Close listening to this Spanish video

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Close listening to this Spanish video

Postby Axon » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:12 am

I'm doing some intensive listening to this Easy Spanish street interview in Mexico City, and I noticed a couple of things that stood out to me. If I may be so bold as to request some guidance from the learned members of this forum...

(4:55) Y, si descargas la versión en español, podrás también tener acceso a alemán y francés.
It sounds like she stresses si (or pauses after it), éspañol, and fránces. Do these words or her intonation sound off to anyone else? Also, is she really saying "tener acceso"? That /r/ is lenited in a way that seems strange to me too.

(6:15) Yo que estoy viéndome.
What does this mean? I don't understand it in Spanish or in the translation. Is it kind of like "Oh, I can see how others think I might be weird because of this"?

(6:22) Tú estás muy preparada para el sol.
It sounds like she connects the first two words as "Tuéstas."

(6:51) Sí, que no todo el mundo carga con comida.
It sounds like there's an extra syllable between "carga" and "con."

Writing these down, sometimes I think I can hear what I think the "correct" words should be, but I'm on the fence. What do you hear?
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Close listening to this Spanish video

Postby Kraut » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:02 am

(4:55) Y, si descargas la versión en español, podrás también tener acceso a alemán y francés.
It sounds like she stresses si (or pauses after it), éspañol, and fránces. Do these words or her intonation sound off to anyone else?

This is the passage of an ad where she doesn't talk "normally". In "tener acceso.a.aléman.y" also in "en.español" she pronounces glottal stops. In the clip she says that she has been to Berlin, so she must know about "glottal stops" in German. She uses them here in the ad to stress what she is plugging for.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 17&t=18487
How to pronounce "Esto te va a ayudar"
1 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:08 pm

Axon wrote:(6:15) Yo que estoy viéndome.
What does this mean? I don't understand it in Spanish or in the translation. Is it kind of like "Oh, I can see how others think I might be weird because of this"?

I can relate to that. / I have the same problem. 'As if I was looking at myself.' (I hold the pen too firmly, so I have bruises.)
But I'm not a native speaker, I might misunderstand it.
Last edited by BeaP on Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:12 pm

Axon wrote:(4:55) Y, si descargas la versión en español, podrás también tener acceso a alemán y francés.
It sounds like she stresses si (or pauses after it), éspañol, and fránces. Do these words or her intonation sound off to anyone else? Also, is she really saying "tener acceso"? That /r/ is lenited in a way that seems strange to me too.

She's generally talking so slowly and clearly that it's making her do unusual things... All those glottal stops all over the place aren't normal.

As for that si, I think she just lengthens it while either thinking what she's going to say or in anticipation to make sound what she's about to say more exciting. It's not so much that it's stressed but lengthened to [siː ].

She does say "tener acceso", but tener is pronounced so fast it's rather something like [tenəɾ̞ ] with both vowels very unstressed. I agree the r is quite lenited but I've found in recordings of myself before that I do the same thing with my [ɾ], so I'm not one to criticize. :P

(6:15) Yo que estoy viéndome.

The Youtuber transcribed it wrong / misheard it. The interviewed woman actually says "Y yo exhibiéndome", 'And here I am exhibiting myself', making fun of how much she's showing her hand.

(6:22) Tú estás muy preparada para el sol.
It sounds like she connects the first two words as "Tuéstas."

Yes. The tú is very unstressed, and then it undergoes the usual "synaloepha". Subject pronouns aren't always stressed or used in contrast, unlike what the stereotype says.

(6:51) Sí, que no todo el mundo carga con comida.
It sounds like there's an extra syllable between "carga" and "con."

Yeah, I think the interviewer actually says "con la comida" (with a very unstressed la, I'd say it's [lə]) but forgot to transcribe it.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”