some questions on IELTS academic

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

some questions on IELTS academic

Postby jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:44 am

hi all,

I have booked and payed for an ielts exam but a bit felt myself regret as I believe I will potentially not be able to show my exact performance on english. because I believe I am at least B2. (I can understand the most of listening videos too now (>80%) but as the experiened test takers know , the exam itself contains some tricks.

here is my quick queries and I may ask some more then if it happens.

1) is the listening recordings are straight texts (being pronunciated) or do they contain some different methods (e.g. : the required answer might be synonmy word of the listened text)?

2) how do you organize yourself or how should I organize in writing if I exposed to a diagram or I am sujected to make comments on a numeric graph ?

3) reading : do you read all the passage each and of all lines one by one?

I see that unfortunately the punctuation and capitalisation is very effective
Last edited by jimmy on Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: some questions on IELTS academic

Postby daegga » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Get yourself a good preparation book and half a year to practice for the specific test format. Especially for writing preparation is key. It is well known what is expected and what examiners will look for, you will lose a lot of points if you don't stick to the expected formulations and format.
Different kind of diagrams, tables, maps, process charts etc. need different kind of answers and different vocabulary.

Reading and writing is in the same sitting, being good enough in reading to finish 5-10 minutes early will also benefit the writing part. Techniques such as skimming and diagonal reading will help there, but also these need some practice.

The main problem with listening is that you only hear the recording once. The answer sheets are rather straight forward, traps are in the dialogue (e.g. people correcting themselves).
3 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:02 pm

jimmy wrote:I have booked and payed for an ielts exam but a bit felt myself regret as I believe I will potentially not be able to show my exact performance on english. because I believe I am at least B2.
(...)
I see that unfortunately the punctuation and capitalisation is very effective

I suspect that it is expected that you have a decent command of the things you mention - punctuation and capitalisation, aside from completing the task.

Test format:

Task focus: This task assesses the ability to identify the most important and relevant information and trends in a graph, chart, table or diagram, and to give a well-organised overview of it using language accurately in an academic style.
(...)
Task 1 responses are assessed on:

• Task achievement
  • Coherence and cohesion
  • Lexical resource
  • Grammatical range and accuracy.

See also the task focus for the general test - I doubt that this can be ignored:
Task focus: This task assesses the ability to follow English letter-writing conventions (i.e. what order to put information in, what style to use, how to start and finish a letter), to use language accurately and appropriately and to organise and link information coherently and cohesively.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:31 pm

thank you jeff and daegga,

to jeff;

Really I tried to mention this one: I saw that I was wrong when I tried to make some practise both via official and other websites in listening part (I only mentioned or focused on listening or did this especially for this section). As ( examples will be given) I saw that there were very minor differences between my answers and correct answers, but the system detects my answers as wrong answers ,like these:

I wrote gassoline , but the correct answer was : gasoline. (is not it containing very minor difference (maybe negelectable really))

as punctuation ,once the sentence is complete (this happened in listening) the system requires/expects the capital letter to start with.

To both daegga and jeff:

really , I do not want to bother anyone as I sometimes think or someone says (yes I may accept that) my personality is a bit fragile.
do you advice to me to take courses from british council ?? will it really be efficacious ?

and how should I understand or make comments about results that I would take?:
(note please there are some publications belonging to me (also in English) but I cannot persuade myself to promise for doing well, the same for reading and writing. )

for confusion on courses: as said , I thought the tips for exam. but do not know what tutor would say , he may even sat that I was not B1 ,so he may request me to take more courses.

as result,I thought I did do a bad thing to pay for exam but make no preperation in advance.

many tnanks for your contributions.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:25 am

the score is 5.5
L: 5.5
R: 5
W: 5
S:6.0

(now ,presumably I can reliefly say that my English is B2)(?)
Last edited by jimmy on Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:34 pm

a notation: I believe I could not show my exact performance (because I did not do almost anything for exam) but do not know whether it would worth to retry.
I was about to consider working as maths teacher in dubai.
Last edited by jimmy on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:51 pm

ah yes, I took the official results by postal mail to my address. and the report already writes / says that the cefr level was B2.
and yes , I shall take the test once again because I believe I can inshallah do the better but I am already better. I had not done a good preparation really because first there was just two weeks to exam and I wanted to see the random results.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”