If you know one Slavic language well, how easy is it to learn others?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
dylan413
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Russian (C2)
Italian (B2)
Ukrainian (B1)
Azeri (A2)
French (A2)
Turkish (A2)
Uzbek (A2)

Re: If you know one Slavic language well, how easy is it to learn others?

Postby dylan413 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:23 am

Irena wrote:
dylan413 wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:Have a look at the old HTLAL thread Slavic Language Family Learning Sequence. In the very last post, Theodisce says:
Theodisce wrote:If I was to draw a conclusion, I would say that 100 hours of listening to a language is a solid foundation upon which to build your knowledge, provided you already have a decent command of a Slavic language.

This post is excellent regarding its clear analysis of the different challenges and advantages of each Slavic language, but I think Russian is the best choice for almost anyone studying a Slavic language for the first time. Maybe if someone's family is Polish or if they are marrying someone from Bulgaria it's better to choose a language other than Russian, but I wouldn't recommend someone who finds grammar difficult to start with Bulgarian or for someone who wants a slightly easier time acquiring vocabulary to start with Czech. At least for me, maintaining motivation is the key. No other Slavic language compares to Russian in regard to the amount of content and overall general usefulness of the language. If the fact that Russian grammar is slightly more challenging than Bulgarian grammar is going to trip them up starting with Bulgarian, I don't think they'll have a shot at learning Bulgarian without getting bored by the lack of resources and content in the language. I've lived in Azerbaijan for the past two years and I profoundly regret not having gone with Turkish first despite the fact that Azerbaijani language surrounds me every day. The lack of resources in Azerbaijani and interesting content in the language makes it so much more challenging to keep up the minimum level of motivation necessary to continue progressing. If I had gone with Turkish, I think things would be completely different.

I very much agree with this post, except for the part I highlighted in bold. In fact, in terms of vocabulary acquisition, Czech is probably the hardest Slavic language for a Westerner to learn. Why? Because back in the 19th century, Czech revivalists deliberately purged the language of Western loanwords and replaced them with words of Slavic origin. That's how you get words such as dějepis and zeměpis for history and geography, respectively, whereas other Slavic languages (well, most of them, certainly including Russian) would use obvious loanwords. Now, it's true that Czech does in fact have the words historie and geografie, which you're welcome to use, but if you're learning Czech, you'd better know dějepis and zeměpis as well, since they are the ones that native speakers are more likely to use.

But yes, I definitely agree that Russian is by far the most obvious Slavic language to start with, unless of course the person has a compelling reason to learn something else instead. Moving to the Czech Republic would be an excellent reason to start with Czech instead. ;) But to be honest, I pity people who have to learn Czech as their first Slavic language. There just aren't that many good resources for Czech, and so unless you already have the intuition for how Slavic languages work (especially the case system), plus a healthy vocabulary size in some other Slavic language (because that gives you a good source of cognates), it's gotta be tough. It's not impossible, obviously, but it isn't easy. There are many more resources for Russian, which allows for a gentler learning curve and therefore higher odds of success.

I was repeating Professor Arguelles's argument in the blog post from HTLAL. He argued that Czech would be the best choice for someone who struggles with vocabulary to start with because it has more loan words from other local European languages. So if you're a native speaker of English, German, or another non-Slavic European language, you're more likely to have an easier time learning Czech. I know absolutely nothing about Czech language and have no opinion on the matter myself.
4 x

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:30 am

dylan413 wrote:I was repeating Professor Arguelles's argument in the blog post from HTLAL. He argued that Czech would be the best choice for someone who struggles with vocabulary to start with because it has more loan words from other local European languages. So if you're a native speaker of English, German, or another non-Slavic European language, you're more likely to have an easier time learning Czech. I know absolutely nothing about Czech language and have no opinion on the matter myself.

Got it! Okay, then Arguelles was wrong about Czech. ;) But then again, doesn't he like reading lots of old literature? Who knows, maybe if you read Czech texts from 1800 or so (there wouldn't be very many of those...), they'd be full of Germanisms.
5 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:35 pm

I wrote about my experience learning two, Russian first, then Serbian/Croatian, here: Learn if fast, lose it fast.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:20 am

tastyonions wrote:Is a Russian speaker learning, say, Polish, in a similar position to a Spanish speaker taking on Italian or French?

Warning: LONG post below.

---

I can’t answer your answer with the precise examples given, but can summarize my experience as someone who started studying Slovak in earnest after having learned Polish to a high-beginner / low-intermediate level. Even then, I might be even more removed from the example that you have in mind since I began to study Polish as a native speaker of English who was already fluent in French, had studied some Latin, and was working on German and Hungarian.

Slovak is my second Slavonic language and when I started learning it a lot of the novelty in it was gone even with my less-than-fluent background in Polish at that time. Note that Polish and Slovak belong to the same subgroup within Slavonic so the similarity between them is greater than what’s observed between either of them on one hand, and say Russian on the other.

Vocabulary acquisition in Slovak was easier than otherwise because of all of the common Slavonic cognates although here’s a short list of the many false friends between the two languages.

Slovak pronunciation is fairly straightforward with a Polish background although I needed to mind that Slovak stress is almost always fixed on the first syllable (as in Czech) whereas in Polish it’s almost always fixed on the second-last syllable. Note that a word’s stress in most other Slavonic languages (e.g. Russian, Bulgarian, BCMS/Serbo-Croatian) is not fixed which makes the learning of proper pronunciation of unfamiliar vocabulary much more challenging. This was my experience when studying BCMS/Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Ukrainian and Russian.

A few Slavonic languages, Russian in particular, also exhibit vowel reduction which largely explains why Russian spelling is so unphonemic compared to the spelling of other Slavonic languages which lack that vowel reduction. Slovak and Polish (among a few others) are blessed by fixed (i.e. predictable) stress and a lack of vowel reduction, which in turn makes their spelling highly phonemic and the learning of proper pronunciation based on spelling alone much less stressful.

Polish and Slovak use extensive inflection with noticeable similarities in the endings and/or the patterns used. Note that the vocative is still used in Polish (and Czech) whereas in Slovak it is not, barring a few masculine animate nouns whose vocative forms are taught nowadays more as exceptions than proof of Slovak maintaining a paradigm of seven rather than six cases.

Compare the full declension of Polish pies and Slovak pes “dog”:

Polish pies / Slovak pesPolish - singularSlovak - singularPolish - pluralSlovak - plural
Nominativepiespespsypsi, psy
Accusativepsapsapsypsov, psy
Genitivepsapsapsówpsov
Dativepsupsovipsompsom
Locativepsiepsovipsachpsoch
Instrumentalpsempsompsamipsami
VocativepsieN/ApsyN/A

Compare the full declension of Polish dobry and Slovak dobrý “good”:

Polish dobry (singular)Masculine inanimateMasculine animateFeminineNeuter
Nominativedobrydobrydobradobre
Accusativedobrydobregodobrądobre
Genitivedobregodobregodobrejdobrego
Dativedobremudobremudobrejdobremu
Locativedobrymdobrymdobrejdobrym
Instrumentaldobrymdobrymdobrądobrym
Vocativedobrydobrydobradobre

Slovak dobrý (singular)Masculine inanimateMasculine animateFeminineNeuter
Nominativedobrýdobrýdobrádobré
Accusativedobrýdobréhodobrúdobré
Genitivedobréhodobréhodobrejdobrého
Dativedobrémudobrémudobrejdobrému
Locativedobromdobromdobrejdobrom
Instrumentaldobrýmdobrýmdobroudobrým
VocativeN/AN/AN/AN/A

Polish dobry (plural)Masculine inanimateMasculine animateFeminineNeuter
Nominativedobredobrzydobredobre
Accusativedobredobrychdobredobre
Genitivedobrychdobrychdobrychdobrych
Dativedobrymdobrymdobrymdobrym
Locativedobrychdobrychdobrychdobrych
Instrumentaldobrymidobrymidobrymidobrymi
Vocativedobredobrzydobredobre

Slovak dobrý (plural)Masculine inanimateMasculine animateFeminineNeuter
Nominativedobrédobrídobrédobré
Accusativedobrédobrýchdobrédobré
Genitivedobrýchdobrýchdobrýchdobrých
Dativedobrýmdobrýmdobrýmdobrým
Locativedobrýchdobrýchdobrýchdobrých
Instrumentaldobrýmidobrýmidobrýmidobrými
VocativeN/AN/AN/AN/A

Compare the present tense conjugation of Polish czytać and Slovak čítať “to read” (imperfective)

czytaćčítať
1st person singularczytamčítam
2nd person singularczytaszčítaš
3rd person singularczytačíta
1st person pluralczytamyčítame
2nd person pluralczytaciečítate
3rd person pluralczytająčítajú

A solid grounding in basic Polish grammar makes grasping Slovak grammar fairly painless, notwithstanding the differences in the details. One of many such differences includes case governance for verbs with the Polish cognate requiring a different case from the Slovak one as exemplified by Polish uczyć się “to learn“ governing an object in the genitive while the Slovak counterpart učiť sa requires an object in the accusative. For example:

English: I’m learning caligraphy.
Polish: Uczę się kaligrafii. (not *Uczę się kaligrafię (accusative))
Slovak: Učím sa kaligrafiu. (not *Učím sa kaligrafie (genitive))

Another difference is the less elaborate setup for Slovak verbs of motion compared to that of Polish (and Czech, Russian and Ukrainian).

For example in Polish:

- Idę do ciebie dziś po południu. “I’m going / walking to your place [home] this afternoon.” (Motion without a vehicle that’s not part of a routine or habit. There’s more emphasis on the goal of the motion than the process)
- Chodzę do ciebie każdego dnia. “I go / walk to your place [home] every day.” (Motion without a vehicle and that’s part of a routine or habit. There’s more emphasis on the process than the goal of the motion)
- Jadę do ciebie dziś po południu na rowerze. “I’m going to your place [home] this afternoon by bike” ~ “I’m riding over to your place this afternoon.” (Motion with a vehicle that’s not part of a routine or habit. There’s more emphasis on the goal of the motion than the process.)
- Jeżdżę do ciebie każdego dnia na rowerze. “I go to your place [home] every day by bike” (Motion with a vehicle that’s part of a routine or habit. There’s more emphasis on the process than the goal of the motion)

Meanwhile in Slovak:

- Idem k tebe dnes poobede. “I’m going to your place [home] this afternoon”
- Chodím k tebe každý deň. “I go to your place [home] every day.”

There’s no explicit distinction with either verb about whether I’m going on foot or by vehicle and it’s up to me to determine whether it’s necessary to make that distinction. If it were necessary or noteworthy, I could put an adverb like pešo “on foot” or an adverbial phrase like na bicykli “on a / by bike”. This could be the case if I were going to the other person’s home in a way that’s different from what is typical or expected of me.

For some related discussion on verbs of motion in Slavonic languages with examples, click here.

On a related note, the concept of most verbs coming in imperfective and perfective variants to account for aspectual differences is a novelty when you’ve never studied a Slavonic language before.

In broader terms, even Polish wasn’t that exotic as my first Slavonic language. I was far from a rookie as a language-learner so inflection, be it in case-marking or in verb conjugation was not surprising for me. Most sounds in Polish aren’t that exotic and typologically it’s a nominative-accusative language (i.e. it’s not ergative like Basque or Georgian) like all of the other languages that I had studied before embarking on Polish. In layman’s terms, this means that the fundamental principle of case-marking as I had learned it in English, French, German, Latin and Hungarian was also present in Polish. At the start, I needed instead to spend a lot more time building a base in vocabulary since most Polish words don’t look or sound that similar to cognates in non-Slavonic languages (when such cognates exist) and learning enough of the details of Polish grammar and pronunciation to attain a useful level of command in the language.

In general, the ease by which someone will have when learning a second Slavonic language will depend on the language pair involved plus the motivation or innate ability of the learner. Some Slavonic languages resemble each other more than others and learners can exploit this fact if they so wish. It ranges from the arguably absurd instance of a Serb learning Croatian as a “foreign language” (comparable to an American learning British English) to a less absurd but fairly straightforward case of a Czech learning Slovak (comparable to a Swede learning Norwegian) to an uncontroversial but more intellectually demanding case of a Pole learning Bulgarian (comparable to a Spaniard learning Romanian).

In my case, learning Slovak as the second Slavonic language after Polish was quite easy. I doubt that I would have had it as easy if I had instead chosen BCMS/Serbo-Croatian, Russian or Bulgarian as that second Slavonic language. Bulgarian and Macedonian are outliers in the Slavonic languages since they mark explicit definiteness (although think of “definite suffixes” instead of definite articles as in English, French, German etc.), and they’ve effectively dispensed with the entire case-marking system but have expanded verb conjugation in ways that are foreign to all other Slavs. Conjugation in Bulgarian and Macedonian resembles somewhat of what you’d see in Romance languages since verb endings take into account whether or not the action is factual, observed or verified. In this way, they’re a little like the tense distinctions in Romance languages for indicative (i.e. factual or observed actions) versus subjunctive actions (i.e. hypothetical, desired or reported actions).

On the related discussion about which Slavonic language is the best gateway for exploring the whole family, I’ve posted elsewhere that I consider Slovak instead of higher-profile languages such as Russian or Polish to be a very good choice, if not actually the best one. In short, Slovak’s development has been such that it has shares a fair number of features with many Slavonic languages as I’ve noted in the Slovak profile (scroll to the middle of the profile for the subsection on mutual intelligibility). As a Western Slavonic language, it’s naturally close to Czech and Polish - particularly the former. At the same time, it shows quite a lot of similarity with Southern Slavonic languages (particularly BCMS/Serbo-Croatian) since the central Slovak dialects which form the basis of standard Slovak were heavily influenced by speakers of a Southern Slavonic language. They may very well have been the ancestors of today’s Slovenes, Croats and Serbs when they lived in modern-day Hungary before migrating farther south to the Balkans no later than the 9th or 10th centuries. These “Yugoslavian” similarities are absent in Czech and Polish, thus rendering Slovak as surprisingly intelligible for Southern Slavs despite being a Western Slavonic language. I included commentary from several people who’ve studied at least two Slavonic languages in the Balto-Slavonic profile on the old forum. For interest’s sake, I’ll quote it all below:

On April 11, 2011, Chung wrote:
Ardaschir/ProfArguelles wrote:[...] As has been noted before, the best entry to the Slavic languages should be any language, however small and insignificant, to which you have personal ties or special opportunities to study, etc. However, what is the best course for an ideal someone who wants to learn the whole family from scratch?

First of all, what is the whole family? The “grandmother” is “Old Bulgarian” or “Old Church Slavonic” and it is divided into three geographic sub-families. East is Russian, Ukrainian, and Byelorussian, West is Polish, Czech, Slovak, and Sorbian, while South is Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bosnian, and Bulgarian, and there are undoubtedly others that I have forgotten sitting here writing from memory. Some of these have tens of millions of speakers, others only a few; some have long-standing literary traditions, others have really only come into being since c. 1990. The literary factor is more important to me than the spoken factor, and thus as far as I am concerned (apart from Old Church Slavonic) the main languages are six: Russian, Polish, Czech, Serbian, Slovenian, and Bulgarian. Of these, Slovenian is so small (something like a million speakers) that there are few learning resources, and these are of poor quality. What about the other five?

I believe there are three learning strategies for getting at them:

1) “Conservative” = learn Russian first. Russian is unquestionably the largest and most important by any standards. No one will regret having begun with Russian and gotten no further, whereas someone who starts with Macedonian or Slovak and gets no further will probably regret this decision somewhere down the line. Presuming you do continue with the project, after Russian it would probably be best to alternate Western and Southern languages.

2) “Grammatical”: If you know that grammar is your weak point, then you should being with Bulgarian, for this is unquestionably the most “simplified” language of the family. From Bulgarian, you should proceed to one Eastern (Russian) and then one Western (Czech/Polish) before returning to another Southern language, then the other Western.

3) “Lexical”: If you know that vocabulary is your weak point, then you should begin with a Western language (either Polish or Czech) as these have the most Latin/ French/ German (and therefore English) words, and then Russian and then a Southern language before returning to the other Western and concluding with the other Southern.

I myself started with Russian. I cannot calculate the hours exactly, but I shadowed Assimil's older Russisch ohne Muehe for years, wrote out the entire text numerous times, and did grammatical exercises from an old Hugo's course and several others, then read bilingual texts and some children's texts before spending a month immersed in it, living with a family in St. Petersburg and taking private tutorials for about 6 hours each day.

When I was able to read Russian literature with ease and pleasure, I began with Polish, then moved through Serbocroatian, Czech, and Bulgarian. I've never yet stood the test of speaking any of these, but I believe I built a solid foundation in all of them. Knowing Russian as well as I did, they was indeed a great amount of knowledge to transfer, and they were all largely transparent when I began with them. By the time I got to Bulgarian, I didn't feel as if I was really learning anything new anymore, but rather only practicing variations on a theme. This may be because of the above mentioned grammatical simplicity of the language, but I think it was rather due to overall familiarity with the family.

I would recommend this sequence or one of the other two to others, even if you are more interested in learning the purely "conversational" languages in addition to the literary five. These five have the most abundant learning materials, and after you know them, you should not need much assistance to get at the others.

Those with scholarly philological interest should of course also study Old Church Slavonic at some point early in the process. However, this is not really the direct ancestor of them all, but rather only the earliest attested form of the language that we have, so knowledge of it is not as indispensable as knowledge of Latin for the Romance family.

(Ed.: Prof. Arguelles' comments are from the opening post in the discussion “Slavic Language Family Learning Sequence”)

Chung wrote:Of the Slavonic languages that I studied/have been studying, I find Slovak to be the least difficult and BCMS/SC, Slovenian and Ukrainian tied as the most difficult. Czech and Polish fall somewhere between these extremes. The similarities between various Slavonic languages can be very obvious and learning one Slavonic language will noticeably simplify the task of reaching basic command in the other. Collaborative profiles for various Slavonic languages in addition to discussions on HTLAL deal with this topic in greater detail.

These are the top 3 reasons why I find Slovak to be the easiest Slavonic language to learn:
1) Stress is fixed and there’s no vowel reduction (like Czech and Polish but unlike Russian and Ukrainian) and no pitch-accent (unlike BCMS/SC and Slovenian)

2) Inflection is somewhat more regular or has been “levelled” more than in other Slavonic languages (e.g. Czech, Polish or Ukrainian)

3) It does not make as many morphological distinctions for tenses as in Southern Slavonic languages (i.e. nowhere near the complexity of BCMS/SC with its 7 tenses, to say nothing of Bulgarian’s 10 tenses in indicative mood alone)

From the point of view of Slavonic languages that I’ve studied, here are some tips as they relate to learning a second Slavonic language.

1) If you know Polish, get used to the stress in Czech and Slovak being on the first syllable rather than the second-last one. I’ve caught myself several times speaking Czech or Slovak with Polish stress placement.

2) If you know only a Slavonic language that has fixed stress, get used to the frustration of learning to deal with Slavonic languages that have mobile stress. Mastering the imperative in Ukrainian is a case in point since constructing the Ukrainian imperative depends on the stress placement of a given verb’s conjugation in present tense and the stress' position varies here by definition.

3) If you know BCMS/SC or Ukrainian, get used to the fact that certain final consonants lose their voicing in other Slavonic languages. In other words, final b, d, g in print are pronounced more like p, t, k while final v in print is pronounced more like f (in Czech, Polish and Russian) or w (in Slovak and Slovenian).

4) If you know BCMS/SC, Slovak or Slovenian, get used to verbs of motion making more distinctions in Belorussian, Czech, Polish, Russian and Ukrainian.

5) If you know BCMS/SC, Czech or Slovenian, get used to the fact that accusative plural endings for masculine animate nouns in Polish, Russian, Slovak and Ukrainian are the same as their masculine genitive plural endings. In other words BCMS/SC, Czech and Slovenian do not follow the pattern in those latter 4 languages.

Hauteville wrote:Hello!

I think I should introduce myself first. My name is Karol and I'm from Poland. I've been reading this forum for a few years and I've found many interesting things on the topic of language learning. There are so many great people here and I want to thank all of you for lots of interesting content. Now is the time when I would like to add some commentary which (I hope so) could be useful for learners or people who are generally interested in Slavic languages.

RUSSIAN
When I was 20, I began to study Russian at my University. It's quite common in Poland to think that the main difficulty of Russian is Cyrillic script. Actually, the script is not a big problem. If someone works hard, it can be learned in 2 or 3 days. Of course, you can meet people who study Serbian (which also uses Cyrillic script) and can't read Cyrillic fonts fluently, but it's only because of their laziness; not because of the so-called "difficulty" of the alphabet.

The main problem that Polish people have with Russian is definitely the pronounciation. Russian is very melodic language, the main stress may fall on any syllable, which is difficult to master for Polish speakers as our language has fixed stress. Apart from that there are sounds that are difficult for Polish speakers: л (Polish people tend to mispronounce it like "ł/l"), сь (mispronounced like "ś"), ть (mispronounced like "ć"), дь ("dź") and ч ("ć"). But I think that's all what is really difficult for us. Russian grammar is very similar to ours and much more regular than, for example, Czech one. An average student of Russian language in Poland can speak it with basic fluency after 3 years at university.

UKRAINIAN/BELARUSSIAN
I've spent a few months in Ukraine, so I've picked up some Ukrainian. It's my favourite Slavic language (It sounds like Russian, but is much harder. I've always liked to compare Russian with German and Ukrainian with Dutch), but I've never had an opportunity to learn it well. When I was in Ukraine, I lived in the area of Luhansk where Russian is the dominant language. When I came home I tried to learn it several times by myself, but I've never been able to study more than 4 languages at the same time, so I had to put it off. But still I can read books or magazines in Ukrainian without any problems, I can understand Ukrainian pretty well, thanks to its similarity to Polish and Russian. The only problem is, that my spoken Ukrainian is strongly corrupted with Russian words.

The same thing I can say about Belarussian. It is so similar to Russian and Polish (even more than Ukrainian) that I can understand it (at least written language) quite well. But I've never learnt it in a systematical way and I don't claim to speak it at all.

The difficulty of Ukrainian and Belarussian is the same as of Russian. There are some details that can be harder, like pronounciation of Ukrainian "г", but still they are quite easy languages to learn for Polish speakers.

BOSNIAN/CROATIAN/SERBIAN
Right now I'm a student of Serbo-Croatian Philology and I learn the ekavian standard of BCS, mainly known as Serbian (But it's worth to know that Serbian from Bosnia is jekavian). BCS isn't as melodic as Eastern Slavic languages and it is really hard to find any sound that could be difficult to pronounce for Polish speakers. The vocabulary is also quite similar to ours (if you know Russian you get even bigger bonus). But the grammar isn't as easy as in the case of Russian. There are 7 tenses which can be quite surprising for people who only studied Eastern or Western Slavic languages before. Some of these tenses aren't used often in everyday communication, but it doesn't mean that you don't have to know them. In fact they are quite common in literature and some dialects.

There are also some traits in Serbian which are typical for Balkan languages like disappearance of the infinitive form of the verb and less complicated case system (mainly in Torlak dialects). Croatian, on the other hand, doesn't have Balkan features, but its vocabulary is "true Slavic", there are much less international borrowings and therefore it is much harder to learn, even for Polish people.

Kisfroccs wrote: [...]I've been both in Poland and Croatia/Serbia/Bosnia/Macedonia within a year's time.

In Poland I learned quite rapidly basic sentence, but without explanations of what this and that meant, I got nowhere. I was there 10 days, in a polish family, whose father also french spoke. But I was a lot out in town, where all was in Polish.

Listening : okay, but I learned not so much
Reading : oh oh, that was a pain in the ass :)

In Serbia, I had the impression it was easier. In Niš, I tried to read a newspaper and understood about what it was, without prior knowledge of the language. In Bosnia, a lady at the gas station asked me if I had coins : she asked me in Serbocroatian, never studied it, but I understood it completely. I she did not make any gesture to indicate what she wanted. It was really strange.

And I think Hungarian helped me too : as there are certainly slavonic loan words in Hungarian, when I was in Montenegro, I saw the sign Soba, which, I guess is the same meaning as szoba. I never checked :).

Before I went to these countries, I never studied any of these languages. I studied Russian for 6 month, with a theater teacher who happened to speak Russian as she lived in former URSS. She helped to put a concept "slavonic language" in my mind, and how they worked. Actually, I've forgot almost all about Russian. When I was in Poland, I had the impression from the spoken language, that Polish was a mix of Russian and Portuguese. I hardly understood something, though.

In Croatia it was something which I would qualify as odd, as I understood what they wanted to say, or what they were saying.

Anyway, I noted the amount of French and German in the Russian, the familiarity between Russian, Polish and Croatian, and the slavonic loan word in Hungarian and it is really interesting to see - evolving in one's time of studying languages - how languages are linked.

Hungarian structure is similar to German. I learn it from German, not from French, because it's too far away. Whether I learn Croatian from French....

I've noted (and I'm surely not the only one) that in every language, the negation as something to do with an "n". Nein, non, nem, nie, ne, 'niet', no etc. :)

So, I think this is all I can say to this subject, surely things that have been already said.

maxval wrote: I have studied seriously Bulgarian and Russian. And I also had some kind of studies of Church Slavonic, BCMS and Slovenian.

My suggestions are:
1. Your first Slavonic language should be one with a Cyrillic alphabet. Choose BCMS, Bulgarian or Russian!
2. From a practical viewpoint the best option is Russian.
3. Gramatically Bulgarian (and of course Macedonian, which is de facto the same) is the most distant from all other Slavonic languages: presence of articles, almost no noun conjugation, complex system of verb conjugation, so it is a very atypical Slavonic language.
4. Lexically Bulgarian would be a very good choice, since it has the most common words with other Slavonic languages. Also, many Slavonic languages were influenced by Church Slavonic which is originated in the Old Bulgarian language.

Studying Bulgarian from Russian viewpoint, potential problems:
1. Learning the use of the articles.
2. Learning pronunciation, specially the lesser degree of palatalization and the lack of palatalization before “e” and “i” vowels.
3. Learning to use the complex verb system, specially the verb tenses.

Studying Russian from Bulgarian viewpoint, potential problems:
1. Learning the difference between use of endings expressing “static situation” and “movement”.
2. Learning use of Accusative in nouns.
3. Learning correct use of noun cases, specially with prepositions.

msherl wrote: I have studied both Russian and Serbo-Croat (though not to a fluent level) and can give you my opinion on the matter. I find Russian, undoubtedly, the most difficult of the two to learn, though not by a large amount. The reasons are both lexical and grammatical. Lexically, I find it harder to memorise Russian words (though I'm not quite sure why this is). Grammatically, Russian has a much more intricate set of verbs to describe motion and the gentive case is much more difficult in the plural.
However, syntactically, Serbo-Croat is certainly more difficult as there are a set of rules to determine the order of words known as "enclitics" which appear in the language frequently. In practise though you should soon get used to what "feels" right.
I'll try and post more on the matter when I have more time.

(Ed.: msherl's comments are from post no. 22 in the discussion “Slavic Language Family Learning Sequence”)

prz_ wrote: As a native speaker of Polish i can put my oar in to discussion. My first Slavic language which I've started to learn (except some abortive attempts with Slovenian and Croatian) has been Bulgarian. It's relatively easy language (especially for Slavs), because, except quite indigent vocative, it has no cases. The only problem for me are articles, which use sometimes seems to be harder than these in English. Very soon I've started learning the second Slavic language - Macedonian. And, even with the existence of three definite articles pertaining to position of the object and constructions like Јас го видов човекот ("I have seen him, the man") appears to be even easier than Bulgarian. But I warn you - if you don't have to, don't learn them twice at the same time - after almost monthly visit in Macedonia I speak something which i can describe "Bulgedonian". Let's hope it will pass soon :)

During this holiday I've started with two another Slavic languages: Ukrainian and Slovak. And here another tip - if you are tame with languages with declensions, don't start your adventure with Slavic languages with neither Bulgarian nor Macedonian... because it bludges. Well, but to brass tacks. Ukrainian is probably the easiest language for someone who's native language is Polish. With a little grammar explanation and dictionary you can simply start reading news or even books written in relatively easy language. Plus, there is no special difference between written and read words, like it is sometimes in Russian. With Slovak is a bit harder (though only a bit), but luckily I have found an amazing book called "Krížom krážom", which is one of the best language books for beginners I've ever seen.

If you'd like to ask me about the first slavic language, I would definitely say: RUSSIAN (even if I don't like such domination of one language). Knowing Russian you can count on a great number of sources for other Slavic languages, and, especially, languages of Caucasus and Central Asia. But I recommend you all of the Slavic languages - it's a great pleasure to learn them. My wish is to know every of them at least at A2 level, will this work out? We'll see.

ruskivyetr wrote: Studying Polish with previous knowledge in Russian:

I began with Russian, and I really delved into it by learning most of the cases and many prepositions in about a month. I continued to build on my vocabulary and speaking ability with much enthusiasm, until my gusto slowly decrescendo'd into a passive learning that I am now trying to work up to the lion it was before.

However, before I burned-out, I reached at least a lower B1 level in Russian. I no longer have that "B1" proficiency in production, but can understand spoken and most written Russian with B1 proficiency. I decided to begin with Polish for a variety of reasons. It is spoken by much of my extended family, and I have many relatives still in Poland. Including family, about every other friend I have is Polish, and I often find myself in Polish speaking situations. When I began Polish, I already had an idea of how similar it is to Russian, but I was confused when I saw more similarities than expected.

When learning Polish from a Russian base, you have a lot already covered regarding pronouns and possessive adjectives. In addition, there are also similarities with case formation, and strikingly similar features regarding case usage (in my opinion they are practically identical, but I'm going to leave that to someone more qualified to say so :). A lot of prepositions are similar, as are their meanings/usages, although one does see variation in that regard.

With regards to pronunciation, I don't really know how much my Russian "helped". I think it was actually somewhat of a detriment, seeing as how Russian has very reduced vowels, whereas Polish does not. Polish was actually easier in regards to orthography, and it was fun seeing the Latin alphabet version of a word that is practically the same between the two...which brings me to my next point:

Vocabulary!

Polish and Russian obviously share a lot of vocabulary, and in my opinion it's quite a lot seeing as how Russian is Eastern Slavic and Polish is Western. There are some false friends (i.e. words that are identical but mean completely different things in each language). Just don't speak a sloppy mixture of the two and you shouldn't have a problem :).

Well that's my two cents. I hope that someone finds this information useful in making a decision between the two languages, or if they want to learn Polish with a Russian base :). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Ruskivyetr

P.S. I just wanted to add that it is also possible to have "conversations" with other Slavic language speakers if you know a little of a few Slavic languages. For example, I can have conversations with my Czech friend (I have at one point dabbled in Czech) and my Polish friends by infusing Polish/Russian (into the Czech) or Czech/Russian (into the Polish). It provides for some confusion, and of course you will revert to using much of your strongest language (mine being Russian), however it's still a lot of fun and we still manage to get our points across. Granted Polish and Czech are closely related, so it may not work with "further" languages like Bulgarian, Croatian, or Slovenian.

Theodisce wrote: [...] As a person with some experience in Czech and Slovak I'd like to share my thoughts. Having read a lot of medieval and early modern Polish texts I had easier access to Czech and Slovak, I guess, than most of my fellow countrymen, as they tend to preserve some archaic vocabulary not used in modern Polish.

I believe Slovak is more similar to Polish than Czech is. I started my journey with Slovak and Slovak Radio was my main resource as I believe in the importance of input and prefer audio materials. It wasn't difficult to begin to listen and unknown content explained itself by the way native speakers used their vocabulary. But when I invited a friend of mine to listen to Slovak radio, she didn't understand much. It was the moment I realized I had devoted to Slovak a significant amount of time. Still, for a Polish speaker, few weeks of radio based immersion would be sufficient to understand above 75%-80% of the content.

Czech is slightly more remote from Polish than Slovak is, still, immersion and patience gave me passive knowledge of the language similar to my command of Slovak. I would suggest Slovak-> Czech sequence for Polish speaking people.

Both Czech and Slovak are blessed with a large amount of podcasts available thanks to corresponding national radio websites. Having bigger native population, Czech has more rich literary tradition.

To sum it up, I believe 20-30 hours of listening to radio material would be enough if you already speak decent Polish. The numbers would be probably different for other languages in the family.

Having studied Slovak and Czech, I wanted to check if I would understand other Slavic languages in their written form. I discovered I was able to read a short Wikipedia article in Russian and Croatian with about 50-60% comprehension, which is a nice percentage to begin with.Sorbian has showed itself to be yet more intelligible, sharing familiar features with Czech and Polish. Written Ukrainian contains a lot of Polish loanwords and again I was able to read Ukrainian Wikipedia articles with some degree of comprehension.

Vlad wrote: Some observations for the Slovak – Czech – Russian combination

- Czech is closer to Russian than Slovak when it comes to grammar and vocabulary both.
- Czech and Russian both often use dual adjective forms like: jsem ti vděčný/jsem ti vděčen whereas Slovak doesn’t use these at all.
- Czech and Russian both often use verbal forms like the Russian говорящий, говоривший, Slovak doesn’t.
- Czech and Russian both have similar ways of building conditional constructions.
- Both Czech and Russian have the distinction between „to go by foot“ and „to go by car/tram/plane..“ while Slovak doesn‘t.
- Czech has absorbed a lot of German words, Slovak has absorbed a lot of Hungarian words and both of the languages, especially at a formal level use a lot of Latin-based or English-based vocabulary. Russian seems to be much more conservative in this respect and if there is a Russian word for the Latin or English equivalent, it will use the Russian one.
- In both Czech and Slovak the stress falls on the first syllable, in Russian it doesn’t.
- In some situations, Russian language uses a different case compared to the same situation in Slovak or Czech.
- In some situations, Russian verbs are intransitive while the same verbs are transitive in Slovak or Czech

Difficulties for a speaker of Slovak studying Russian:

- dynamic stress
- sentence stress
- the pronunciation of ш ж ы вь фь рь cь
- the absence of the verb “to be” in the present tense
- some case endings
- some perfective verbal forms
- somewhat distant vocabulary (about 30-40% has to be learned or cannot be guessed)
- fixed reflexive verbal forms in Russian versus free reflexive verbal forms in Slovak: мне еще надо много учиться – ešte sa musím veľa učiť
- having to realize when to use иду and еду, since this difference does not exist in Slovak.

winters wrote: [...] I can speak both Croatian & Russian. Russian is, if you know another slavic languages, relatively easy to learn. Compared to Croatian, it is much easier in the aspect of morphology; when it comes to the lexis, the vocabulary of both languages is fairly similar to a decent extent (there are, though, ENTIRELY different things and so-called false friends, but, nevertheless, you can still recognise and intuitively understand many of the unknown words). The spelling is somewhat more of a challenge because it is not phonetic (despite the subtle differences in Croatian between Č and Ć, and IJE/JE, the Croatian spelling is easier, because it is mostly phonetic, whilst Russian is not as much), but once you get used to it, it is alright ;) When it comes to pronounciation, a lot of the sounds match; Russian sounds softer, though, more palatalised (which is in the script indicated by "soft" sign; there is also a "hard" one), and I suppose the only "alien" sound would be the sound of Russian "hard I" (y).
Also, the words are stressed in the Russian in the different way, i.e.it takes some time to adjust and to intuively understand which syllabe is stressed.

Overall; I could write an essay about them, but the bottomline is, they are quite similar and Russian is easy to learn if you can speak Croatian. The other way round, as far as I've seen, is more complex (i.e.it is harder to learn Croatian from Russian), but still one does not have greater problems ;)
You asked about declensions. They are similar to some extent, BUT...a lot of it confuses. For example, the word "sestre" in Croatian is in the genitive case, but in the Russian it is dative, etc... Accusative mostly matches in the singular (e.g."sestru" in both languages).

(Ed.: winters' comments are from post no. 25 in the discussion “Slavic Language Family Learning Sequence”)

zhiguli wrote: Ukrainian pronunciation could be easier because the spelling is more "phonetic" and it's more sparing with palatalized sounds than Russian (which are said to be especially difficult for native English-speakers).

This closer reflection of pronunciation does cause other problems. In Ukrainian і/у in prepositions/prefixes regularly alternate with й/в (something that does not happen in Russian) and there are a bunch of rules to learn for this, and they are not always followed consistently.

Another example: the preposition з "from", which has the variants із/зі/ізо(ізі) in Ukrainian while the Russian equivalent is с (and со before a small number of consonant clusters).
Ukrainian also has a vowel shift і>о/е, while Russian has nothing of the sort.

As for vocabulary, it's hard to say. Ukrainian has been playing second fiddle to Russian for such a long time that it does seem to be a poorer, "village" language with a smaller vocabulary. On the other hand its word stock is also more characteristically Slavic, while Russian has more international words and loans from French/German/English/etc. Ukrainian also has a lot of dialects and the standard language is not so firmly entrenched as it is in Russia. Many people write according to the norms of their dialect rather than the standard, even in newspapers (I suspect this is one reason I can't find certain words in dictionaries, something that is not much of an issue with Russian).

Likewise for grammar. Some things are more regular in Ukrainian, like the plural (in masculine/feminine nouns the ending is almost always и/і, while Russian has a whole bunch of exceptions), but other things are more complicated, like:
- the -у/-а split in the genitive ending (in Russian it's almost always -a)
- the split -у/ові dative ending (in Russian - always -у)
- the vocative (various endings, as pointed out this one is largely absent from Russian)
etc.

In general the -а -ові endings are used for animate masculine nouns, but beyond this the rules are vague at best.
Ukrainian also seems more "composed", where Russian would use separate words following regular declension, Ukrainian has longer, single words that are not the same as the sum of their parts. For example saying "in x season":

En. Rus. Ukr.
"In winter" зимой взимку ("в зимі")
"In spring" весной навесні ("у весні")
"In summer" летом влітку ("у літі")
"In fall" осенью восени ("в осені")

In Rus. it's just the instrumental case of the noun.

Of course I'm biased, coming from it from having studied Russian first, but overall Ukrainian, at least as far as grammar is concerned, seems more difficult and capricious.

(Ed.: zhiguli's comments are from post no. 6 in the discussion “Is Ukrainian easier than Russian?”)

Based on my experience of studying Russian, I noted in the old forum some of its oddities which make it stand out from other Slavonic languages. This could even be taken as partial evidence of how Russian is not necessarily the best choice as a “gateway” Slavonic language from a philological standpoint despite having the largest number of speakers. It’s a little like finding out that learning English first is not the ideal gateway into exploring all of the other Germanic languages or doing the same with Turkish with respect to all of the other Turkic languages.

- Selected vocabulary from “Oxford Take Off in Russian”
- Selected vocabulary from “New Penguin Russian Course”
- Cognates of derivatives of PIE *méntis “thought”
- Selected grammatical features from “New Penguin Russian Course”
12 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:10 am

Wow! Amazingly thorough, thanks for all that.
0 x

Chung
Blue Belt
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:11 pm

tastyonions wrote:Wow! Amazingly thorough, thanks for all that.

No problem.

Your post reminded me of something else that I had posted eons ago in the old forum about how intelligible Polish or Croatian would be with a background in Russian. Again, it’s not a direct answer to your question, and my post at that time wasn’t a direct answer to the original question. However, I think that it's relevant since my old post paraphrased observations by Prof. Alexander Schenker and quoted Prof. Thomas Magner who respectively had experience teaching Polish and BCMS/SC to students with a background in Russian. The relevant post is below in case you can’t see the old post on HTLAL properly.

On August 27, 2006, in “Polish/Croatian From Russian” at how-to-learn-any-language.com, Chung wrote:
Darobat wrote: I was wondering how transparent Polish or Croatian would be for someone who has a firm grounding in Russian. Is the grammar similar? Vocabulary?

Thanks

Hi Darobat

Since no one has answered yet, I'll put down what I know and have heard from the other direction (i.e. viewing Russian with a certain background in Polish and Croatian.)

According to my Czech, Polish, Slovak and Croatian friends, Russian is somewhat understandable to --them without any formal training. In all cases, my friends admit that to be able for them to use Russian properly, they would need lessons. This is no different from English speakers who need lessons to use Frisian properly. When it comes to learning Russian, my friends say that it's rather easy to learn since many of the concepts in Slavonic languages are common.

I can decipher some Russian newspaper headlines and signs quite accurately. However, I can only pick out words here and there in a Russian conversation. My level of Polish definitely isn't high enough to help me understand as much Russian unlike my friends who are native Polish speakers.

Here're 20 points from the introduction of Alexander Schenker's "Beginning Polish, Vol. 1" (pgs. xv-xviii) (Yale University Press, 1973). He notes that these are generalizations rather than rules. The list is a little long but I think that they indirectly answer your question for transparency of Polish to a Russian speaker. Set your browser's encoding to Central European (Windows) if you want to see the Polish letters properly.

1) Polish has fixed stress on the second-last syllable (EDIT: This applies in almost all cases. The forms in the conditional and a few loanwords do not follow this pattern) but Russian stress can be on any syllable.

2) In cognates, Polish nasal vowels match with Russian ya, a or u.

3) Polish ó corresponds with Russian o

4) In cognates, Polish o, ó and a sometimes match with Russian e.

5) In cognates, the soft Polish letters ć, dź, ś and ź match with the soft Russian letters for t', d', s' and z'

6) In cognates, Polish rz corresponds to Russian r'

7) Polish inserted e (which is related to the Proto-Slavonic 'jers') corresponds to Russian e or o

8) The Polish alternations of k with c, g with dz and ch with sz have their parallel with Russian alternations of k with k', g with g' and x with x'

9) Polish case endings are influenced by the final consonant of the stem. Those in Russian aren't.

10) Polish vocative is still around, Russian has virtually abandoned the vocative.

11) Polish distinguishes between masculine animate nominative plural and masculine inanimate nominative plural. Russian doesn't

12) Polish adjectives are "long", whereas Russian uses both "long" and "short" adjectives.

13) The final '-t' of the 3rd person present ending of Proto-Slavonic has dropped off in Polish but still exists in Russian.

14) Polish verbs with the present endings of "-am", and "-asz" for "I" and "thou" correspond with the Russian verbs with the present endings of "-ayu" and "-ayesh".

15) Polish adds personal suffixes to the past participles, but Russian doesn't.

16) The Polish reflexive pronoun is separate from the verb and (its position can vary) but in Russian, the reflexive pronoun is attached to the verb.

17) Polish doesn't use present passive or past active participles. Russian does.

18) Polish has the present tense of 'to be' but Russian doesn't.

19) In Polish, one uses the pronouns "I", "thou", "we" and "you" for emphasis and doesn't use them in "neutral sentences". In Russian, one must use these pronouns to compensate for the lack of information about the subject in past participles and the lack of a present tense conjugation of "to be".

20) In Polish, one uses 'pan' (one man), 'pani' (one woman), 'państwo' (group with at least one man), 'panowie' (group of men) and 'panie' (group of women) in formal or polite company. The first two forms are conjugated in the 3rd person singular, while the last three forms are conjugated in the 3rd person plural. Russian (like other Slavonic languages) uses 'vy'.

The next passage is taken from the introduction of Thomas Magner's textbook "Introduction to the Serbian and Croatian Language." (Pennsylvania State University Press, 1991) (N.B. Magner uses "Cr&S" as an abbreviation for "Croatian and Serbian")

"If you have previously studied Russian, your knowledge of that language will be helpful in approaching Cr&S. For one thing, it will be easier for you to master Serbian Cyrillic, once you have learned the small differences between Serbian Cyrillic and Russian Cyrillic. But be careful: Similarities are not identities. Both Russian and Cr&S have the words sestra, "sister" and mikroskop, "microscope", but in Russian the stress accent is on the final syllable that is, sestrá and mikroskóp, while in Cr&S, which as a general rule never has an accent on a final syllable, the accentuation would be sèstra and mikròskop. And what language scholars call "false friends", that is, words that look alike but have quite different meanings, can cause confusion and sometimes embarrassment. For example, in Russian urók and ponós mean "lesson" and "diarrhea", respectively; in Cr&S, however, ùrok means "a spell" or "a charm," while pònos means "pride."

Unlike Russian and English, Cr&S has no reduced vowels; every vowel in Cr&S gòvorite, "you speak, is pronounced as spelled, while in Russian vi govoríte only the accented vowel is pronounced as spelled. You will notice that it is not neccessary to use the pronoun in Cr&S, since pronouns are used only for emphasis: vi govorite, "you speak." So while a knowledge of Russian can be helpful, don't lean on it too heavily; Cr&S and Russian are distinct languages." (xi-xii)

My knowledge of Polish was somewhat helpful when I was learning Croatian. Interestingly, my knowledge of Slovak was even more helpful even though Slovak and Polish are part of the same genetic group (i.e. Western Slavonic languages). After a little digging, I found out that a few hundred years ago, Croats moved to then-northern Hungary and left their influence on the central Slovak dialects which in turn formed the base for Modern Standard Slovak. Anyway, I digress...

I hope that this helps.

Regards
Chung

The bottom line is that learning additional Slavonic languages with a background in Russian isn’t necessarily as helpful as it might seem from a philological point of view. Russian’s privileged place among language learners stems from a series of historical accidents (and admittedly, some longstanding Russification), which leads to a certain feedback loop leading only to more attention for Russian and media produced in the language. For us learners, a by-product is how often the question of the transparency of other Slavonic languages from the standpoint of Russian crops up.

As an outsider who studied several Slavonic languages for many years while not even touching Russian (and when I finally did start learning it, I taught myself only enough so that I could gain reading knowledge of textbooks in Russian for use in the Turkic Challenge), the attention given to Russian is understandable although at times a little bothersome for me. At its most innocent, it’s come out in how several of my friends have wondered why I’ve seemingly “wasted” the opportunity offered by Russian by regularly focusing on Slavonic languages outside Russian. I just don’t care enough for the language and culture, no matter how many learners of Russian, podcasts, subtitled videos and high-quality learning materials are out there.
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:25 pm

Polish is the other Slavic language that particularly attracts me and I even bought a book for it that has gone unused thus far. The resources available for it don’t seem too bad, though certainly far less than for Russian.
1 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 pm

tastyonions wrote:Polish is the other Slavic language that particularly attracts me and I even bought a book for it that has gone unused thus far. The resources available for it don’t seem too bad, though certainly far less than for Russian.

Oh, there's more than enough good stuff for outsiders to learn or improve their Polish. After a certain point, the marginal benefit of yet another course, dictionary, podcast or subtitled video in Polish, never mind for Russian, isn't all that large.

For me, it's a little bit like being slightly disappointed, if not discouraged, that Portuguese doesn't have as many resources as Spanish. There's enough to go around.

Even for a "small" language like Slovak, the situation with learning material is a lot better than it was 10 years ago. It'd be nice if there were a bigger selection of high-quality courses and reference material comparable to the stuff churned out for FIGS or even something like a video-based course along the lines of Destinos or Via del Corso for Spanish and Italian respectively. Yet that sounds a bit like the complaint of a learner from the First World. There's enough material available to get going to build a good base of knowledge so that it still remains true that to improve markedly and maintain a high level of fluency, you'd need to make Slovak friends, fall in love with a Slovak, consume Slovak media regularly and/or move to Slovakia, just as it's always been.
3 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:04 am

Irena wrote:I very much agree with this post, except for the part I highlighted in bold. In fact, in terms of vocabulary acquisition, Czech is probably the hardest Slavic language for a Westerner to learn. Why? Because back in the 19th century, Czech revivalists deliberately purged the language of Western loanwords and replaced them with words of Slavic origin. That's how you get words such as dějepis and zeměpis for history and geography, respectively, whereas other Slavic languages (well, most of them, certainly including Russian) would use obvious loanwords. Now, it's true that Czech does in fact have the words historie and geografie, which you're welcome to use, but if you're learning Czech, you'd better know dějepis and zeměpis as well, since they are the ones that native speakers are more likely to use.

These are very minor points. By the time you get to discussing geography, you'll have to cover a lot of ground.

BTW. Croatian and Slovene used Czech as the template how a standard language has to be developed, so Slovene has zemljepis and zgodovina, while Croatian has zemljopis and povijest for geography and history. Both also took vlak for "train" for Czech, along a ton of other words. Serbian, despite being basically the same language as Croatian, didn't take these words.

Also, Czech and Croatian (and Serbian) took a ton of words from Russian. Slovene took less.

However, Slovenes removed a lot of international words with the words they coined, and that, along the free stress and dual number (along singular and plural) in nouns, adjectives, verbs and pronouns likely makes Slovene the hardest major Slavic language for an average foreigner.
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:11 am

Daniel N. wrote:
Irena wrote:I very much agree with this post, except for the part I highlighted in bold. In fact, in terms of vocabulary acquisition, Czech is probably the hardest Slavic language for a Westerner to learn. Why? Because back in the 19th century, Czech revivalists deliberately purged the language of Western loanwords and replaced them with words of Slavic origin. That's how you get words such as dějepis and zeměpis for history and geography, respectively, whereas other Slavic languages (well, most of them, certainly including Russian) would use obvious loanwords. Now, it's true that Czech does in fact have the words historie and geografie, which you're welcome to use, but if you're learning Czech, you'd better know dějepis and zeměpis as well, since they are the ones that native speakers are more likely to use.

These are very minor points. By the time you get to discussing geography, you'll have to cover a lot of ground.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You might want to say that you did or did not like geography in school, or that you know or don't know where some city is because you're good/bad at geography. This is the sort of thing you might discuss very early on in your language studies. And anyway, the word for geography is just one example. Take the Czech word hudba for music. Most other Slavic languages would use a cognate of music, e.g. muzika in Serbian. But of course Croatian has glazba. Croatian is much like Czech in this regard.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”