Course after Assimil with Ease Spanish

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Course after Assimil with Ease Spanish

Postby CardiffGiant » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:38 pm

So I did a search in the Spanish study materials section, and I can't seem to find what I am looking for, although it might not exist. I really like the format of Assimil, specifically lessons that are based off of an audio dialogue with a transcript and then using that dialogue to highlight essential grammar points, vocab, structure etc. The trouble is that I am almost done with the with Ease course and as far as I can tell, Assimil does not have a course that would follow the with Ease course. I did look at FSI, but that does not really fit the bill for me. Anyway, I thought that I would ask if anyone knows if a course like this exists, which would correspond to a high level beginner or low level intermediate level? Thanks!
0 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: Course after Assimil with Ease Spanish

Postby einzelne » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 pm

There's a 1996 follow-up course — Using Spanish. You can find older versions of Assimil on the Internet — Spanish without Toil. It would give you more vocabulary and practice.

If you happen to know French, there also was a book on business Spanish back in 1990s — L'Espagnol des Affaires.
Last edited by einzelne on Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:46 pm

Other than the older Assimil courses, are there any other courses that follow the same Assimil-type format for the high beginner level?
1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 pm

There's the Cortina Spanish course, which has audio and dialogs and teaching language.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm

CardiffGiant wrote:Other than the older Assimil courses, are there any other courses that follow the same Assimil-type format for the high beginner level?

Linguaphone.
1 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Postby ShawnP » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:50 am

Before jumping into another course, perhaps find some easy spanish learning podcasts such as Coffee Break Spanish on Itunes or search for native material and see how you like it. You can find a lot of good, short videos of native speakers at spanishlearning.org or https://laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html. I actually made my own Assimil-like content using the audio I downloaded and the script they provided. ALL FREE.

I've attached one that I made from laits.utexas.edu. Put it on my ipad and the mp3's I downloaded with it on my Ipod, and good to go. Feel free to use it if you want, just have to go get the audio for each conversation. Or not. Good luck either way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
GERMAN GOALS

: 21 / 100 Assimil German
: 03 / 100 100 Hours Visual - YouTube videos/TV

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:19 pm

The Hugo Advanced series are very similar in format to Assimil courses, from what I remember. Each chapter is built around a single text.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

desafiar
White Belt
Languages: English native, studying Spanish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18131

Postby desafiar » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:08 pm

ShawnP wrote:Before jumping into another course, perhaps find some easy spanish learning podcasts such as Coffee Break Spanish on Itunes or search for native material and see how you like it. You can find a lot of good, short videos of native speakers at spanishlearning.org or https://laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html. I actually made my own Assimil-like content using the audio I downloaded and the script they provided. ALL FREE.

I've attached one that I made from laits.utexas.edu. Put it on my ipad and the mp3's I downloaded with it on my Ipod, and good to go. Feel free to use it if you want, just have to go get the audio for each conversation. Or not. Good luck either way.

I was unable to find the script you are referring to at laits.utexas.edu. Do you have a link to it?
0 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Postby ShawnP » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:55 pm

If you followed the link I provided earlier, at the top you will see Beginner, Intermediate-A, Intermediate-B, etc, etc. You'll just have to snoop around. All the scripts, videos of them actually speaking, and all the downloadable audio is there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
GERMAN GOALS

: 21 / 100 Assimil German
: 03 / 100 100 Hours Visual - YouTube videos/TV

weissnichtgenau
White Belt
Languages: German (mother tongue), English C2, Turkish C1, French C1, Spanish C1, Russian A2, Brazilian Portuguese A1, Albanian (new), Azerbaijani (new), Thai (new)

Postby weissnichtgenau » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:01 am

I'm very surprised that there's no Assimil advanced course for Spanish in English anymore. There's one in French, German and Italian (Perfectionnement Espagnol, Spanisch in der Praxis, Perfezionamento dello Spagnolo), oh, and I've just seen there's one with Dutch but if you don't speak any of these languages, it won't be of any use, sadly.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”