TOEFL test consideration

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

TOEFL test consideration

Postby jimmy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:42 am

hi all.
I would like to consider once again toefl exam , but not sure for its time. can someone help me please ?
let see what I have in my hands.
6 years ago, I took the test for its first time. the score was :51.
now,I think while I have done almost nothing at the side of listening, I think perfectly speaking ,writing and reading might be better.
just one point that caused me to use "might" modal and feel myself sure at the same time.
I cannot be sure clearly for writing section because it contains one listening section and assessment on it.
anyway, lets see what I need : I need to guarantee at least :60 points overall.

for which aim?
I aim to work in dubai. I forwarded one application and learnt from some locations that 60 points overall would be sufficient ,which is 6.0 points overall 9.0 for IELTS (academic) test. you may confirm this information here: https://www.ets.org/toefl/score-users/s ... ns/compare
note please this equivalency is stated by ets. I do not know what it is regarding british council which I know as the IELTS organizator association.(maybe I am wrong there,I have never took IELTS)

so,what is your idea : is it risky to take it now immediately, or should/can I feel myself confident to take at least 60 overall, (mmm like giving a chance to myself) ?

some notations: I think even its first time I could take 70 or more. but too much excitement, not or lacking to sleep, and having experience all presumably might have brought that very bad result. I cannot guarantee not to feel excited and sleep well for the following but maybe a bit calmer :(
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: TOEFL test consideration

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:32 pm

The TOEFL requires skills in all 4 areas - reading, writing, listening and speaking.

I took it a loooong loooong time ago. (Old format, we actually used cassettes!)

If you need it, take it. But plan ahead.
There are now plenty of tools to do well. Find a language exchange, do vocab drills, listen to the news and radio, etc...

HOWEVER, If someone is asking for the IELTS then take that, you won't be able to change their process. Take the test that matters to your potential employers.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:35 am

Hi zen, in fact i am asking the time plan.

Assume these happens (which of these is better)
Taking the test immediately and taking approximateky 60 points now.

Taking the test 5 years later resulting higher than 80 points.

I want to deal with the maintenance of Arabic these days.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt

Postby jimmy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:58 pm

dear users, I noticed on my ets account that ets provides a new form of toefl ibt exam:"toefl ibt home edition"
it seems very lovely to me and I really have felt myself happy to hear it.
I mailed to ets whether this form of exam was valid worldwide at everywhere as same as toefl ibt implemented at test centers.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”