Efficient way to start speaking with accuracy

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cantab
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
French (Professional)
Russian (Intermediate)

Efficient way to start speaking with accuracy

Postby Cantab » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:42 pm

Hello! I'm no language expert but I have a method that continues to work very well for me when it comes to the early speaking stage. Probably you all have better and more developed methods, but nonetheless I thought it was worth sharing here in case it's useful to someone. NB I would recommend going though a fairly extensive passive phase where you pick up a feel for the overall language and grammar before trying this.

The method is based on building 'language islands' (see Boris Shekhtman).

Steps are this:
1. Select a (preferably happy) event like a holiday for your first island.
2. Split each day of the holiday into mini islands: e.g. day 1 = woke up, got ready, went to airport, at the airport, on the plane, landed, to the hotel, at the hotel, unpacked, went to beach etc etc etc.
3. Start writing each mini island out in your native tongue in extreme detail using very simple sentences: e.g. I woke up; I got up; I turned on the light; the light hurt my eyes; I put my slippers on; I went into the bathroom; I stepped into the shower; I turned on the shower; the shower was nice and warm; the shower was wet etc etc ect. (extreme detail + simple sentences!)
4. Input your detailed description into DeepL.
5. Get (pay) native to check accuracy of the translation and record the description.
6. Input sentences into Anki NL > TL and learn them.
7. Talk to yourself and a tutor- describe your holiday in painful detail (speak spontaneously and improvise, do not try and regurgitate the entire story line by line). If by yourself, note what you don't know how to say in your NL and repeat steps 4 onward, if with a tutor, ask them to note and record what you cannot say and return to step 6 onward.

Advantages:
1. You now have a practice island you can practice alone anywhere, any time, without notes.
2. You can contextualise your islands to your interests (start with holiday for simple language and then graduate to more complex islands aligned with your interests).
3. You start speaking with accuracy from the beginning and internalising relevant vocabulary and grammar.
4. Can shadow your recordings to aid assimilation and pronunciation.

Sorry if this ended a little tersely! I have to rush out!

Best wishes!
11 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”