How to study from Hueber's So gelingt's! ?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Biofacticity
Languages: Macedonian (N), English (B2), German (beginner)

How to study from Hueber's So gelingt's! ?

Postby Biofacticity » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 pm

I got the book together with the audio, but after the first dialogue I am immediately thrown into exercises with heavy grammar without any explanation of how am I supposed to know the answers. Just by logic alone (and previous attempts to study with other materials) I was able to answer most of them, but how is one supposed to find the correct answers if he never studied the language before.
0 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Re: How to study from Hueber's So gelingt's! ?

Postby BeaP » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:10 am

Here's a link to a sample from the book for those who would like to comment:
https://shop.hueber.de/media/livebook/9783190294763/index.html

It has a strange format, indeed. It's clearly aimed at Arabic immigrants who already speak English (know the writing system fairly well). I don't know anything about the learning habits of this (probably very heterogeneous) group, but I'd say it's for those false beginners who don't have time or don't want to spend time learning from a book. It's basically an overview of the most important things with some exercises. The focus is on communication. Maybe the writers hope that immersion and daily interaction will do the bulk of the job. The grammar explications are at the end of the book, probably to make things as concise as possible. There might be a type pf learner who could profit from this book, but if you don't like it, there are thousands of others to choose from. If you want to stick to it, you can search for more information, videos and exercises about the topics it covers. It clearly tells you what you should learn up to B1, which is probably the exam level required for citizenship.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”