Words with more than one definition.

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Words with more than one definition.

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:19 pm

How exactly do we go about it?
I tend to note down words I don't understand (especially if they impend me from understanding an entire sentence or are element to the given text). Then I would consult a dictionary and make an anki card.
However. If the word has more than one definition would it easier to make one card for each usage rather than one card with several definitions? Or would a completely different approach be more useful?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Words with more than one definition.

Postby luke » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:04 pm

I generally start with the most relevant definition.

I like what Iversen once said about vocabulary and wordlists, which was that you're really just trying to get a foothold on the word, as opposed to all the possible nuances.

Having said that, when a word has multiple definitions and the definition I answer with isn't the one on the card, I go to wordreference and see if I'm using another meaning. If it is, I add this additional definition to the card and count my attempt as "correct".
4 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:10 pm

luke wrote:I generally start with the most relevant definition.

I like what Iversen once said about vocabulary and wordlists, which was that you're really just trying to get a foothold on the word, as opposed to all the possible nuances.

This is so helpful, and has shaped my approach too.

I've tried various approaches, and generally find that, for me at least, one Anki card is best. Any other approach leads to confusion, via difficult or ambiguous cards.

Generally I put several glosses on one card, perhaps bolding one which I will treat as key.

This doesn't teach you the other meanings as well as the primary one chosen, but you retain at least a subliminal awareness of them.

This works in the long run: the key with Anki is getting a basic meaning into your head. Then, when you read/listen to them later, not only does it give you a rapid gloss for understanding, but also a peg to remember richer meanings for a word. It's easier to remember a word has another meaning on top of what you know, than it is to remember two to start with. Input sorts the rest out.

Will be interested to hear what others find is best!
luke wrote:Having said that, when a word has multiple definitions and the definition I answer with isn't the one on the card, I go to wordreference and see if I'm using another meaning. If it is, I add this additional definition to the card and count my attempt as "correct".

Good advice. Don't fret about getting exactly what's on the card, if you are right in general that's enough.

---edited for spelling error---
Last edited by Beli Tsar on Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Postby Odair » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:51 am

I would try to associate the worth with just one sense, the one that is most basic and concrete. The other senses should be understandable from context most of the time.
4 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:07 am

Luke and Beli
I really like both of your replies. It really sums up the keeping anki as your hand-holder on the journey and not letting it become the journey.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:10 am

I follow the other replies in having one core definition on a card. I used a couple of pre-made Spanish decks and there were several cards that ended up confusing me because the same word was turning up with different meanings, and sometimes quite unrelated.
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:50 am

It's correct that I prefer learning just one central core meaning at my first encounter with a new word - adding all the nuances at that point just confuses the mind. And I have the rule that it isn't worth trying to remember a phrase unless you already know all words in it - otherwise you are just trying to learn an extremely long 'word'.

But no rule without exceptions. When you say that a word has more than one meaning they are mostly centered around one core meaning, and then you can learn the 'satellites' later. Or you can learn a peripheral meaning first and then investigate the roots of that meaning later. An example: "run" is primarily a verb, but you meet encounter it as a substantive first. Or take "joint", which can be an adjective or substantive meaning something that 'hangs together' - but secondary meanings have popped up (marihuana cigarette, gaol cell).

But there are true homonyms (or near-homonymes) out there which are the result of the casual encounter of two separate words, and in that case I might want to memorize that fact from the beginning. A more thorough examination may show that they actually were connected semantically long ago, but more often they are the result of sound changes that have obliterated old differences.
6 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:37 pm

That is why i'd rather remember things in their context, memorize what is does or represents, than translation pairs. For example, in my job arbre corresponds to
Pièce de révolution utilisée pour transmettre un mouvement de rotation.

but there are 7 others here:

https://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/f ... arbre/4974

I could go on for ages. Try to describe the !whatsit2 in your target language rather than use pairs.

Also refer to the fitting dictionary, such as Larousse.fr, Priberam.pt , rae.es etc etc. instead of a deck. Then you get an overview from the horse's mouth.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:56 pm

I think about what vocabulary I want to learn and pick my books based on that. Then when I read and/to learn the vocabulary, I memorise only the definition used in the book. Because the book was picked based on my needs, so definitions outside of the book would theoretically be outside of my needs.

But when on a dictionary page, I read all the definitions.
7 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:12 am

Thank you for all of your insightful replies!
I think my current approach will be to learn the root definition and allow my exposure to the language to pile on top of that. It makes the whole process a lot easier!
In addition to that I found occlusion cards to be very useful for learning tables (i.e. passato remoto). Fewer clicks to create the cards, more time for learning!
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”