IELTS academic & IELTS general training

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

IELTS academic & IELTS general training

Postby jimmy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:03 am

Hi,

can someone explain whether general training ielts is easier?
Dubai (KHDA) responded my e-mail and states : both version would be acceptable as long as 6.0 is achieved.
I took 5.5 (L) ,5.0 (R) ,5.0 (W) and 6.0 (S) from academic (5.5 overall)
two comments: 1) in exam I think I complained two things: a) at reading I was feeling myself almost overwhelmed.too long texts and limited time (the time was a bit insufficient)
b) at writing Almost the same. I had been too anxious and maybe I described or given irrelevant points.

and would like to ask your ideas & advice (if available)

I am 33 years old have a permanent job here in Turkey and intend to leave here or willing to do so.

Kind Regards
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Re: IELTS academic & IELTS general training

Postby Irena » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:23 am

I've never taken IELTS (maybe others can comment), but given that reading and writing are the main problem, I'd recommend just doing massive amounts of reading for now. 6.0 is not that high of a score, and so you probably don't need to worry too much about what kind of stuff you're reading, as long as you're reading lots of it (maybe 2000 pages for now, and then take it from there). If you like science fiction, then read science fiction. If you like self-help books, then read self-help books. You get the idea. At some point, you'll need to do some writing practice, but as you read more, you'll pick up vocabulary and solidify your grammar, and so to some extent, writing will improve by itself. Still, you'll need to put in at least some practice.
2 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:47 am

hi @irena and other members'. Thank you for your comment irena.

I forgot to say, by my personal point ofview, I think the exam maybe not in the form of showing mt exact level, because it seems my english is better.

at least ,I can provide these contexts: I already wrote some confirmed texts, for instance , I wrote a patent article. this can be viewed over wipo's database because it is published material.

I think I already read something and can communicate, maybe this communication is also well.
all in all the results are as given.
0 x

Irena
Green Belt
Languages: Serbian (N), English (C2), French (C1), Russian (C1), Czech (C1), dabbled in a couple of others, dreaming of many others

Postby Irena » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:14 am

For writing, it's possible that you are having problems with the IELTS format. Although your comment here seems B2-ish to me (not that I'm any sort of expert on these things), which is consistent with 5.0. For reading, though? To get a good score, you should be able to read long texts fairly quickly and with a good level of comprehension. The way you get to that point is simply by reading a lot. You don't just want to read short articles on the Internet. Try reading full length books.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:05 pm

hi,

I need to make a selection between gt and academic .
I can say that there will be no difference between these two exams, because the authority will accept both of those exams' results as long as the required score is met.

my key sentences are these: I had felt myself too much overwhelmed in reading section. this was the most difficult part to me because of time limitation. but I hope I will be able to write well (i.e. polish) at writing section.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”