Need advice for the passionate language learner

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Need advice for the passionate language learner

Postby Iversen » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:34 am

It seems that languagelena has a penchant for working on a lot of languages simultaneously, and the problem is to keep that tendency under control. The simple solution would be to study a few languages assiduously while reserving a bit of time to play with the rest (without expecting to learn them here and now). English is hard to avoid, but as a native/near native speaker of Russian and Ukrainian she can probably learn other Slavic languages in a short time, and then Spanish would be a sensible third choice. Arabic ... wow! but it will take a lot of time away from other projects.

For beginners it's sensible to focus on one language and learn it properly, but my guess is that languagelena is beyond the point where she could live with such a brutal restriction.
6 x

languagelena
Languages: Russian (native), Ukrainian (almost native), English (B2), Arabic (A2), Polish (A1) ...

Postby languagelena » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:29 am

Iversen wrote:It seems that languagelena has a penchant for working on a lot of languages simultaneously, and the problem is to keep that tendency under control. The simple solution would be to study a few languages assiduously while reserving a bit of time to play with the rest (without expecting to learn them here and now). English is hard to avoid, but as a native/near native speaker of Russian and Ukrainian she can probably learn other Slavic languages in a short time, and then Spanish would be a sensible third choice. Arabic ... wow! but it will take a lot of time away from other projects.

For beginners it's sensible to focus on one language and learn it properly, but my guess is that languagelena is beyond the point where she could live with such a brutal restriction.

You're totally and absolutely right about me. I don't want to have such a restriction.
And I really like your advice about playing with other languages, maybe I could do challenges like speak in a week from time to time just to try some rare languages.
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:26 pm

Le Baron wrote:However it might enable you to persuade someone to scratch it.

If I had coffee in my mouth right now, I would have spit it out!
1 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:12 pm

As for the bellybutton line, all credit to Elan Gold: https://youtu.be/Cm9m1PLrcSs
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”