Need advice for the passionate language learner

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
languagelena
Languages: Russian (native), Ukrainian (almost native), English (B2), Arabic (A2), Polish (A1) ...

Need advice for the passionate language learner

Postby languagelena » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:40 am

Hello. I'm Lena and I'm new to this forum (but not new to language learning in general). I love learning languages and I'm trying to do it every day. Lack of planning (realistic), lack of free time and energy made me looking for some advice from the experienced users and learners here.
Goal: I really want to be called a polyglot, so my long-term goal is 8 languages (conversational level, == B2). Let's say it's just a question of my self-esteem, it's not connected with my work (maternity leave right now, and in one year or so I'm going to return to teaching Russian).

Some obstacles:
1. Time - right now I can spend only 1 hour of active learning (it means I can sit with a textbook, or write something, or make a vocabulary list), but I can listen to podcasts easily (appr. 3 hours a day) but of course it's not deep learning.
2. Consistency - I easily get bored with one resource, so I'm distracted by new textbooks, videos, podcasts, etc. and NEW languages. Oh, How much I love the feeling when you start a new language. I love all the languages. Let's say it's my biggest problem.

Questions:
1. Should I try to learn some languages at the same time? How to do it more effectively? One language = one day? 10 min of each but every day? Should I use different methods for learning (reading in Spanish, listening in Arabic and so on)?
2. Should I continue with listening podcasts? Or it's just a waste of time if you're not completely immersed?
3. How to avoid getting bored and starting new languages?

Languages:
1. Russian
2. Ukrainian
3. English (upper)
4. Arabic (B1)
5. Polish (A2, easily read and understand, but not speak)
6. Spanish (A2)
7. and 8. not decided yet
And some years ago I took part in some challenges similar to Speak in a week where I spoke (only monologue) Icelandic, Albanian and Chinese after a week of learning.
Also I've tried to learn Swahili, Tajiki, Turkish, Hebrew, Yoruba, Farsi, Udmurt, Abkhaz and so on.

Sorry for such a long message. Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome :)
10 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Need advice for the passionate language learner

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:43 am

I'm no expert, but most of the advice given out around here is:

Stick to learning only one language, unless you have a lot of time, then you can try two as long as they are distant from each other. E.g. French and Mandarin.

1. Should I try to learn some languages at the same time? How to do it more effectively? One language = one day? 10 min of each but every day? Should I use different methods for learning (reading in Spanish, listening in Arabic and so on)?

If you're going to learn multiple languages, probably best to only do two at a time. Although there are people here who have done like 13 at the same time, (Expugunator although he hasn't been around for awhile)

2. Should I continue with listening podcasts? Or it's just a waste of time if you're not completely immersed?

Every little helps.

Willpower. Don't start new languages. Set up a strict timetable, like French and Mandarin for 1 year, no deviation allowed, unless I pass the B2 examination earlier.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, I'm not very good at learning languages so take this with a grain of salt.
10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:26 pm

Its better to have more concrete goals than "I want to speak X number of languages", think more of what you plan to use the language for, and how many hours it will take you to get there, how much you'll enjoy the study materials you'll need to use. Learning a distant language to enjoy books and media for example could be thousands of hours, which for many people will be all their free time for years, and then presumably they want to use the language and not drop it after so long, so they may have thousands of hours of things they want to do with it to make the effort put in worth it. Focus on things you can achieve in the near future, big long term goals aren't achieved by trying to tackle them all at once, but by consistently achieving shorter term goals.

For more closely related languages you don't have to worry so much about time investment because its easy to do fun activities fairly early in them, but time studying/using these languages is time away from studying other languages so you have to prioritize.

For being interested in lots of languages, just be honest with yourself which ones you have realistic plans to commit thousands of hours to, and which you're just curious and maybe can just dabble in. I suggest prioritizing 1 language that you study first everyday, and if you can afford the time allow yourself a small timeslot to dabble in whatever language you're curious about, and usually the novelty of dabbling fades after you've satisfied your curiosity and you can focus on improving languages to the point where you can use them for other activities.

If you're studying and L2 with lots of good language resources, you can also allow yourself to dabble more as long as you can do it using L2 -> L3 resources, that way you don't lose progress on your priority language getting curious about other languages.
8 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:47 pm

Here's how to stop yourself getting distracted by a new language/resource:

Make a habit of saying to yourself (write it on a post-it note and stick it on your computer/phone): 'how much progress am I losing from the languages(s) I'm really studying in the time I'm spending on this idle dabbling?'

Then promptly go back to work.
3 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:49 pm

languagelena wrote:Goal: I really want to be called a polyglot, so my long-term goal is 8 languages (conversational level, == B2). Let's say it's just a question of my self-esteem.

I strongly urge you to redefine your goals. First, this goal is unrealistic. Second, the ability to produce sentences like "my bellybutton is quite itchy" in a bunch of languages won't make you a better person.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:02 pm

However it might enable you to persuade someone to scratch it.
5 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:40 am

Le Baron wrote:However it might enable you to persuade someone to scratch it.

Maybe if she's pregnant?
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:19 am

BELLY BUTTON
  • fr: le nombril
  • ja: へそ (heso)
  • es: el ombligo
  • tr: göbek deliği
  • zh: 肚脐 (dùqí)
  • zu: inkaba
Thanks for the vocabulary level-up, guys! :)
7 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:38 am

languagelena wrote:Hello. I'm Lena and I'm new to this forum (but not new to language learning in general). I love learning languages and I'm trying to do it every day. Lack of planning (realistic), lack of free time and energy made me looking for some advice from the experienced users and learners here.
Goal: I really want to be called a polyglot, so my long-term goal is 8 languages (conversational level, == B2). Let's say it's just a question of my self-esteem, it's not connected with my work (maternity leave right now, and in one year or so I'm going to return to teaching Russian).

Hi Lena! Welcome to the forum!

I might go a little bit against the current in my answers, but I think my experience may prove a few good points.

Your goal is definitely realistic, but it will take a long time. You are already well into the plan. 2 out of your languages are native or near native, English is at a solid level (the goal) too, three are on the way there. Good.

Some obstacles:
1. Time - right now I can spend only 1 hour of active learning (it means I can sit with a textbook, or write something, or make a vocabulary list), but I can listen to podcasts easily (appr. 3 hours a day) but of course it's not deep learning.
2. Consistency - I easily get bored with one resource, so I'm distracted by new textbooks, videos, podcasts, etc. and NEW languages. Oh, How much I love the feeling when you start a new language. I love all the languages. Let's say it's my biggest problem.

Overall, 1 hour of learning every day is not bad at all!!! Plus those three hours can help enormously (oyu can use not just podcasts, but relisten to your coursebook lessons, add a bit of music, listen to the sound from a tv show too, repeat after audio perhaps).

People usually recommend only one foreign language at a time. But there are two aspects to it, I don't think this rule is so universal at all

1.time. With your time constraints, you can surely do two languages at once, it will just be slower.
2.Given your native and near native language, you actually need foreign languages, or might happen to need them at any moment. Even A2 can be a lifesafer, B1 is already a lot of value. I see it almost everyday at work. I really wish my Ukrainian patients all spoke at least real A2 French or English. So, learning two languages makes more sense in your case.

3.I wholeheartedly recommend getting your currently "in the process" languages to at least B2. After B2, maintenance is much much easier.

About the consistency: it is not just about languages, but also resources. I have a huge problem sticking to a resource but I've gotten much better at that recently. Pick a normal solid coursebook as your main resource for each language. And at most one supplement to consistently use alongside this. Not more than three or four resource for all the languages at maximum at a any given time, if you are really having consistency issues.

Focus on smaller goals, such as finishing something, doing X hours of something, etc. It helps a lot.

Questions:

Yes, learning two at once is possible.

I already mentioned that you might actually need them and some of the issues. But there is one more thing to consider: you are not asking for advice at the beginning of your path. You are already well into it. So, is it "less efficient" to conctinue your for example your Arabic and Spanish together, or to focus just on Arabic and lose Spanish, and have to relearn it?

One language-one day is possible. A lot of stuff is possible. Even alterning weeks, but I wouldn't recommend more than that.

There are people, who believe in "a little every day". I don't 10 minutes are near worthless (unless we are talking about tiny maintenance), because you barely start to focus. At the pace of 10 minutes a day, you may need a hundred years to reach your goals, I doubt you have so much time.

About the "different methods for each language": a nice theory. Might work in a limited manner. But do you really always have such an option, especially at the lower levels? I'd recommend not overthinking it. As long as you progress in your main resources, put some hours every week into the one or two languages actively learnt, you should be doing fine.

You just need to always match your actions and your expectations. That's where most failures and disappointments lie. Most people disappointed and "failing" are just experiencing a huge mismatch between the real results (which depend on what they've been doing) and their expected results and progress.

Languages:
1. Russian
2. Ukrainian
3. English (upper)
4. Arabic (B1)
6. Spanish (A2)
And some years ago I took part in some challenges similar to Speak in a week where I spoke (only monologue) Icelandic, Albanian and Chinese after a week of learning.
Also I've tried to learn Swahili, Tajiki, Turkish, Hebrew, Yoruba, Farsi, Udmurt, Abkhaz and so on.

Sorry for such a long message. Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome :)

This is not a long message at all, and it is very pertinent. Also, it is great to see new members introduce themselves!

Your list of languages is definitely good. The fact you've played with others is nice, as long as you have the right expectations matching your efforts. It never hurts to widen one's horizons, even if it is only to learn you actually don't like/need Abkhaz or Hebrew enough.

Were I in your place, I wouldn't decide about 7 and 8 now at all. You will find out at the right moment. I suppose your Polish is mainly the normal comprehension of a related language, or have you studied it up to A2? If it is the first option, it is not really a problem. Whether you continue Polish now or later, it changes nothing.

Arabic will take a lot of time and you are awesome! B1 Arabic! Wow. Have a look at Maiwenn's log, she is one of our successful and advanced Arabic learners, you might find some inspiration there.

As a second actively learnt language right now (if you choose to do two), Spanish looks like an obvious choice. It can be gotten to B2 rather easily (compared to Arabic :-D), but will still require time. A catch: most people underestimate intermediate Spanish. Spanish gives you a lot of value and tools right away, it looks hyperaccessible at first. But learning enough to be a good speaker, that's a whole different story. A quest 99% learners fail.

In any case, whatever you do, I recommend not spreading yourself too thin, and good luck! And if you start a log, I'll surely be one of your excited readers, cheering for you!
5 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:54 am

languagelena wrote:
Languages:
1. Russian
2. Ukrainian
3. English (upper)
4. Arabic (B1)
6. Spanish (A2)

Welcome Lena

If you are already bilingual Russian/Ukrainian like my new colleague Masha and you want to improve your Polish, it will be very fast. Be aware of false friends, especially in technical translations.

My suggestion would be
¡ concentrate on Spanish !

Why... where are 1000s of exiled Ukranians right now who want to translate or do secretary work in Ru / UA - English or German.

Nobody does Spanish apart from a few like me who are not very good at Russian (yet) . So I need Masha to help me occasionally before I translate to Spanish.
But yes, there is demand for the combination Spanish <-> Russian etc. Go for it. Do English leisurely or later.
Last edited by anitarrc on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”