Need to purchase my first spanish keyboard for my PC

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Paul_Moechner2022
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Re: Need to purchase my first spanish keyboard for my PC

Postby Paul_Moechner2022 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:59 am

Paul_Moechner2022 wrote:Ok, I just finished learning how to go to settings in my Windows 10 OS and I installed the "Spanish (Mexico) Latin American Keyboard" and I'm able to create letters with the correct punctuations.

Anybody know where I can find the layout of this new setting? so far I discovered that if I hit the ";" key in the spanish mode it creates "ñ" but I discovered that on accident haha.

again, thanks for telling me about this!

nevermind, after messing around on google I found the exact layout that I now have. here is what my layout is in spanish mode: https://ibb.co/gJLgRFY

¡Muchas gracias! ¡Ahora puedo escribir en español! :D
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:17 am

Paul_Moechner2022 wrote:Anybody know where I can find the layout of this new setting?

Does this help?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Q ... rican_sort
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:58 am

You probably would want to set your language to Spanish, but the keyboard layout as US English (or whatever it is). This will activate the dead keys. you will be able to type ñ by touching ~ then n, é will be ' then e.

But unfortunately I cannot provide specific instructions to your OS.
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Paul_Moechner2022 wrote:Anybody know where I can find the layout of this new setting? so far I discovered that if I hit the ";" key in the spanish mode it creates "ñ" but I discovered that on accident haha.

Windows comes with a built-in on-screen keyboard tool. To display it, simultaneously press the WIN and R keys or right-click the Start menu and select Run. Then enter osk and hit the Enter key.

Theoretically, you should have the the following layout:
(Taken from List of QWERTY keyboard language variants.)
2 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:30 pm

iguanamon wrote:I use the free windows "US International" keyboard which is easy to use. I've used it for years. It is simple to switch back and forth between English and Spanish on your pc. Even though it isn't Spanish specific, the single "quote ' " key makes it easy to type accents áéíóú by typing the quote mark and then the letter; or by alt + letter. The tilde can be typed by alt + n = ñ; alt + 1 =¡; alt + ? = ¿; alt + y = ü. It looks more complicated than it is but it will quickly become second nature to you the more you use it. As they say in England- "Easy peasy lemon squeezey".

Highly recommend US-International, especially if you learn other European (or Latin alphabet-using) languages in the future.
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Nicola
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2) Danish (intermediate)

Postby Nicola » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:12 am

Doitsujin wrote:
Paul_Moechner2022 wrote:Anybody know where I can find the layout of this new setting? so far I discovered that if I hit the ";" key in the spanish mode it creates "ñ" but I discovered that on accident haha.

Windows comes with a built-in on-screen keyboard tool. To display it, simultaneously press the WIN and R keys or right-click the Start menu and select Run. Then enter osk and hit the Enter key.

Theoretically, you should have the the following layout:
(Taken from List of QWERTY keyboard language variants.)

Thanks for this information. I often switch my keyboard to Danish or English, but then have to switch back to German when typing special characters as I don't know where they are on the keyboard. Now the problem is solved.
1 x

Huuren van Fietsen
Languages: Slovak (N), English (C), Dutch (A)

Postby Huuren van Fietsen » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:59 am

You can buy stickers for your existing keyboard with the Spanish layout for around 1 buck. You will be able to see both layouts at the same time. No need to buy new hardware. You can also buy a "bilingual" keyboard, that comes like that from the factory
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”