How do you organize your reading if you happen to read in 3+ foreign languages?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: How do you organize your reading if you happen to read in 3+ foreign languages?

Postby lingua » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:43 pm

anitarrc wrote:
thank you. Is treadmill reading something like this
treadmill reading.jpg

to be honest I wouldn't do it if it would pay my salary.

I'm not following the photo there @anitarrc. By treadmill reading I mean reading a book while walking on the treadmill. The iPad is on a book rack that hooks over the treadmill. The treadmill is boring but it's a necessary part of my life so I take advantage of the ability to read at the same time.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: How do you organize your reading if you happen to read in 3+ foreign languages?

Postby Ogrim » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:25 pm

einzelne wrote:How do you organize your reading routine in your foreign languages? Especially if you happen to read in three or more L2.

To answer the original question: I normally read three or four books in parallel, mostly in three or four different languages. I don't really have a plan, but I try to read the more difficult stuff early in the day and the "easier" languages later in the evening or just before going to sleep.

So as an example: I read/listen to Latin in the Legentibus app during my lunch break or just after finishing work. Then I may read a chapter or two of a book in German or Dutch a bit later in the evening, some Spanish or Italian after dinner and then English, Swedish or Norwegian just before going to sleep.

This is just about reading books, I engage with my languages in many other ways during the day.
7 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”