How do you like to log what you’re reading?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

How do you like to log what you’re reading?

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:04 pm

I find logging my time motivates me a lot. Logging time for listening is obviously easier than logging my time for reading. Maybe I shouldn’t even bother logging what I read by the amount time I spend on it. What’s your favorite way of logging what you read?
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: How do you like to log what you’re reading?

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:13 pm

sporedandroid wrote:I find logging my time motivates me a lot. Logging time for listening is obviously easier than logging my time for reading. Maybe I shouldn’t even bother logging what I read by the amount time I spend on it. What’s your favorite way of logging what you read?
For French books I use babelio.com, for German books I use this forum. I just like to know what books I've read, and when I'm looking for a new one I can refresh my memory and either re-read books I liked, or try to find ones with a link to them.

I think re-reading is good for languages where your vocabulary is weak, and I don't really do it much at all.
3 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:44 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:I find logging my time motivates me a lot. Logging time for listening is obviously easier than logging my time for reading. Maybe I shouldn’t even bother logging what I read by the amount time I spend on it. What’s your favorite way of logging what you read?
For French books I use babelio.com, for German books I use this forum. I just like to know what books I've read, and when I'm looking for a new one I can refresh my memory and either re-read books I liked, or try to find ones with a link to them.

I think re-reading is good for languages where your vocabulary is weak, and I don't really do it much at all.

Something that frustrates me is that my vocabulary in Hebrew is decent, but my reading isn’t too great. I find it pretty rewarding to learn new vocabulary, but that hardly ever happens in Hebrew. I don’t think it’s because I’m super fluent. I think it’s because I don’t read enough. My reading isn’t fluent enough for it to not feel like work.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:58 am

sporedandroid wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:

Something that frustrates me is that my vocabulary in Hebrew is decent, but my reading isn’t too great. I find it pretty rewarding to learn new vocabulary, but that hardly ever happens in Hebrew. I don’t think it’s because I’m super fluent. I think it’s because I don’t read enough. My reading isn’t fluent enough for it to not feel like work.
Have you tried re-reading the same thing two or three times? A short story or newspaper article would perhaps be a good trial. Look up the unknown words during/after the first time you read, then re-read to reinforce the learning. Parallel texts can make vocabulary look-ups almost painless if they are available.[?]

EDIT
Is Hebrew structured very differently from English? I remember German vs English word order and compound words made parallel texts harder work for me than with French vs English, so I find myself wondering how helpful they are with a very different language.
2 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:07 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:

Have you tried re-reading the same thing two or three times? A short story or newspaper article would perhaps be a good trial. Look up the unknown words during/after the first time you read, then re-read to reinforce the learning. Parallel texts can make vocabulary look-ups almost painless if they are available.[?]

EDIT
Is Hebrew structured very differently from English? I remember German vs English word order and compound words made parallel texts harder work for me than with French vs English, so I find myself wondering how helpful they are with a very different language.

Re-reading newspaper articles does seem to help. The word order is actually pretty similar to English and Spanish. What seems to trip me up is the word boundaries. When I first started reading Hebrew one thing that really frustrated me was seeing a lot of simple looking sentences that made pretty much zero sense to me. I also notice that Google Translate is pretty bad with Hebrew. Human translators don’t seem to be much better.
2 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:07 pm

For reading, I generally log some sort of segment that I can show progress on every day. That can be page for a book that is slow going, or by a sub-chapter or chapter if I can generally cover that much in a day. Just because I count pages doesn't mean I only do 1 page, but even 1 page shows some progress.

I wish I made faster progress with my reading. I'm wondering what sort of progress/log people find self-motivating.
3 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:40 pm

Logging in itself is not the main thing. Writing is, and writing in a target language definitely is (and reading/listening too, of course, but so is eating and sleeping, and I don't log those).

And counting pages is not important either - much of my extensive reading these days happen on the internet, and there 'pages' is a somewhat fluid notion. Reading books extensively is fine, but those I can get in Danish libraries are rarely in my target languages (I don't count English as a target language any longer) or they are novels with disgusting people and plots that you are invented by some author to torment the poor readers ... and for some reason it seems they like it, but I don't, So if I want to read stuff in anuthing but Danish and English then it will mostly be on the internet, or it will be a book from my own fairly limited collection. And studying - which in my case includes copying text segments by hand - is so slow that counting pages would be ridiculous.

However if I'm abroad I like to visit the local libraries, and since II can generally get through a book in any Germanic or Romance language during one visit. But for a number of reason I haven't traveled much outside Denmark lately, and even though I do visit libraries here too (and read a book or two per visit) I can't see the point in counting pages.

So in my log I mostly just write about things I have read at home - sometimes on the internet, sometimes (in tiny bits) as goodnight reading, but mostly stuff I have read intensively.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:56 pm

I don't really log everything I read. I have one of those little bars in my signature and I have mentioned books I have read, but that's about it. The main 'log' for physical books is that that move from the 'to do' pile. I note down a book if it was an e-book. I don't log pages or word counts for the sake of it, mainly because it seems boring and ineffectual to me. It also doesn't motivate me.

However... I do make notes and extract 'problem words' and sentences or passages that have stumped me and need investigating. It always feels like a worthwhile exercise because zooming-in and making an investigation creates a memory for me and I tend not to forget what was investigated.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

rowanexer
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N2), French (B1), Portuguese (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19019

Postby rowanexer » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:09 pm

I use the app Storygraph. I find it really motivating to see what I've been reading each day, and to see the little line graph go up each month.

When I figured out I could record audio books like Pimsleur and Michel Thomas it became a mainstay of my language learning. I only wish there was a way to enter the minutes I listen to podcasts, so I could have all my reading and listening in one place.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:39 pm

I always log the amount of time I spend reading on a spread sheet. At the end of the year I will know how much time was spent reading a particular book or Bien Dire or listening to a particular podcast.

My book reading always includes underlining words I don't know and writing them on a list for review later. The paper lists are stored with each book in my library. All the books I read are books in paper; nothing digital.

I have never done Anki but I do write lists......i also leave post-its around with words I have trouble with.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”