Persian help needed: the word کرد

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Khayyam
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (strong receptive, weak active), Persian (novice), American sign language (novice)

Persian help needed: the word کرد

Postby Khayyam » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am

I just started learning Persian, and I'm attempting to understand the word کرد. Is this essentially an all-purpose replacement for any verb that means "to do something to"? I کرد the windows clean, I کرد the ball, I کرد marriage?
0 x
Das Leben ist ein langer, roter Fluss
Die Klinge ist mein Segelboot

Odair
Yellow Belt
Languages: en (C1), fr (B2), es (C1), it (B1), pt_br(N)

Re: Persian help needed: the word کرد

Postby Odair » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:19 am

2 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Re: Persian help needed: the word کرد

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am

The links above are helpful. It's the 3rd singular present indicative of the verb 'كَردَن', 'to do' (i.e it means 'he does/she does/it does'; and it is used in a lot of compound verbs. That means it's not quite the all-purpose replacement, but it's common enough that it might seem that way initially.

It's definitely worth learning how to conjugate it in the most common tenses early.

You can see all its conjugations here https://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php ... 8%AF%D9%86. But any decent textbook or online course will introduce you to it pretty early.
2 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”