Moved to Mexico and started learning Spanish. Need advice.

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Re: Moved to Mexico and started learning Spanish. Need advice.

Postby ShawnP » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:12 pm

I've just read through a bunch of posts and can second a few that stuck out to me, as someone who is a spanish learner.

1. Butterfly Spanish-Ana is awesome
2. Easy Spanish-If you are watching on youtube and go to the Easy Spanish channel, filter by "Playlist." Although it is called Easy Spanish, not all videos are very easy. There is a playlist called Super Easy Spanish which is where I recommend you start.
3. A guy that was on Easy Spanish started his own little channel which I also like, called Spanish Around.
4. Lots of free videos at: The Spanish Proficiency Exercises from UT Austin. Highly recommended
5. If you are into podcasts, you can find a ton of free ones such as SpanishPod 101 or LightSpeed Spanish.

There are tons of places to find free content so don't feel you need to go out and buy a bunch of programs like Assimil, Pimsleur, Rocket Spanish, Michel Thomas, etc. This was one of my mistakes.
3 x
GERMAN GOALS

: 21 / 100 Assimil German
: 03 / 100 100 Hours Visual - YouTube videos/TV

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:50 pm

Paul_Moechner2022 wrote:When folks notice my spanish vocabulary growing they get excited and cheer me on as my vocabulary grows. Since this is the first time I ever lived outside of my native country, I was worried I might annoy locals with my presence as an outsider but Mexicans don't seem to care that I'm a foreigner and are super nice to me!

Last advice from me... Don't stop learning and improving your spanish, and trying to integrate yourself in the society where you live...

Enjoying the local holidays is a good way to start, and if you know some locals, they would also love to show you their local traditions.

Carnaval, which is big in México, and is coming next february, could be a good place to start.
3 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:05 pm

Going back to the "Que lo pase bien" y "Que la pase bien" issue...

I think than "Pásalo bien" or "Pásala bien" is a more common form for that expression in Spain.

Caribbeans also use the form "Pásala bonito".
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”