Immersion

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Charles1990
Languages: Italian

Immersion

Postby Charles1990 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:41 am

Could a young person with nothing to do and without moving from home go from IELTS 3.8 to IELTS 6.8 in 100 days by reading English books, speaking English, doing exercises, listening to increasingly complex audios in English for ten hours a day?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Immersion

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:18 am

Charles1990 wrote:Could a young person with nothing to do and without moving from home go from IELTS 3.8 to IELTS 6.8 in 100 days by reading English books, speaking English, doing exercises, listening to increasingly complex audios in English for ten hours a day?
Most people here tend to use the CEFR scale, so I had to do a quick conversion.

So this is a high B2/C1 level from A2. You've listed your language as Italian, and I'm assuming this question is about you, not a friend, so I would say yes (and no).

You listed the activities as: Reading, Studying and Listening for 10 hours a day. Which means you'll improve in Reading and Listening. But you will not improve in Speaking or Writing. Although, the writing might be taken care of by the study of exercises. You're saying 1000 hours of work, but I think you also need to include exercises such as shadowing (when you speak at the same time as a recorded native speaker) and conversation practice with a native speaker to assist with pronunciation. You might also want to do a lot of written exercises, since I get the impression you are planning to take an examination, and that would include a written portion.

But the short answer is: Yes, I think it can be done in 1000 hours.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Picaboo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native). Korean (upper intermediate). French (early intermediate), Japanese (early beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19516

Postby Picaboo » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:04 pm

I believe the biggest problem would be staying focused and motivated for 10 hours per day. It is a monumental task. I'd suggest reading a book such as Atomic Habits in italiano and treat the mental aspect of such a challenge seriously. Perhaps devoting 20 minutes of your time to planning and mental maintenance.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:06 pm

I might be better to just find something to do. That way you might not die prematurely or go stark staring mad. If I had an extra 10 hours I'd be in bed.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”