes, I am wondering if Western readers can really appreciate a piece of famous Japanese Haiku named Ancient Pond which implies the philosophy of Buddhist Zen by the lated Matsuo Basho.

e.g.2 Due to different language expressions, some works are not translated very smoothly.

e.g.3 When it comes to poems, rhythms almost are unable to be translated.

e.g.4 Some Buddhist scriptures were very elegantly translated from Sankrit into Chinese by an ancient Chinese eminent monk. However for some concerns, he didn't translate all those Sankrit words in the schritures. For one reason, he considered those were incantations. So I tried to find out what those meant, I had to teach myself little Sankrit. (I am not a Buddhist, but appreciate it.)
2 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:36 pm

I believe or think that my reading and writing skills were better than the measured levels.
what I mean is that I confidently prefer original works. :)
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:47 am

allf100 wrote:I prefer original work for the reasons as below:

Because of undesirable quality of translation, I just cannot understand what some translated words refer to in books. And I finally decide to read the original books. When I fail to understand, I will post my questions on language forums.

I am curious (and assuming a native chinese speaker learning english): Are you comparing reading a english-language book written originally in english, with a english-language book that was originally written in chinese and translated?

For me it seems like the translated books that were originally written in your own native language, have less cultural references, which makes them easier... but then, you learn less about the other culture.
1 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Postby allf100 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:00 am

Lisa wrote:
allf100 wrote:I prefer original work for the reasons as below:

I am curious (and assuming a native chinese speaker learning english): Are you comparing reading a english-language book written originally in english, with a english-language book that was originally written in chinese and translated?

For me it seems like the translated books that were originally written in your own native language, have less cultural references, which makes them easier... but then, you learn less about the other culture.

My bad. I didn't make myself clear in the first place. I'm Chinese from the mainland of China. (I will edit my profile on the forum after responding to you. )

Yes, mostly I compared books/works that were originally in English language that were translated into Chinese here.

Some Chinese translators don't exactly understand what the original English sentences in the books refer to, and they even wrongly intrepret them, so their translation is too odd to be understood.

I think culture and history are big challenges for me and some translators. Some authors just play words, make puns, and I think it is difficult to grasp those all.
2 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:19 am

allf100 wrote:Some Chinese translators don't exactly understand what the original English sentences in the books refer to, and they even wrongly intrepret them, so their translation is too odd to be understood.

Ah, yes. If you want to read a specific book with detailed understanding, then it is much better to read in the original. Even a good translation will lose some of the details.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”