French procedural writing question

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MrCoffee
Languages: English (fluent), French

French procedural writing question

Postby MrCoffee » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:40 pm

When writing out the steps in procedures, I've seen it done a few different ways. Ignoring instructions using the vous à l'impératif structure with "ez," I've noticed that sometimes the command is left in the infinitive form and other times it isn't. An example:

Verser une tasse d'eau...
Verse une tasse d'eau...

Mélanger l'eau...
Mélange l'eau...

I know that the first sentence in each example is what you would use if you were to begin with "tu dois," but when would you use the second example? If my sentence were simply, "Premièrement, ...." would I write "verse" or "verser"? "Mets" or "mettre"?

Thanks!
0 x

FRAnglais1919
White Belt
Languages: French
English (N)

Re: French procedural writing question

Postby FRAnglais1919 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:37 am

It depends on your intended audience.

For public announcements and instructions directed to the unidentified masses, use the infinitive (examples: advertisements, campaigns, food recipes, owner's manual, etc.) If you're writing someone in particular, like a letter to a friend, your professor, or a group of identified persons, use the imperative of the verb, so "versez" or "verse". Hope this helps!
1 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Re: French procedural writing question

Postby anitarrc » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:42 am

We translate mainly technical manuals.
Here, we use the infinitive most of the time, unless it gets complicated and it is a two person job, like changing a heavy part such as a truck axle or part of a crane.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”